Weed Cutter/Landing net handle

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
HI. During the Autumn I was using my 4m landing net handle to cut some weeds out of my swim with a Dinsmore Single sided weed cutter attached and the end broke on the landing net handle.
Can anyone suggest or is anyone using a 4m plus telescopic landing net handle that will do the job of clearing lilies, weed and the like from a swim with a single sided Dinsmore weed cutter attached to the end. Thanks.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
I hike about 2 miles to some of my fishing spots and I tend to travel as light as possible which to be honest it’s not always possible so I wouldn’t really bring the weed rake with me only if I was preparing the swim a day or week before that’s why I find the weed cutters so handy.

Keith M

Reaction score
You can still buy 2mtr aluminium extending net handles if you do a search on the Web.

Leeda still sell a telescopic one for around £10 and the screw end is riveted into the aluminium handle and theres a few different ones up to around £15 or so for sale by other companies too for you to have a look at.

Failing that there's always shorter one piece 6ft carp net handles to fall back on, which are pretty strong.

Keith

Last edited:

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
You can still by the aluminium extending net handles if you do a search on the Web.

Leeda still sell a telescopic one for around £10 and the screw end is riveted into the aluminium handle and theres a few different ones up to around £15 or so for sale by other companies too for you to have a look at.

Failing that there's always shorter one piece 6ft carp net handles to fall back on, which are pretty strong.

Keith
Thanks Keith

mikench

Reaction score
I use a Gardner Saw attachment for trimming reeds, branches and other plants. I attach it to a 2m landing net handle or occasionally a Drennan Twistlock(3m) . The shorter stiffer handle gives more purchase and leverage on the saw. Without that rigidity the saw would be useless. It's still a hard job on some branches. I then resort to a bank stick. Much better.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
I use a Gardner Saw attachment for trimming reeds, branches and other plants. I attach it to a 2m landing net handle or occasionally a Drennan Twistlock(3m) . The shorter stiffer handle gives more purchase and leverage on the saw. Without that rigidity the saw would be useless. It's still a hard job on some branches. I then resort to a bank stick. Much better.
4036548C-C4B4-457D-8BAF-0F9994D5E6A7.jpeg
I carry this bad boy for branches. The saw blade is so aggressive.

Reaction score
I don't think you will get a metal landing net pole 4m long,in fact imo 4m is too long anyway,as it isn't as controllable,I prefer strong extendable poles,more in tune with specimen fishing,I have two 3m Drennan twistlock poles for different rod bags,I also have a Darent Valley 3m,Korum do a 2.8m I believe,Nash do a good one too,the thing that I find is that often I don't need to extend at all for optimum netting,I believe 4m landing net poles are for Zorro like matchmen trying to net fish before they are ready,as you are a pleasure angler I would take time to get every fish in the net,as you are only competing with yourself....On the weed cutting side,the specimen type poles I mention are far stronger than the majority of floppy 4m poles,imv any pole that bends with a decent fish in the net isn't worth the time of day,that is for any style of fishing,including match fishing,i've seen anglers in matches with a two pound fish whilst using a landing net pole made of what looks like Geoff Boycott's stick of rhubarb....

Last edited:

Reaction score
I made up a saw attachment by silver soldering a six inch length of machine saw blade onto a brass 3/8" BSF thread. ....

seth49

Reaction score
I use a drennan 3m twist lock net handle for my weed knife, no problems with that at all, I also carry a folding pruning saw, and a pair of secateurs as well, luckily mick and I do the cutting back of excess vegetation on the fishery, so we are allowed to do it. I keep thinking a small pair of grass shears would come in handy as well, the one handed type.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
I don't think you will get a metal landing net pole 4m long,in fact imo 4m is too long anyway,as it isn't as controllable,I prefer strong extendable poles,more in tune with specimen fishing,I have two 3m Drennan twistlock poles for different rod bags,I also have a Darent Valley 3m,Korum do a 2.8m I believe,Nash do a good one too,the thing that I find is that often I don't need to extend at all for optimum netting,I believe 4m landing net poles are for Zorro like matchmen trying to net fish before they are ready,as you are a pleasure angler I would take time to get every fish in the net,as you are only competing with yourself....On the weed cutting side,the specimen type poles I mention are far stronger than the majority of floppy 4m poles,imv any pole that bends with a decent fish in the net isn't worth the time of day,that is for any style of fishing,including match fishing,i've seen anglers in matches with a two pound fish whilst using a landing net pole made of what looks like Geoff Boycott's stick of rhubarb....
Might go down the road of the 3m Drennan twist lock. On reflection the handle I use at the moment is pretty similar to what you described “Geoff Boycott’s stick of rhubarb “