What do you use for sealing whippings?

George387

Reaction score
Thanks George I'll see if I can find some. Are you going to the Barbel Soc do at Wetherby?

Rydenor in Thirsk is where I buy mine from they do small 2litre tubs for £12.

No Sean I doubt that I will be at wetherby this year, Im not allowed to drive currently due to recovering from kidney failure 8 weeks ago, so am limited to what I can do I just take each day as it comes some are good some bad.Getting there though :)

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the kidney problem George, I hope you get whatever you need as soon as possible. I'm currently drinking a gallon of water a day to keep a couple going myself:). What a shame I can't do the job with ale. Into hospital early next month. Oh goody!

George387

Reaction score
Get well soon Nobby and George! If you fancy a days fishing George just let me know - grayling fishing starts soon!

Nobby I wasnt as bad as some at least I didnt need dialisis I was diagnosed with Nephrotic syndrome which is My kidneys were leaking & causing fluid retention so trying to get in excess of 50lbs of fluid out my body at the moment, getting there :)

Sean dont I know it :) My kit has been cleaned, cleaned again then just for good luck cleaned again :) Im gagging to get out and touch wood maybe next weekend weather permitting & if feeling ok will get a day on the Ure or even up to the Tees, have had endless offers to carry my bag and rod.

Thats kind of you and appreciated thanks. :)

john step

Reaction score
I am not a "neat puristy" type of rod repairer I just want to sometimes replace broken rod rings ..being a very clumsy accident prone sort of bloke.
Donkey years ago you could buy some stuff in a tube that seemed to smooth itself around a whipping which was possibly called something like DURALIT or DURAGLIT. I presume it was some sort of cellulose. The tackle shops don't know what I am talking about. Anyone know if it still available as my last repair was finished with black nail varnish.

ryefisher

Reaction score
I think the stuff you are referring to was called Durafix. This was a cellulose type glue. Uhu glue, readily available from stationers, is similar.
If I remember correctly Richard Walker recommended Durafix for sealing silk whippings to preserve their colour, before varnishing with copal varnish. Unfortunately I can't check this as I lent my copy of Rod Building for Amateurs to someone, and never got it back....

Alan

ivel

Reaction score
hi
being anew member trying to find my way round found these dated postings,
interested in different methods for sealing whippings,i mainly use pva sealer from H&H
if to heavily coated does not dry clear,on darker threads can look milky when coated
two pack low and high build finishes great for modern rods but on cane and early glass rods are finished much thinner, ifound pro rod easy to use although water based it isa
polymer and needs to be built up in more tan one coat.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having built and renovated more rods than I care to remember, the problem of what to put on the whippings is the biggest headache. In the past I have used ordinary varnish (back in the 60's/70's) various 2-part epoxies, a single pot, water-based stuff that Steve Parton used to sell, but now I only use Flex-Coat which is a 2-part epoxy and, as the name suggests, is flexible.

My favourite whipping colour is Gudebrod claret, undoped, so that it goes a deeper shade with the coating. if you try to get a perfect, teardrop, professional finish in one coat you will invariably fail. I put a first coat on, most of which soaks into the whippings. When this is hardened take a scalpel and nick off all the little spiky bits that may have appeared where fibres have protruded or any little air bubbles that appeared and didn't vanish of their own accord. Then apply a second, more liberal coat, and observe the usual tedious turning of the rod until the coating no longer slumps and Bob's your uncle.

An upturned shoe box with v-shaped notches cut into either end is usually good enough to hold the rod during the turning process.