Weather forecasts

seth49

Reaction score
Just had a very heavy shower here as forecast on weather radar, and more to come later, doesn’t look to bad for tomorrow.

theartist

Reaction score
Drove through some real bad weather last night, bottom line with the weather forecast is that if there are showers about they tend to over egg their frequency and distribution, as more people moan about getting a soaking than getting some much needed rain for their garden or local rivers.

Molehill

Reaction score
My wife follows BBC weather and I the Met office, even in our little village in the middle of nowhere they hardly ever agree, it has become a source of amusement whenever it rains or shines to check our forecasts and see who is right.
I imagined that if computer said sunshine they would all predict sunshine - but it doesn't seem to work like that!

steve2

Reaction score
After a bright start it now pouring down just like the forecast said it would around midday.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
HERE ARE TWO INFALLIBLE WEATHER INDICATORS.
FE00001.jpg
bbecbd753b6829245044a4db9eec4d41.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though the systems and technology has got so much better over the recent years I still never forget Michael Fish, October 15th 1987 . . . . and that "no hurricane" that took half the roof off of my house and demolished my garage and greenhouse . . . .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I worked at a garage in Orpington when the hurricane struck. It was a Rover franchise and we stored all of our stock in a field in Sevenoaks. By some freak of nature every tree surrounding the field fell inwards wrecking all of the new cars. To add insult to injury the garage signs also blew down and slaughtered another half dozen on the forecourt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I worked at a garage in Orpington when the hurricane struck. It was a Rover franchise and we stored all of our stock in a field in Sevenoaks. By some freak of nature every tree surrounding the field fell inwards wrecking all of the new cars. To add insult to injury the garage signs also blew down and slaughtered another half dozen on the forecourt.

Maybe an ill wind does blow a little good every now and then . . . . that was one way to be rid of a Rover stock ;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was stuck in Tunbridge Wells for a couple of days after that storm with my then girlfriend and couldn't go to work so, not far away from Sevenoaks, all the roads were blocked. I remember we walked in a local park and it looked like a bomb had hit it. Another big storm which I cant remember the date now it blew half the roof off my parents house. It was a listed building and had to be re-slated in special tiles, cost my dad a fortune.

john step

Reaction score

I was fast asleep for that storm. My wife woke me up two or three times in the night to tell me it was windy. I really got the hump about being woke up as I didnt appreciate how bad it was and how worried she was.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
At the time of the "big storm" we lived in a house where the living space was upstairs and the bedrooms below. Odd arrangement as it was sort of built against a bank so the bedrooms were below street level. Almost like sleeping in a bunker. Needless to say we both slept right through it despite massive trees at the bottom of the quite short garden.

I tried to get in to work the next day but I was due on a course "up West". No chance.
Sadly....Mrs S was within walking distance of her then office and was one of a very few that got in.

Keith M

Reaction score
Apparently the civilian MET office said that there were no weather observations/reports being received from any ships to the southwest of the UK that night so they didn’t have any warnings.

I find this very hard to believe as It’s usually a very busy part of the Atlantic with ships moving in and out the English Channel and moving up along the west side of the UK; however; as unlikely as it seems it could have been true.

However to me it smells of their weather map plotters not being as alert as they could have been that night; and not populating their charts with enough data from any ships that were near to the relevant areas that night.

I wonder if the Met offices in France, Spain and Portugal knew about the storm coming up from the southwest that night; or even what the Met offices on our own Royal Navy ships were forecasting that night?

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Last Saturday and last night on pulling up to my garage after fishing biblical rain,thunder,haistones etc,after Saturdays drenching I sat waiting for it to ease before attempting any unloading,quite incredible that two trips ended exactly the same,Ive started building my ark...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Last Saturday and last night on pulling up to my garage after fishing biblical rain,thunder,haistones etc,after Saturdays drenching I sat waiting for it to ease before attempting any unloading,quite incredible that two trips ended exactly the same,Ive started building my ark...
Don't forget to put your fishing gear on board. :)

Yesterday the weather radar forecast proved to be more accurate than the Met and the BBC one. The rain held off until the evening. I noticed they changed their forecast in the morning, maybe this is why it is better, they update it more often.

steve2

Reaction score
Just to show how hit and miss forecasting can be. Yesterday we had more or less dry weather till evening but less than 400 yards away it had been pouring down and the roads were flooded. Today it appears is going to be another one of those days hit or miss.

Reaction score
Best weather app I’ve found is, Weather Radar. It’s not bad at all when you consider the weather changes from valley to valley around here some days, the met office is another I have, but it’s not quite as good.
Is that by Netweather??? I used this for some time...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The one I bookmarked is Net-weather, I wasn't clear myself as I googled Weather Radar, got on to that site and then put in my local postcode and ended up with this Net-weather page. I am not sure whether it is all part of Weather-radar but it has what I want so I stuck with it.