Tricast John Allerton match waggler

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never actually seen tricast float rods in the flesh but have heard some good things about them. One thing that instantly put me off them was the handle as it looks uncomfortable to hold. I recently watched a short video about tricast float rods and have read a few things about them in articles etc, I can't find a bad word said about them and they all stated how confortable the handle is.
I'm interested to hear from anyone who has one and how they find it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Can’t help you there mate, like you I like my Normarks and the only comparable recent addition I’ve bought is a 14’ Acolyte Ultra. It was a toss up between a Tricast and the Ultra and the Ultra won hands down............................................It’s cheaper...;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position regarding the Tricast rods. I hate feeling a screw thread under the heel of my hand. I've not yet been lucky enough to find an owner that'll let me have a go with one, but I have handled three or four of the John Allerton models. Within the limitations of a shop, the rods themselves feel fantastic. Unfortunately, my reservations over the screw up handle have left me unwilling to drop the best part of three hundred quid on one. I still have a hankering for one, I just wish I could get one fitted with a screw down reel seat.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t help you there mate, like you I like my Normarks and the only comparable recent addition I’ve bought is a 14’ Acolyte Ultra. It was a toss up between a Tricast and the Ultra and the Ultra won hands down............................................It’s cheaper...;)

Yeah, normarks are the beesknees for me barbelboi :). I have the acolytes in the plus models 13 and 14ft but you know how it is, you always want to try something else out :eek:mg:.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

I'm in a similar position regarding the Tricast rods. I hate feeling a screw thread under the heel of my hand. I've not yet been lucky enough to find an owner that'll let me have a go with one, but I have handled three or four of the John Allerton models. Within the limitations of a shop, the rods themselves feel fantastic. Unfortunately, my reservations over the screw up handle have left me unwilling to drop the best part of three hundred quid on one. I still have a hankering for one, I just wish I could get one fitted with a screw down reel seat.

Have you ever seen the Allerton 13ft match waggler Sam?
I know it's rated to 8lb mainlines and casts 20 grm so it should be quite a powerfull rod going off those stat's. Tricast do another float rod at 14ft with those same stat's (the trilogy) but I like the sound of the 13ft rod.
They are expensive but i've found a dealer who'll get me one for £230, still a lot but it's 50 notes off the rrp.

I wonder if tricast would make one to order with a screw down seat, that would be good!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you ever seen the Allerton 13ft match waggler Sam?
I know it's rated to 8lb mainlines and casts 20 grm so it should be quite a powerfull rod going off those stat's. Tricast do another float rod at 14ft with those same stat's (the trilogy) but I like the sound of the 13ft rod.
They are expensive but i've found a dealer who'll get me one for £230, still a lot but it's 50 notes off the rrp.

I think I've seen the Match Waggler version. However, I have to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention to it as it's the spliced tip trotting rods that I'm primarily interested in. As I understand it, the Match Waggler is mainly intended for river waggler fishing for the bigger species (not surprising as John Allerton has a hand in it). However, they say it doubles nicely on stillwaters for better fish.

Bobco is the main outlet I've got to see the Tricast rods. Might be worth keeping your eyes on when they have one of their 20% off bank holiday sales.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think I've seen the Match Waggler version. However, I have to be honest, I didn't pay too much attention to it as it's the spliced tip trotting rods that I'm primarily interested in. As I understand it, the Match Waggler is mainly intended for river waggler fishing for the bigger species (not surprising as John Allerton has a hand in it). However, they say it doubles nicely on stillwaters for better fish.

Bobco is the main outlet I've got to see the Tricast rods. Might be worth keeping your eyes on when they have one of their 20% off bank holiday sales.

Thank's for the link Sam. I can't see the Allerton match waggler amongst them. According to the write up on it the rod is suitable for silvers and large fish alike, so an all rounder type of rod. I do have a few rods that perform this job already but the thing is were never satisfied are we, and it's nice to try out new stuff and get a bit of a buzz doing it.
This is the write up on it from tricast...

The 13ft John Allerton Match Waggler is the very latest rod in the John Allerton range. This rod perfectly compliments John’s already established Premier Match Rod Range, which is without doubt the finest range of river rods on the Market. As one of the UKs leading River Anglers, John and the Tri-cast design team, realise how fishing styles and rod ranges have to be reviewed and updated. Therefore, a rod was required that had the lightness and Finesse of his standard13ft Standard Premier Match , but displayed the added backbone in the middle section so that this rod could be used when fishing larger waggler’s and catching larger species of fish.The blank still had to be made with the same subtle touches and action for catching Silver fish on Rivers and Stillwater’s, but in this rod also had to be the qualities to cope with Chub, Barbel and Carp both on fast flowing Rivers and Commercial Stillwater Venues. In other words a rod for all occasions. This is a super slim, lightweight blank, with a crisp parabolic through action which allows pressure to be introduced as required, without fear of the blank locking up. This blank allows you to feel every movement of the fish as well as giving you total control when required. The rod, as expected with the John Allerton Range, comes with the highest Quality Lined Guides, Graphite Reel Fitting and Ultra slim Full Cork Handle.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have a 15ft spliced tip John Allerton which I have had for years. Its a lovely rod regarding the handle I find you get used to it, after a couple of trips out you don't even think about it. Would I recommend one "you bet". But I don't know anything about the waggler version Tigger, never seen one mate :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 15ft spliced tip John Allerton which I have had for years. Its a lovely rod regarding the handle I find you get used to it, after a couple of trips out you don't even think about it. Would I recommend one "you bet". But I don't know anything about the waggler version Tigger, never seen one mate :)

