What is your record amount of fish in a session per species.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
For me it was 8 tench, about 20 barble, 9 chub. Bream about 4 maybe more, roach, hard to say but possibly in the 20-30's, Perch maybe about 10.

riverman

Reaction score
1 once rattled 138 roach out on the pole with maggots some years back.

mikench

Reaction score
I have had around 16 carp from 4 to 9lb a few times , 6 or so mid doubles on a few trips and over 20 once but they were all around 2 to 3 lb. I don’t use a keep net but keep a clicker. I will never set records but I once had 3 roach around 1 lb12oz in rapid succession. One or two keeps me happy. I once had 9 different species one after the other ranging from gudgeon to chub.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I did a work party about three years ago and slipped away at the end. I went to a very picturesque part of the river Eden with some lures and a very light lure rod that I bought from Ali Express when tackle was in short supply at the start of lockdown.

I only had a few hours until dark and it’s a water you have to leave without the aid of a torch. Funny old rule but not my train set. Anyhow I managed forty perch and four pike on that little rod. The reel was one I accidentally stumbled on in my loft and had only used a few times due to the line becoming curled due to its small diameter, not a problem with braid though.

Sometimes the fish are packed quite tightly into one section of a river or lake. They must have been on that afternoon. I’ve fished the same few swims several times since, and although I’ve caught, I’ve had nowhere near as many fish from the same swims. You have to temper catches like that with days where you struggle. On my previous two perching trips I have really struggled and in two trips fishing hard, I had one bite and one lost fish that probably wasn’t a perch anyway. I generally like to try something different from the herd, that could be waters without a known pedigree for what I’m after or different baits or methods, sometimes it doesn’t work and you suffer the dreaded blank, but on other occasions it pays off handsomely and you really reap the rewards.

IMG_2517.jpeg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mostly in matches:
Rudd: 1320
Roach: 550
Bleak: 750
Dace: 400
Eels: 45
Tench: 112
Carp: 165 in 2 hours
Chub: 80
Crucians: 102
Seatrout: 29
Bream: 300
Perch: 70
Pike: 14

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Depends how long and what is a session. In numbers ? 485 minnows in 90 minutes (National - I got bored so spent the last 90 minutes Minnow bashing and wish I'd done it for the 5 hours). Bleak ? A few times 1,000 - usually Thames in flood though. Roach ? Likely 200+ Etc Etc

Satisfying ? No not really. The most satisfying are those days when you catch, or catch 2, 3 4 fish and know you've done your absolute best to get everything right.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Depends how long and what is a session. In numbers ? 485 minnows in 90 minutes (National - I got bored so spent the last 90 minutes Minnow bashing and wish I'd done it for the 5 hours). Bleak ? A few times 1,000 - usually Thames in flood though. Roach ? Likely 200+ Etc Etc

Satisfying ? No not really. The most satisfying are those days when you catch, or catch 2, 3 4 fish and know you've done your absolute best to get everything right.
True, I have often been very satisfied with one good fish, numbers are not everything but still interesting to see the numbers though, quite an achievement.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
True, I have often been very satisfied with one good fish, numbers are not everything but still interesting to see the numbers though, quite an achievement.
Not always a great achievement. You can be sat in front of a sizeable shoal and the guy next to you on nothing. I don’t think this happens so much on commercials. But on natural waters and rivers the fish can be packed in like sardines, while other seemingly similar looking swims can be almost devoid of fish.

Some years ago a pal and myself joined a club that had a stretch of the Eden in Kent. It was new to both of us and we fancied it for some chub, which were reputed to be the dominant species. It looked sock on, but we struggled to catch anything. After a couple of fruitless trips I had the bright idea of floating some crust down the river and following it. This was just before the start of the season. We cut up a couple of loaves, dropped it over a bridge and then followed it downstream. We noticed the fish were grouped up in fairly tight areas. As it was early summer the fish were quite active and we repeated the same thing the following week. With try he same results almost every taken sample of bread was taken in the same locations. We did pretty well after that and for the most part the fish tended to occupy the same locations both summer and winter.

On a similar tack, three of us fished a lake called Scarlett’s Lake near Hammer Wood. I set up to the left, Steve fished in the middle and Richard to the far right. We left an unoccupied swim between each of us. I had a decent bream first cast then nothing. Steve in the middle had nothing at all, while Richard was caning the roach and decent fish too. I gave it a couple of hours but not another bite, Steve was still fishless but Richard was still catching well. I upped stumps and moved to the other side of both of them leaving a swim vacant between us. I started catching immediately and had a great day. We told Steve to move between us but he refused and finished the day with a blank. The funny thing is; if each of us had gone individually; Richard would have thought it was a brilliant place, as would have I and poor old fishless Steve would have thought that it was rock hard.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Rivers are like that, especially with chub, similar story for me, took me a while to find their lays but pretty predictable once you do, but never more than one or two per swim, another river, great in the winter, that's where I had my 9 chub in one short session but they move away in the summer and never get a chub. But it wouldnt be fishing without this story albeit sea fishing in a boat, one angler often doesn't catch as much as the rest, you swap sides, swap rods, swap bait swap everything bar your underwear and he still catches less than the rest. Actually true, have done this a few times, you just hope your not the one when you set out but, it does happen on a boat, so never logical.
It can all be down to luck but, lets just say if not an achievement I will call it a biological miracle the amount of fish that are sometimes caught. I find that side of it more interesting, just what can be caught when it all goes well and the fact these numbers can be there.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Seems like a trumpet blowing thread, as Richard says there are many different factors, not least the sizes of the numbers of fish caught, but I will put a few catches in:-

52 chub River Thames, the fish were 2-4lbs. I've had bigger catches, but fish were smaller.
Barbel, I had 88 on the Severn, 55 on the float in 5 hours in recent years on the small river. 13 on the H.Avon once with 3 doubles I think it was.
108 tench 2-4lbs.
Bream 140lbs plus three times, fish to 6lbs.
96 Crucians twice 12ozs to 2lbs.
120lbs of roach to 1lb 4ozs from a lake in the UK.
100lb of Rudd to 3lbs 1ozs in the UK.
14lbs of gudgeon. Gt.Ouse....
Carp 76, 3-10lbs.
Pike, also 14.
Perch I haven't a memory, but certainly over a hundred in a match...but without being over 6ozs...
Species like bleak, minnows, sticklebacks ruffe and even dace, these wouldn't stay in the memory, but I've had good catches of dace so a decent number....

P.s. just remembered I had 100 carp at Alders farm in 3 hours for 300lbs, bored tireless....

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Some big numbers on here, for sure. Not, as has been said, it's the most important measure of success or satisfaction, but often shows you've not only sat on a shoal, you've also fished efficiently and not messed anything up - feeding, tangling, spooking them off etc, which is a skill sometimes overlooked by those who prize only big fish.

I was only ever an occasional match angler, max a dozen a year, so not really motivated to catch hundreds of small fish. After a few dozen bleak, little dace, rudd, gudgeon etc, I'd be more likely to change tactics, wrap up or move than go for the jackpot. I do enjoy it, though, when the fish get to shall I swing it or net it size - and I'm happy to swing 6oz fish. I don't fish all day, either, normally 3-5 hours at the right time, so that's a factor.

Some numbers that have stuck in my mind - I tend to lose count with roach or any species you catch really quickly - would be: 80 bream for 206lb in a small match in NI; 26 chub averaging 4lb from the Derwent in a morning (I drove 80 miles to the river but ran out of bait by lunchtime); an arm-aching 25 barbel averaging 8lb from a snaggy swim one afternoon on the float not so long ago; 80-odd tench of the 1-3lb size from a gravel pit in a long summer evening.

If I can find waters where you can float fish for mixed catches of say 15 - 30 lbs in a morning/evening/afternoon, that's more than enough to keep me happy. The huge numbers of fish caught from some carp commercials these days depress rather than attract me. The lone chub you winkle out at 4.15pm on a winter day can be as satisfying as anything, as can a few fish from a little stream.

Philip

Reaction score
Best numerical was 465 Rudd in an afternoon ...that was back when I was a kid and the day was measured by how many you ended up with :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My thread was more curiosity than anything else, I had just read Ray's post hdygo about 70+ tench and thought that was amazing, something I have never come close to. It came to me that this question has never been asked or at least I have not seen one so thought I would ask. Just curious as to numbers of fish that are possible and I wanted to be more specific with species. I didn't think it was a blowing a trumpet thread Alan, just interesting to find out something "new" and it has some biological value I think.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
No,no, my post is slightly misleading, I feel that it is how it is when I post on it, similarly on hdygo thread, that is why often when i do shite i post it, my 86 year old mate often says to me, people just wouldn't believe what I was having through years, he said he probably wouldn't apart from the fact he had seen them himself, it used to infuriate him when during the dead time 12 - 2pm (sometimes 3pm) I used to pick up my catty put a decent bed of hemp and maggot down, grab my lunchbox and flask and sit behind him chatting for the duration, go back and within no time would be bagging, lol.

Last edited: