This mornings walk.

seth49

Reaction score
20240114_105856.jpg

20240114_105726.jpg

20240114_104613.jpg

The Hazel catkins are very early this year.
The river is the ribble looking towards the village of Waddington at the top left.
It's not a bad place to live is it.

@Clive

Reaction score
The second photo is spooky. Not surprising with Pendle Hill being so close. And you have Paradise just over t'hill ;)

Aknib

Reaction score
The Pendle witches... Hmmm, not for me i'm keeping clear, those skeletal trees look a bit overbearing too.

Lovely walk Keith and what a stunning view.

I was treated to a good early morning walk at work this morning, commencing shortly after 5.30am. A walk around the golf course for around four miles doing nothing more than taking flags off the greens and putting them on the temporary holes (when I could find the bloody things in torchlight) due to the hard frost.

Four roe deer, an additional muntjac, countless hares, a brush with the gamekeeper's dog and back home with a weekend treat Costa Latte for just gone 8am.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself...

Exercise, up to see the best part of the day with the sunrise and all on time and a half.

Other times, well... It's probably best I don't talk about 'em :)

nottskev

Reaction score
The second photo is spooky. Not surprising with Pendle Hill being so close.

And you such a rationalist Clive! I used to work in a college literally at the foot of Pendle Hill. The Pendle Witch nonsense, as ever, is a tale of poor women who fall foul of paranoia and superstition. Look up the excellent doc fronted by Simon Armitage, the poet Laureate, The Pendle Witch Child. Iirc, the central character is a 9yr old beggar girl who asks a local bigwig for spare change. He refuses, she tells him to go f himself (or the equivalent of the day) and ..... he drops dead shortly after. Here's the twist: the bloke was a heart attack waiting to happen ( see doc for details) but the girl actually believed, such was her state of understanding and the general climate, that she had cursed him to death and confessed to that!!
Twisty trees are twisty trees. The rest is hokum.

nottskev

Reaction score
And you such a rationalist Clive! I used to work in a college literally at the foot of Pendle Hill. The Pendle Witch nonsense, as ever, is a tale of poor women who fall foul of paranoia and superstition. Look up the excellent doc fronted by Simon Armitage, the poet Laureate, The Pendle Witch Child. Iirc, the central character is a 9yr old beggar girl who asks a local bigwig for spare change. He refuses, she tells him to go f himself (or the equivalent of the day) and ..... he drops dead shortly after. Here's the twist: the bloke was a heart attack waiting to happen ( see doc for details) but the girl actually believed, such was her state of understanding and the general climate, that she had cursed him to death and confessed to that!!

But I should also have said, re Keith's post, it's lovely up there, and the Pendle area - I lived between Nelson and Colne for 4 years - is beautiful.

@Clive

Reaction score
No point my reading the book now given your spoiler! :)

I used to go up there via Ribblehead on photography expeditions and I was offered the Currys Nelson branch managers job at one time. I regularly worked at the Nelson and Burnley branches. It is a beautiful location.

nottskev

Reaction score
No point my reading the book now given your spoiler! :)

I used to go up there via Ribblehead on photography expeditions and I was offered the Currys Nelson branch managers job at one time. I regularly worked at the Nelson and Burnley branches. It is a beautiful location.

It's a documentary. And it's hardly a spoiler, is it, to say there are/were no real witches .......

Lovely place. Landscape, space, history, local character, a great accent (although the rhotic "r" is reported to be dying out.

@Clive

Reaction score
It's a documentary. And it's hardly a spoiler, is it, to say there are/were no real witches .......

Lovely place. Landscape, space, history, local character, a great accent (although the rhotic "r" is reported to be dying out.
You haven't met my sister-in-laws.

seth49

Reaction score
IMG_0198.jpeg
Pendle witch snowdrift.
remember this from around 40 years ago, only ever seen it once, it is definitely a true picture, was on lots of postcards etc around here, it must need the wind from a certain direction to make the snowdrift this shape. On Pendle hill above the village of Worston.