ultra light, thames trout

W

Wolfman Woody

Hahah! Find them first of all.

The odd ones used to turn up in matches around Marlow a few years ago, usually in the trout's close season so they couldn't be weighed anyway. I've spent years spinning for perch and therefore trout, but never caught one. I then tried the fly for a couple of years and got the feeling it was like practising flagellation, necraphelia, and bestiality at the same time - in other words , flogging a dead horse.

Shame really because where I now fish used to be a fishing lodge dedicated to trout fishing. I've asked the EA to put egg boxes on the weir to help build up a new breeding stock of Thames trout, but get no joy.

I did see a small one in a side stream at Swinford on the Isis, but that was maybe 3 years ago now. It's probably moved on.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Of course the EA cannot deny there's any trout left in the Thames otherwise they will have failed in their duty to preserve all river species.

So anytime after April first that you want to go spinning for trout, go ahead! Use as large a lure as you like, even up to jerkbait size, although you might attract some strange looks!

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

audi49

Reaction score
jerkbait size, you sure mate, i thought more ultra light and stealthy as to not scare them before i even start to retrieve

also if i were to succeed in catching one then would it be proof to the EA that they exist and therefor reason to fullfill their duty

eric hall

Reaction score
I caught a small one a while back on the tidal Thames at Barnes Bridge, must have been 9 years ago now, trotting maggots using a 'Trent Trotter' Float and fished shallow, put up a good fight and was a nice suprise probably weighed 12oz.

Good Luck, Location will be the key, maybe Teddington Lock and Weirpools???

Eric
www.anglinginitaly.com

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>thamesoddity wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

jerkbait size, you sure mate, i thought more ultra light and stealthy as to not scare them before i even start to retrieve</blockquote>

No mate, use decent sized lures and wire traces, 50lbs braid just in case you catch the odd toothy trout. The long ones with the dorsal at their back end.

Note the winks /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Not so good to eat of course, but will save you having a blank day though.

audi49

Reaction score
well well well, i wouldnt fish for pike in the closed season,

pike dont taste bad actualy, and i am of the persuation that doesnt fish jerkbaits with stupidly strong, big tackle, for almost all my lurefishing i use ultra light tackle, tbh i would rather blank for thames trout yet know i could have had one than catch an out of season pike and reel it in without a flap of the tail using biggame gear

John Hogan

Reaction score
Seen the odd one at teddington lock in the last few years. I worked for the publishing company that owned the carpark opposite the lock, used to spend my lunch hour looking for signs of life. I an convinved they are there.

Krang

Reaction score
They are in there still.

IMG_20200622_153448.jpg

It looks to me like they are in fact descendants of the original Thames trout population. Notice the distinctive silvering along the back.

imgID55607134.jpg.gallery.jpg

540x360.jpg

I guess they must have held out in the mouths of relatively unpolluted tributaries through the time when the Thames was so horribly polluted.

Last edited: