Using live mealworms

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have tried the dried variety as sold in pet shops for bird food but found them to be next to useless, very brittle and difficult to put on the hook and did not get a bite when I did mange it. Mixed in ground bait they just floated but even ground up I cannot imagine they have much scent attraction as all the guts have gone however-
I came across an article how to breed mealworms, basically quite easy for a steady supply and the live ones look like a different proposition, like big maggots and big casters in the pupae stage. Basically breeding them in a biscuit tin, layers of bran and a bit of potato and they they will keep producing, the whole life cycle goes on, worm, pupae, and beetle and just keep taking what you want. Even the beetles can be put on the hook. Anyone tried this or any thoughts?
beetle mealworm.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I tried them as a bait but not a nibble. You would think something like an oversized maggot would be popular but no. An experiment I am unlikely to repeat.

On reflection it was waxworms i tried but very similar being the caterpillar larvae of the waxwing moth. The company which supplied them mail order also sold meal worms.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have since found a couple of articles that live mealworms and pupae are good for roach, chub, bream etc. I think worth a go. You can buy about 200 live mealworms for a fiver on-line to start off with. What's appealing is you just keep going, the tin is like a miniature breeding factory, no flies to contend with. Could save a lot in maggot fees, not that I use them much.

Molehill

Reaction score
Long time back I remember breeding them, was working with endangered birds (Galliformes from around the world) and the supply of mealworms were for the chicks when they came out of incubators. Tried to replicate a mother teaching the chick to feed by using a pair of tweezers to pick up and drop the mealworms in front of them, till they got the hang of feeding themselves.
Anyway, far as I can remember breeding them consisted of a couple of trays with bran or something, keep them warm and nothing else - we just took what we wanted out - they looked after themselves. No idea how they get moisture? Not ure I would know how to get one on the hook, need my glasses on ?.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Long time back I remember breeding them, was working with endangered birds (Galliformes from around the world) and the supply of mealworms were for the chicks when they came out of incubators. Tried to replicate a mother teaching the chick to feed by using a pair of tweezers to pick up and drop the mealworms in front of them, till they got the hang of feeding themselves.
Anyway, far as I can remember breeding them consisted of a couple of trays with bran or something, keep them warm and nothing else - we just took what we wanted out - they looked after themselves. No idea how they get moisture? Not ure I would know how to get one on the hook, need my glasses on ?.
I got this from a bird site :-

It can become quite expensive to constantly buy mealworms, so you might want to grow your own.

For a constant supply of mealworms, prepare a large circular biscuit tin as follows:

• Punch small holes in the lid for ventilation, place a layer of old hessian sacking in the bottom and sprinkle fairly thickly with bran. Put a slice or two of bread and raw potato, followed by another two layers of sacking/bran/bread/potato, like a three-decker sandwich. You can put a raw cabbage leaf on top if you like. Keep the tin at room temperature, not in hot sun.
  • Introduce two or three hundred mealworms into the prepared tin. After a few weeks the mealworms will turn into creamy pupae, then into little black beetles.
  • The beetles will lay eggs which hatch into mealworms and so on. Crop as necessary. Replace the bread, potato and cabbage as necessary.
  • If you want to start new colonies, prepare another tin and transfer some bits of dry bread (these will carry beetle eggs) from the flourishing colony.
And this:-

The mealworm is a good – if slightly offbeat – roach, bream and chub bait. In fact it’s not a worm at all, but the grub of the mealworm beetle; it is slightly larger than a gozzer.

The adult beetle is of no use to anyone, except fishermen. It damages grain and cereal products in granaries and mills. But the mealworm itself makes a good source of food for the numerous pet birds that eat insects. It is quite widely available in pet shops, but be warned—it doesn’t come cheap. Fortunately, though mealworms are fairly expensive, they can be kept for a long time.

Maintaining mealworms

Store them in a well-ventilated container with clean bran or oatmeal inside for them to feed on. Keep them at an even temperature.

Some anglers keep mealworms long enough for them to turn into pupae, then into adult beetles which then breed. This way an everlasting bait supply is always at hand, especially since it is possible to fish with the pupae and adult beetles as well as the grubs.

Take them along to the bank in a maggot box pierced with small holes to provide air.

