What do you contemplate whilst fishing

mikench

Reaction score
I have my bins with me and used to go birdwatching specifically and often see just garden birds. Now I don't bother and combine the two. I'm sure the birds don't see us as a threat or even as a human sat in a chair or under a brolly.

On a safari one can sit quite safely in the open air Toyota even when elevated. Lions, elephants, rhino and other potentially dangerous animals are not worried by the vehicle and are familiar with them. However you must not stand up, outstretch your arms or alter the silhouette of the vehicle in any way because the animals then see the shape of a human and react accordingly.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
What always puzzles me is how, even when so young their fronts aren't red yet, but brown and speckled, Robins know to go up to the biggest, scariest mammal for furlongs around, tweet politely and sit, head cocked, to see if they'll get fed. What is the evolutionary origin of this? What responded by feeding them, before there were humans? What other animals respond nowadays? Do they try it on cattle, sheep, foxes, rabbits and cats till they find one that plays ball and doesn't try to eat them? If not, why not?

To return to the topic, I am usually so focussed on float or tip, and working out what to try next, that I might as well be in town in the rush-hour; I notice nothing, and am exhausted the next day (and often need an energy drink to survive the drive home, even if it's less than half an hour)...which is a bit of a waste of the great outdoors, so I'm going to try to learn how my bite alarm works and have the odd bit of "resting the swim" -and my eyes and brain - gawping at the wonders around me, while still having a chance of the fish of the day.
If,that is, I can tear myself away froom the float, and if I ever get the energy together to actually go fishing! (I think it's an age thing. Remembering how it's done, while sitting comfortably in a nice warm room, has become more fun than freezin' mi bits orf trying to actually do it).

mikench

Reaction score
I suspect birds like whales and other mammals have a genetic code passed down to the next generation . This teaches them to recognise food sources, predators and the whereabouts of water. It has been shown that blue whales do this but when a particular group/ pod/ family are hunted to near extinction, the gene pool is so depleted that this knowledge contained within the gene code is lost. This knowledge extends to finding food across the vast oceans, using currents and following the bloom of food sources.

I contemplate this type of stuff as I watch that float or tip or wait for the buzzer to chirrup.

bracket

Reaction score
Nowadays I tend to fish alone and concentrate on the job at hand. I do take notice of the surroundings and appreciate them, thanking the God's I can still do it. One fault I do have is, I talk to myself and constantly cajoling myself to "get it right". It can be embarrassing at time. So if you see an aged angler being dragged protesting from the bank by two men in white coats, you will know it's me. Pete

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mostly on what i'm doing as i'm usually busy, either casting out, winding in, baiting a hook or playing a fish, or maybe walking between likely looking spots.
No matter how much food i've crammed in before leaving the house, after several hours fishing my stomach automatically starts to send signals to my brain, telling it that it desperately needs filling again and my mind starts to wander from my fishing to food. Once that happens my fishing time is limited

Reaction score
Nowadays I tend to fish alone and concentrate on the job at hand. I do take notice of the surroundings and appreciate them, thanking the God's I can still do it. One fault I do have is, I talk to myself and constantly cajoling myself to "get it right". It can be embarrassing at time. So if you see an aged angler being dragged protesting from the bank by two men in white coats, you will know it's me. Pete

No,it'll be me as well,i'm always calling myself very rude words and knowing they're the right ones too....

Keith M

Reaction score
The last thing that I contemplated when fishing was: ‘does anybody on fishing magic ever read the posts that that guy called Scuba Chris regularly posts on here? I’ve no doubt that he knows what he’s talking about however he fishes on the other side of the world, for fish species that no one on FM ever fishes for, and writes about new tackle that has no bearing on any of the types of fishing we do in the uk??? so why does he still post on a UK based forum like fishing magic??? Just a thought.

I don’t mind him posting of coarse; he does seem to know about his type of fishing and the species that he catches but I do wonder Why he chooses to post on a forum like ours???

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The last thing that I contemplated when fishing was: ‘does anybody on fishing magic ever read the posts that that great guy called Scuba Chris regularly posts on here? I’ve no doubt that he knows what he’s talking about however he fishes on the other side of the world, for fish species that almost no one on FM ever fishes for, and writes about new tackle that has no bearing on any of the types of fishing we do in the uk??? so why does he still post??? Just a thought.

I don’t mind him posting of coarse; he does seem to know about his type of fishing and the species that he catches but I do wonder Why he chooses to post on a forum like ours???

Keith

He'll be wanting hits and likes and even subscribers on youtub.
The more of those he gets, the more money he'll get.

bracket

Reaction score
No,it'll be me as well,i'm always calling myself very rude words and knowing they're the right ones too....
Whitty. I remember, long a ago, fishing a Pairs Match with Frank Barlow. I asked after the match "How d'you go partner". "Thirty three fish and six b**t**d's" he said. So your not on your own whitty. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Even when fishing in less involved styles (stillwater tenching) I'm too busy watching a float and looking for signs of fish to think about much else. An occasional foray into "what could I change to catch more" territory and the odd look at the surroundings, usually at passing birds and military aircraft, is about the limit of what I'm thinking about.

When fishing the river you can add in repeated retrievals, casting and altering the line and length of my trot.

I get too involved in the actual fishing to contemplate my navel. That's the joy of it for me, being too absorbed to give a toss about anything else.

Reaction score
Not quite the same if your waiting hours for a bite though Chris,like barbel fishing on most rivers,carp,pike etc,even sometimes roach on lakes when you await a run of bites...also I can multi task,thus contemplate and fish at the same time...

theartist

Reaction score
I can multi task as well, I can pull into the car park whilst at the same time contemplating how many cars are there in relation to swims and spot Alan's one too, whilst swearing, all at the same time :p

Reaction score
Well guess how many is there today and no,i'm not there...

Reaction score
There are never no cars there,only when they lock the bloody gate and stop em ...

The Sogster

Reaction score
The fishing.

As I tell non-anglers when asked the same question most of which think angling is just a chuck it and chance sport, "if you're thinking of summat else then tha's not doing it reet."

mikench

Reaction score
He'll be wanting hits and likes and even subscribers on youtub.
The more of those he gets, the more money he'll get.
Agreed. I reply sometimes just to see if he reads the posts or just churns out , indifferently , his reviews of all things, Okuma, Mustad and lure makers. Funnily enough I contemplated him and his posts only yesterday in response to my own self criticism that I always fish in the same places. If you look so does he. He must have thousand of inlets, beaches and coves to choose from but it's either the lagoon, the concrete and broken pier or the same beach near the reef.

He never responds by the way but I generally like his posts and his manner.Aloha FM ers