Warwickshire Avon

ecovandal

Reaction score
Hi , I'm fishing the River Avon very soon on a BAA ticket with my father. My father has limited access issues, not disabled but limited. He loves roach fishing especially with hemp. It would be really helpful if your collective knowledge could suggest the best place for roach within easier access for a senior. Anywhere on the Avon is fine (also the Severn for future reference).

Many Thanks

rob48

Reaction score
Easiest access on the Avon for decent roach fishing on BAA waters is probably Marlcliff and Cleeve Prior, nice steady water with car parks on the river bank.
An alternative to BAA is Leamington AA's Lido stretch just above Stratford which I think is available on day ticket. There's a large car park just off the Warwick road right on the river bank. This is an excellent area for roach on maggot or seed baits and is fishing well at the moment. I had 25lb+ weights while staying at the cottages just upstream of here a couple of weeks ago and would probably have caught more if pike hadn't shown up.

Bbest on the Severn heading into autumn is Ladyham or Ribbesford.
Ladyham has parking on the river bank and is a decent stretch.
Ribbesford has roadside parking in lay-bys along the top (shallower, about 3' at normal level, stretch) or you can park by the football ground for the bottom end where the river deepens considerably and is good heading further into winter when there's likely to be extra water on.
Further down river Severn Stoke is another good stretch with parking near some of the pegs. This is a deep stretch which requires familiarity with that style of fishing but there's big roach and bream about, as well as the barbel.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The Lido stretch is good , and the stretch in centre of Stratford , large car park and easy access to the river .
When I was last there I parked near the butterfly farm and walked down , And if you had a blue badge it was free parking .

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Was going to say the centre of Stratford - easy parking, flat banks & some benches. Can just get a bit busy with passers by or boats sometimes.

steve2

Reaction score
I am moving to the Evesham area in a few weeks so this info plus anything else anyone knows about fishing in this area would be most helpful.
I now do manyly lure fishing for perch pike and chub. Although the roach fishing sounds good.
Thanks for any info

rob48

Reaction score
The recreation ground in Stratford town is the widest bit of the river in the area and subsequently the slowest paced, which is presumably why most of the bream congregate there. It's normally a bit too busy for me but it's usually quiet enough along Seven Meadows behind the racecourse

If I was trying to catch pike I'd just carry on fishing for roach as I do now and cast a lure occasionally or put a dead bait out. I can't seem to avoid them unfortunately.
You know when they're nearby on the Avon because the roach and dace that love to come up and take loose feed near the surface suddenly stay deep and the next fish hooked is likely to be attacked. I always try and bully them in a bit in these situations or net them further out in the river as soon as they come up.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Hi , I'm fishing the River Avon very soon on a BAA ticket with my father.

You do realise there are no day tickets, or guest tickets with BAA membership? So, assuming your father is also a BAA member, by far the easiest access is Cleeve Prior, where you can literally park behind every peg downstream of Stubbs Pool.

But there are travellers nearby and they have been troublesome in the past. If you choose to fish there I know a bailiff who scares the life out of them. I can give you his number if you send me a PM and a copy of your membership ID card.

rob48

Reaction score
Enjoyable film of fishing the Lido stretch by a consistently successful river matchman:

containing some interesting views on tackle choice and observations of river fishing in general.

Last edited: