Value of vintage rod

The fishing coach

Reaction score
It's beautifully made rod but I'm reluctant to call anything a classic, as that has become a much misused term.
Enough to say that it does all I expected of it and I can fish all day with it, which is more than I can say for my favourite 15ft Harrison Gti. Arthritis threatens!

It performs best with medium wagglers in tight swims with overhead cover, which is what I wanted it for.

Thanks again to all of you for your contributions.

midz

Reaction score
I'm sure the whisker kevlar was top of the range at the time,then the amorphous whiskers came out and took over them which were 24 strand at the same time the daiwa powermesh was the 12 strand next down in the range.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure the whisker kevlar was top of the range at the time,then the amorphous whiskers came out and took over them which were 24 strand at the same time the daiwa powermesh was the 12 strand next down in the range.

It was the "amorphous" that had 24 strand. The amorphous whisker had 12 strand kevlar.

midz

Reaction score
On angling direct its 24 on the amorphous whisker rods the whisker kevlar rods were a green colour too

Keith M

Reaction score
Tigger is correct; I have the 1995 Diawa catalogue in front of me and I quote from the Amorphous Whisker Match rod description in it:

Constructed from High Modulus Carbon cloth, reinforced by Silicon Carbide Whiskers and 12 strand Amorphous Braid

It’s also 12 strand on their Amporphous Whisker leger rods.

However; The Kevin Nash Amorphous Whisker Carp Rod description in the same 1995 Diawa catalogue states:

Diawa C.A.D. System Engineers have produced High Modulus Carbon Blanks wrapped in 24 strand Amorphous Braid

The Powermesh Carp rods description in the same 1995 Diawa catalogue says;

Daiwa Powermesh Carp rods are constructed from top quality carbon, encased in 12 strand high elasticity Powermesh carbon braid

I still have two of the Amorphous Whisker Match rods (AMW14 & AMW13L) and one of the Powermesh Carp rods (PMC2200) from 1995 and I still think they’re great rods.

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I had the Team Daiwa Amorphous Whisker 12’9” Beachcaster.

Wish I still had it!

sam vimes

Reaction score
This thread is demonstrating nicely why you need to use full names and, preferably codes, when it comes to Daiwa rods. They constantly recycle names on quite different rods and have done so over decades and multiple different ranges of rod.

As an example, I have two different versions of Tom Pickering Matchwinner rods. Without seeing the rods, the later version is distinguishable by the codes and an additional "S" in the full name. The problem is exacerbated when many people shorten the name further to nothing more than "Matchwinner". Unfortunately, there have been at least five different ranges of Matchwinners that I know of, though only two had the Tom Pickering tag. The full name of the earlier rod I have is Tom Pickering Whisker Match Matchwinner Waggler (TPM 13W). The following incarnation was the Amorphous Coil Matchwinner-S Tom Pickering Waggler Special (MW-S M130W).

I also have a soft spot for the original Powermesh rods. I know that Powrmesh-X rods followed the originals and rod codes were largely the same with an X bunged in. PMS and PMC became PMS-X and PMC-X, but it wasn't just a cosmetic change. Whilst the underlying blanks may have been the same, the diamond pattern wrap (there's some debate as to whether the diamond pattern was just decoration anyway) was not apparent on the later rods. Very recently, Daiwa have resurrected the Powermesh name. However, the recent rods have nothing in common with the original or X versions.

mikench

Reaction score
What would be a good pike rod( forgiving/soft) from the 90's ?

I would be unlikely to be casting far!

Mtay83

Reaction score
I have come across this thread while trying to find out about a couple of rods that I have owned for a while. I have an Amorphous Whisker Harrier Match - Model No. AWL 113SW soft, medium, heavy 11' - 13' & an Amorphous Whisker Connoisseur X - Model No. CN-XL 113SWQ 11' - 13' Still Water Combo Feeder Medium Heavy. Anyone have any information about these? I assume the Connoisseur is a 90's rod by the look of it and the Harrier is an 80's (ish). Any help welcome :)

Attachments

• Amorphous Whisker Connoisseur - x.jpg
    Amorphous Whisker Connoisseur - x.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • Amorphous Whisker Connoisseur - x1.jpg
    Amorphous Whisker Connoisseur - x1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 148
  • Amorphous Whisker Harrier Match 1.jpg
    Amorphous Whisker Harrier Match 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 198
  • Amorphous Whisker Harrier Match.jpg
    Amorphous Whisker Harrier Match.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249

silvers

Reaction score
what you have there is the “classic” amorphous stillwater ... still a very good rod for bream fishing (but not massive chucks around 100m).
I have two that I acquired second hand.
iirc those rods came out in 1990 or 91 ... the predecessor (whisker harrier - no amorphous in the title) was only available As one style ... whereas the amorphous was sold as Stillwater and river variants. Obviously the river model was made to hurl larger feeders.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A search of eBay's sold items can give you an idea of what the going rate might be. However, it's worth noting that asking prices are often expected to be less on other sales platforms.

AWL113SW

CN-XL113SWQ