What do you think of your local fishery?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think of your local fishery?

Do you have your favourite fishery, a venue where you feel at home and come back to every weekend?
You most likely do, but if you are going on holiday or want a change of scenery then a website like Where to Fish could be there to help.

Local knowledge is important and could affect where you choose to go. Therefore it would be great if you would like to share your views on your favourite fishery so others can benefit from your local knowledge and experience.

The review option should now be available for all fisheries on Where to Fish.

You can add a review by:
1: clicking HERE
2: search for your fishery,
3: choose “add review” from the option list
4: log in with your flyfishing.co.uk login details
5: write your comments and submit.

You review goes through an approval system before being posted so please allow up to 24 hours for it to be displayed.

riverman

Reaction score
just seen this thread.my local fishery is quite small about a 1/4 acre but has some lovely carp in.earlier this year i had a 17lb 10 oz mirror (my biggest fish this year) taken on mussel on the waggler with hemp over the top.the carp go well into the 20's with a 24lb 6oz common the biggest fish caught in the last couple of years or so.the problem is the place is over fished especially at weekends.

mikench

Reaction score
One of my clubs has announced an increase in fees of £15 for 2022 and a further £15 in 2023 which I am very happy with. The club are also set on some repair / replacement of pegs on three waters i like plus ground maintenance Tree pruning and lily cut back/ clearance. They are also planning to restock two of them with tench and crucians. Long overdue but welcome non the less . The club is at capacity with over 250 on the waiting list. The club have listened to members but need to increase fees to off set losses of match fees on the match lake at HQ due to covid. I'm told that a 3lb tench will cost £36 so a few thousand at least per water. Ideally they want 4lb plus fish but they are in very short supply if not impossible to source. Maybe that's a valid excuse in waiting.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One of my clubs has announced an increase in fees of £15 for 2022 and a further £15 in 2023 which I am very happy with. The club are also set on some repair / replacement of pegs on three waters i like plus ground maintenance Tree pruning and lily cut back/ clearance. They are also planning to restock two of them with tench and crucians. Long overdue but welcome non the less . The club is at capacity with over 250 on the waiting list. The club have listened to members but need to increase fees to off set losses of match fees on the match lake at HQ due to covid. I'm told that a 3lb tench will cost £36 so a few thousand at least per water. Ideally they want 4lb plus fish but they are in very short supply if not impossible to source. Maybe that's a valid excuse in waiting.
Bay Malton ,?
I know a few are not renewing for Lymm this year, The club seems to be going carp orientated, it has always said it isn't but looking at what they have done with some of the waters over the past couple of years says different.
Revamped a few waters on a complex, made it a booking on system for the best two waters, So anglers who didn't book on are now going on the other waters on there, the ones they previously ignored. the rent on another is sky high yet fished by the same 12 anglers weekly, again well looked after and these anglers basically have their own syndicate water for the price of a club card.
The ordinary angler is being priced out by subsidising the carp anglers who take partners ,overnight and sometimes kids.
All for the same price as a bloke who pleasure fishes on his own during the day.
There is better value club wise around the Oxford area than clubs in the north west, apart from Salford Friendly Anglers and that is free to join, no membership fees , they rely on donations.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Correct. I like their waters or at least those I'm happy to drive to. The fees are more than covered by the limitless visits to one day ticket water and the 10 visits to each of two others one of which I have never got round to. I suspect that a few members will drop off as they probably joined during the first lockdown and won't bother renewing.

rayner

Reaction score
The fishery where I have been fishing since the lockdown is Kiveton Waters, a British Waterways fishery. There are three fisheries locally that I have been alternating between for the last five or so years. I soon get the urge to move on.
At present, KW is my favoured fishery because the pegs are flat, the other favoured fisheries have become too tricky for me the main reason is the pegs are not friendly enough for me. I doubt I shall go back to them. It seems I need to look elsewhere for another venue if I feel the need to change.
I just wish there were a few more bream and roach in KW then I would not need to move.

chrissh

Reaction score
The fishery where I have been fishing since the lockdown is Kiveton Waters, a British Waterways fishery. There are three fisheries locally that I have been alternating between for the last five or so years. I soon get the urge to move on.
At present, KW is my favoured fishery because the pegs are flat, the other favoured fisheries have become too tricky for me the main reason is the pegs are not friendly enough for me. I doubt I shall go back to them. It seems I need to look elsewhere for another venue if I feel the need to change.
I just wish there were a few more bream and roach in KW then I would not need to move.
Gary give Phyllis lakes a try on straight mile

Steve the owner loads all your gear on a trolley from your car and takes it to the peg and the same when your ready to pack up all the pegs are flat with wood chippings so there no mud, there’s Tench, Roach, bream, perch, carp in the pond

Or try Barlow there’s Bream, Tench, Roach, Rudd, Crucians, Perch, Chub, toilets, bait shop and café on site it flat with good parking

Both are £6 a day for one rod £8 for two rods

mikench

Reaction score
How are they getting losses on the match lake, ? Is that due to reduced outside bookings.?
I know they pay a fair whack for that part of the complex.
There were no matches at all in 2020 and hardly any this year.

rayner

Reaction score
Gary give Phyllis lakes a try on straight mile

Steve the owner loads all your gear on a trolley from your car and takes it to the peg and the same when your ready to pack up all the pegs are flat with wood chippings so there no mud, there’s Tench, Roach, bream, perch, carp in the pond

Or try Barlow there’s Bream, Tench, Roach, Rudd, Crucians, Perch, Chub, toilets, bait shop and café on site it flat with good parking

Both are £6 a day for one rod £8 for two rods
I was going to have a look at Philis lake but the main stocking is carp with that horrible sturgeon, Have you fished there Chris? what is silver fishing like? It may be worth my time. Two rods are out for me, especially on such a tiny pond. Looking at the pond I'm must only be 15 pegs if everyone has two rods that would be definite overkill.
Barlow would be out because my wife hates driving alone apart from short trips.

flightliner

Reaction score
I was going to have a look at Philis lake but the main stocking is carp with that horrible sturgeon, Have you fished there Chris? what is silver fishing like? It may be worth my time. Two rods are out for me, especially on such a tiny pond. Looking at the pond I'm must only be 15 pegs if everyone has two rods that would be definite overkill.
Barlow would be out because my wife hates driving alone apart from short trips.
Garry, have you tried the lakes at the Norwood fishery?
Just outside Killamarsh up the hill towards Pebley.
I had a day there early on in spring when getting over my health problems.
Very easy access and pretty quite midweek, no mud nice pegs and with hemp n tare all the roach you want with some real goers.
Tbh Im thinking of another visit as my angling partner keeps on at me to go again.
Yes there are carp in the place but bait choice can minimise their attentions if you so wish. I'd say the place is actually about a mile less than the KW fishery so even better from your wifes point of veiw.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, Mick, I know of Norwood, it is the first fishery I fished after my issues. Trevor Easton dragged me out of the house to get me fishing again.
Did you know Trev, he was a top bloke. I fished the bigger pond by the side of the island only about 4 meters from the outer bank.
I did go back sometime after with Trev. What spoilt our day was the awful stench from the farm, something to do with processing old food in some way.
As this now been stopped or does the stench still surround the area.
How is the parking now is it the same, my walking is terrible since being stuck at home.
Sorry for the late reply Mick.