Mounting mealworms

Mealworms are fairly hard skinned, but they have a tendency to break off at the tail end during casting. This means that they should always be hooked through a middle segment, where they are much tougher.

rayner

Reaction score
I just can't see the appeal of mealworms!
In my humble opinion, there's no better bait than casters a close second is maggots. Even less experienced anglers know how to look after maggots, they are easy to feed by catapult or hand and you get the option to turn casters from maggots if for some reason they are leftover.
Maggots rule.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I used to fish with my late father in law in Belgium when I went to visit. The tackle shops sold them along with other bait such as; maggots, worms, crickets and small minnow sized fish. I caught most species on them but they weren’t any better than any other bait. They look like they would be great but soon drown and seemingly become less appetising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I take the above points and would probably find they are no better than other baits however, the great appeal to me is these can be bred relatively easily in your garden shed or home and will continually breed, if you start of with 200 mealworms they will pupate, turn in to beetles which will lay eggs and so on. so, all in the same container for perpetuity I assume as long as you keep a bit of food going and maybe the odd clear out and refresh the bran etc. A bit like a wormery I suppose. Also it is the pupae that appeal to me, they are apparently a bit larger than casters and white, i somehow can see them being more fish attractive. And on some waters where fish have become maggot/caster shy they may just work better.
Anyway I may have a go, the proof will be in the pudding as they say, I see you can get mealworm starter kits for about £11

mikench

Reaction score
I take the above points and would probably find they are no better than other baits however, the great appeal to me is these can be bred relatively easily in your garden shed or home and will continually breed, if you start of with 200 mealworms they will pupate, turn in to beetles which will lay eggs and so on. so, all in the same container for perpetuity I assume as long as you keep a bit of food going and maybe the odd clear out and refresh the bran etc. A bit like a wormery I suppose. Also it is the pupae that appeal to me, they are apparently a bit larger than casters and white, i somehow can see them being more fish attractive. And on some waters where fish have become maggot/caster shy they may just work better.
Anyway I may have a go, the proof will be in the pudding as they say, I see you can get mealworm starter kits for about £11
Maggots and Worms I can get away with but with breeding meal worms I would have a difficult choice. I think on balance er indoors would get the nod. :rolleyes: ;) :):)

rich66

Reaction score
Might give Mario’s a try, we’ve always got a few knocking around we have a bearded dragon. They are an extra larger mealworm.
I was looking at some of the grubs we feed her today.
Look at these things Chub bait ?

Attachments

• 4823B41F-20A9-4A82-8189-13002650E871.jpeg
    4823B41F-20A9-4A82-8189-13002650E871.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Might give Mario’s a try, we’ve always got a few knocking around we have a bearded dragon. They are an extra larger mealworm.
I was looking at some of the grubs we feed her today.
Look at these things Chub bait ?

I get a load of those from my garden and compost bin in the summer.

Looked perfect for chub and barbel but over several sessions I did not get a bite! There were fish around and I caught them on the usual boilies or pieces of cooked prawn.

My fishing buddy was catching on maggots, don't get why these big grubs failed!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I must admit it does seem strange, the general opinion is these do not work as well as they should, Mike could be right, some sort of natural defense. But on the internet there are sites stating they do work. I think the outlay is low to give it a go so I might try it in the summer. I have some nice slow river stretches' with bream, chub roach, and even the odd tench maybe so I can experiment and see if they are any good. These stretches usually produce a few chub and roach at least so I think a few handfuls and trotted down alternating with bread and sweetcorn will decide it. I always love trying something new or different, it makes it interesting. Bloody hell, I was just transported for a moment then to another world:)

Wakou

Reaction score
Bloody hell, I was just transported for a moment then to another world
Me too!
Many years ago I was interested in keeping fish in aquariums. Mealworms, and the breeding thereof were considered "a good thing". If fish in tanks, (usually, of course much much smaller than those we want to catch), eat them with relish, surely, wild fish would too?
Could it be a case of habituation?
It would be interesting to experiment, possibly with a camera. Or in summer on small streams where we could watch chub, roach, barbel and perch and their reactions to free-offerings of mealworms?
Anyway, I would say , if you have a warm-ish room where other family members don't object then go for it!
Mealworms are like crack-cocaine or heroin to garden robins, and can be used to 'train' robins to feed from the hand!

Philip

Reaction score
Not fresh but I am fairly sure I saw some mealworms being sold in tiny glass jars under the Berkley Powerbait label.

Slightly bizzarely I have actually become more squimish with age. No idea why.