Trigger/ Baitcasting rod

mikench

Reaction score
I have a couple of baitcasting reels one of which I have yet to use. I have a light baitcasting rod( Gunki) but it’s recommended for lures to 28g. I have a few lures that are 60g I fancy using for pike. Can anyone recommend a medium / heavy 7’plus rod as per the thread title.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend a baitcasting rod/handle to you Mike.
My advice would be to get a rod with an ordinary reel seat. You can still use a multiplier or baitcaster reel on it.

Check out the fox terminator rods, there is a baitcaster reel in the range.

steve2

Reaction score
I much prefer trigger baitcasting rods when using multipliers they fit my hands and feel better when casting.
My rod for bigger lures is a Savage gear one piece 6ft 6" Black Savage.
The Savage range is good and not overpriced.
The others are American imports and Masterline rods from years ago.
The Masterline was a good design in that it came with 2 handles one for multplier reels and the other for FS reels

mikench

Reaction score
Baitcaster reels are mini multipliers and sit on top of the rod handle with the eyes also on top. I have the reels which you can use on a normal rod .

chrissh

Reaction score
Mike, I have a Daiwa prorex baitcaster rod which will cast an 80g lure.

The rod you have will be ok for pike fishing the only time you will need the heavy 60g lures is if your fishing a fast water or a deep lake or trolling. if your fishing your local rivers or cannel using a 60g your catch more weed then fish

As you say you haven’t used the reels yet get used to them first on light lures you will be surprise what you will catch on light lures

Then if you get on with that type of fishing buy a heaver rod to cast 60g plus lures

Good luck with birds’ nests

mikench

Reaction score
I have experience of them already Chris as I use one baitcaster reel for spinning in the sea with various lures. I cope well with a certain weight of spoon or lure, then change it for a heavier one and forget to adjust the drag. The inevitable birds nest occurs and I give up. I like them though and have practiced quite a bit with them on a local football pitch. They are definitely not the easiest to use.

I think I will defer to your advice; :) The Prorex looks a good rod. I looked at the Daiwa Tatula which gets good reviews.

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry I am confused as to what type reels you are using? Are you saying you can use them on a rod with the eye underneath?

mikench

Reaction score
They will fit on a normal reel seat but are intended to sit on top of the handle inline with uppermost eyes.

E9165A24-925C-4314-8055-DD7980BE4829.jpeg
4FF406E7-B530-464E-9E93-33C131C24269.jpeg

steve2

Reaction score
Where did you buy your reel shops don't seem to stock them. Plenty on line but I would like to see before buying. Considering another rod and reel purchase.

mikench

Reaction score
From Amazon. A friend recommended the reel and Kastking generally. They are a US company.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The KastKing reel is made in China it is currently available from Ali Express for about £30 . It’s even cheaper if you can wait until their sale from 11th November, it ships from Spain. I bought a rod trim them recently and it took about three weeks to arrive. I am going to order a Diawa Tatula from them when the Sale is on.

This reel will be about £100 less than the price in the UK. Much as I like to support local tackle dealers, as evidenced by the fact that I believe I am solely responsible for paying my local dealers mortgage and car payments. A saving of over fifty percent isn’t to be sniffed at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Is that the Tatula SV Tw 103 Baitcaster reel range Ray. I do fancy one of those .

emmamark

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a mid tier Baitcaster reel. Budget around $350. It'll be mounted on a 6'6" T-Curve Lucanus Jig which is a medium action/weight rod. Needs to perform in saltwater - important, so I guess no mg reels. Happy to buy from Japan or local. New or very good condition used. Not really after a finesse reel as it won't suit the rod. Want it in a lefty as well.
Locally, a Shimano Curado K is on budget - wildfishingman would prefer a Chronarch G but it's quite a few more dollars. JDM Chronarchs all seem to be freshwater reels. JDM Engetsu seems pretty good, although only 4kg of drag in the HG version might be a downside. In the Daiwa camp a JDM HRF PE Special seems to tick most boxes, as does a JDM Zillion TW.
Looking to be able handle school Jewies and that size/caliber of fish off estuary banks. Prefer a reel from the big two makers.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a mid tier Baitcaster reel. Budget around $350. It'll be mounted on a 6'6" T-Curve Lucanus Jig which is a medium action/weight rod. Needs to perform in saltwater - important, so I guess no mg reels. Happy to buy from Japan or local. New or very good condition used. Not really after a finesse reel as it won't suit the rod. Want it in a lefty as well.
Locally, a Shimano Curado K is on budget - would prefer a Chronarch G but it's quite a few more dollars. JDM Chronarchs all seem to be freshwater reels. JDM Engetsu seems pretty good, although only 4kg of drag in the HG version might be a downside. In the Daiwa camp a JDM HRF PE Special seems to tick most boxes, as does a JDM Zillion TW.
Looking to be able handle school Jewies and that size/calibre of fish off estuary banks. Prefer a reel from the big two makers.

This site is based in the UK. Prices here could differ drastically to wherever you are based. I have a Shimano Tranx and so far it has performed faultlessly, they are sealed and can be used in salt water. I have a Diawa Tatula too, they are not salt water proof but they make a model called a Diawa Coastal which is very similar to the Tatula but is made for saltwater environments. They look very nice.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Some of the Savage Gear rod range are well worth a look, I have a Black Savage in 20-60g which is a nice little rod. My brother in law has a slightly different model which is also pretty good.