Thank's for the info trotter, good to hear from someone who has experience of them :).
So the handle doesn't seem to be a problem after all, that's good news. Pity you've not seen the waggler version, I am teetering on the edge of ordering one, but it seems a little daft without having seen one or speaking to anyone who has. I'm also interested in the 14ft trilogy XS which is rated to the same casting and line ratings as the Allerton waggler. I think the 13ft waggler is 160 grames and the 14ft trilogy is 154 so that's a little strange. It makes me think the 13ft waggler may be a more powerfull rod, or at least a little less fragile.
Trotter, how would you compare your tricast to the 15ft acolyte?

trotter2

Reaction score
Again mine is the premier range spliced tip version Tricast. I don't have the acolyte I did contemplate getting one but all the talk of the tip sections breaking put me off :(.

I do have the drennan ultralight 14ft to compare too the Allerton in comparision the allerton is more snappy, faster on the strike being a spliced tip, its also got more power in the butt section to cope with bigger fish and you don't feel out of control with a 5lb chub thumping on the end like you do with the ultralight but the allerton it is also a very good rod for smaller dace and grayling.

Having said that the ultralight is lighter and feels more delicate. For small fish the ultralight is good and for the price (good value) IMO.

But really as a much more all-round rod the tricast is a lot better tigger, and it should be taking into account the price difference between the two rods. I know they are very highly regarded because its practically the only spliced tip rod you can buy today and a lot of stick float anglers still like a spliced tip rod, myself included.

I don't know anything about the waggler version because I have never seen one, or know anyone who has one yet.
I would try and visit a tackle shop and have a wiggle first.
If there anything like the original Allertons they should be quality mate.
All just IMO :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank's for the info trotter, I value your opinion bud. I reckon i'll see if I still have the urge to get one after crimbo and the new year and if I do them i'll get one and give it a try.
Regarding the acolyte rods, speaking from my own experience with my 13 and 14ft plus's, I can only praise them really, only downside is the hook keeper being placed to near to the screw down reel seat, it won't allow the top peice of the reel seat to screw open enough to fit some of my centrepin feet into it. Easy enough to cut them off I know but why should you.
I've never used a fiften foot version but have friends who rate them very highly and have had no breakages....yet lol.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I spoke to someone at Tricast yesterday and asked him what he thought was the best suitable float rod they have to target barbel. The rod i'd been thinking of getting was the the John Allerton waggler. He told me the allerton waggler was too soft an action and that the Trilogy XS is the best one to go for. I told him I was impressed with that rods weight as it's advertised as being 152 grames...he said no to forget that weight is the blank only! In all honesty i'm rapidly going off the idea of getting a tricast rod.
Has anyone handled the 14ft trilogy XS ?

dicky123

Reaction score
Trigger. Can I ask what you decided in the end buddy.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trigger. Can I ask what you decided in the end buddy.

You certainly can ****y123 :).
I did get a allerton match waggler 12ft rod.
Thiis was the first time I used it, the day after I got it...

These were other times....

trotter2

Reaction score
Looks a capable rod trigger I would say , is it a favourite these days.?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's mainly the handle/reel seat that I don't like, but, I can cope with it and have sort of worked my way round having to touch the threaded bit very much during use. It's a nice light blank and where the reel seat gives a bit of a minus, the actual handle length redeems it. For me, the handle is just the right length and is nice and manouverable whilst swapping hands etc during my trotting.
Initially when handling the rod in the shop (a few years back already!) It felt light in my hand, but I wasn't sure if the blank might be a bit soft in the mid section and maybe slow down my strke, but, in actual use on the bank it doesn't at all. I do think the blank is a very good quality one, and has hidden power, what you might call "a wolf in sheeps clothing". It has proved it's worth when catching both very small fish and some quite decent barbel and chub.
Without doubt it is a very capable rod and one i've yet to see another person using.

It is a totally different rod to the tricast spliced tip rods, it being much slimer and lighter and with a totally different action.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The tricast John allerton match waggler rod is only 13ft so you can forget it as a contender if your after a 14 footer.

I can't vouch for any of the other models in the tricast stable.

dicky123

Reaction score
Thanks mate, brought the 15' spliced tip as you probably know by now. I've got the barbel rods covered with the Acolyte plus and my faithfull Daiwa 13'/15' Daiwa Spectron. Really pleased your happy after spending such a large amount of money mate. :love::love: