Tom Rawling's Eskdale Sea-Trout Poetry

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Long eclipsed by his celebrity writer and fishing companion on the Cumbrian Esk, H.F. (tales to tell of latter but won't for fear causing online meltdown), Tom Rawling's fine, evocative poetry was only discovered very late. Listen to a night's sea-trout fly fishing live, plus his lovely poetry.

BBC Radio 4 - Night Fishing

greenie62

Reaction score
Almost caught this last night, by accident, but chattering clan allowed it to slip the hook; thanks for the link!

Hi Al,
Betcha wish there was a fishing equivalent of iPlayer where you could bank some of the fish you've had slip off the hook, over the years! ;):rolleyes::eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Not really; they're the ones that tell you where the good spots are. At least, the last one did!
Plus the shaking knees remind you why you bothered...

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Plus the shaking knees remind you why you bothered...
Behave Al,
We're not talking s*x here!
;):D

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

..... a fishing equivalent of iPlayer ...!

I was meaning this in terms of 'À la recherche du temps perdu' - where you can recover time lost by things other than fishing! :cool:

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Having just listened to the programme, I was struck by the way that the poetry was a more eloquent commentary than the 'live' commentary by the presenter - which perfectly matched the confusion of fishing a river in the dark!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very much so, greenie. I have just listened to the programme again and, as a near life-long sea-trouter myself (day and night), I can tell you that it gets not only sea-trouting "in one" but also much of the magic that draws us to water repeatedly, whatever we may fish for.

I never met Tom, but I did know the famous / infamous man who lived in the "Cragg Cottage" farmhouse that the pair walked past to get to the river at the start of the programme. He moved to my village in Wales in the mid 1980s; we lived just 100 yards apart, nodded at each other whenever we saw one another in the village, only getting to talk, then talk fishing over a drink (not wise on my part, as the man had hollow legs), after he had given a talk to a local Angling Association and I had given one a month or two later.

Hugh Falkus.

Good to see that Tom has been recognized for something much more than mere fishing, though. A far nicer and more rounded chap by the sounds of it.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

As with sea-trout so with steelhead - Steelhead: Intriguing wanderers of the Northwest and Idaho | Fishing | Idahostatesman.com

Together with Atlantic salmon, they are intriguing wanderers, their behaviour and timings often differing markedly from river to river. Oh, but when all your instincts and knowledge and calculations and hunches put you in the right place at the right time and the fish are flying all over the river ripping line off your reel!

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Our British summer night-creeping is a far far cry from Tungufljot in the early season snow.

The Fly Fisherman on Vimeo

I had a couple of days on this river, in rather better weather, a long time ago.

I had an Icelander fish with me in far south Clarkson Country (Tierra del Fuego) in the 1990s - "Say, Paul, it's just like home. Same sort of terrain and rivers but with even bigger fish.". Fine, mad-keen anglers and very nice people the Icelanders I have fished with, both on their home patch and elsewhere.