What types of feeders do I use

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The type of feeder most associated with carp is the method feeder - have a look on YouTube at the instructional video on the subject from Carl & Alex:

seth49

Reaction score
Have a look at the Preston ICS feeders, you can easily swap between different types of feeders or a lead without having to cut the line or retie anything,
I don’t use any others now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Seth I use these and the Guru X-Safe,
A few of the waters i fish only allow the X-Safe if fishing an elasticated set up.
The PI system is good I have used the feeders to put some bait in then swapped to inline lead.

rayner

Reaction score
I am new to carp fishing and what some advice on what feeders to use
[/QUOTE

If I was to give advice to anyone new to feeder fishing I would suggest a hybrid feeder, there are plenty of makes to choose from.
Reason being it doesn't matter how bad the cast the hybrid nearly always lands correctly, keeping their load of bait intact on the bottom.
Method feeders don't work too good on waters deeper than around six feet, they can empty their load before reaching the bottom. Not what we need.

rayner

Reaction score
I've bought banjo feeders, I've yet to use them but my thinking is they'll be better for me.
I used to like method feeders but only in shallow water, deep water would always be a struggle I had the idea my feeder was empty by the time I hit bottom. Hybrids in various makes I've had success with.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I am new to carp fishing and what some advice on what feeders to use
Depends on what you are doing and depth......
Shallow water up to 4 or 5 feet deep I’d go for an in-line method feeder in the summer........ 20 grams if fairly close range 30 40grams if launching it a fair way. Reasons why you can load it up with a fair amount of bait and double skin them etc.
Deeper water guru inline hybrid ...... not too far out and 6 to 8 feet deep 24grams and larger if deeper and or further out.....reasons why the pellets will stay on longer as it drops through deep water and as it hits the water after a big chuck.
If I’m doing short chucks to islands etc I do like the little 18 gram guru hybrids they land with a nice plop.
I always use pellets with my feeders never ground bait.....
Don’t buy loads of different sizes and types work out what you need and learn how to use them....
KISS (keep it simple stupid)
It’s just the way I do things but it does work ?
I hope this helps....

Paste paul

Reaction score
Forgot to mention method feeder types........
I like the drennan ones because of the way the bars are spaced apart and the pear shape for casting
?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I
Depends on what you are doing and depth......
Shallow water up to 4 or 5 feet deep I’d go for an in-line method feeder in the summer........ 20 grams if fairly close range 30 40grams if launching it a fair way. Reasons why you can load it up with a fair amount of bait and double skin them etc.
Deeper water guru inline hybrid ...... not too far out and 6 to 8 feet deep 24grams and larger if deeper and or further out.....reasons why the pellets will stay on longer as it drops through deep water and as it hits the water after a big chuck.
If I’m doing short chucks to islands etc I do like the little 18 gram guru hybrids they land with a nice plop.
I always use pellets with my feeders never ground bait.....
Don’t buy loads of different sizes and types work out what you need and learn how to use them....
KISS (keep it simple stupid)
It’s just the way I do things but it does work ?
I hope this helps....
I use either Guru or Preston ICS feeders and leads.
A 20g feeder or inline lead will cast 40+ yards with a 12' feeder rod and 2oz tip.I change the short stems for the long ones to get the distance and extra stability in flight.
Have also put softened 2mm pellets around the inline lead ,tucked the hooklength in with them and cast out, Its like a mini feeder but less bait.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I

I use either Guru or Preston ICS feeders and leads.
A 20g feeder or inline lead will cast 40+ yards with a 12' feeder rod and 2oz tip.I change the short stems for the long ones to get the distance and extra stability in flight.
Have also put softened 2mm pellets around the inline lead ,tucked the hooklength in with them and cast out, Its like a mini feeder but less bait.
I usually don’t need more than a 20gram feeder infact I carry some 10gram method feeders for casting to islands.......
If I’m launching further distance I will use heavier feeders especially in deeper water......
one thing to think about is wind on long casts and your casts needs to be nice and comfortable without straining to make the distance that’s when accurate casting suffers........
If there’s a steep shelf to islands a heavier feeder is sometimes needed to hold the bottom.....
There are so many scenarios and two days never seem to be the same.
?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I usually don’t need more than a 20gram feeder infact I carry some 10gram method feeders for casting to islands.......
If I’m launching further distance I will use heavier feeders especially in deeper water......
one thing to think about is wind on long casts and your casts needs to be nice and comfortable without straining to make the distance that’s when accurate casting suffers........
If there’s a steep shelf to islands a heavier feeder is sometimes needed to hold the bottom.....
There are so many scenarios and two days never seem to be the same.
?
I use 10g or 15g when using a method feeder on the pole against an island.
The water I am fishing at the moment has an island around 40 or so yards away, hence heavier feeder and long stem on feeder,depth against island around 3' I also use same set up if casting into deep water on there at around 20 yards away.
I think the rod and size of tip being used plays a part as well.
For long casts such as 40 or 50 yards I will use my 12'-13' Speedcast, ordinary middle of water work on commercial, 10' Daiwa harrier and short chucks to islands on commercials a modified Silstar Traverse X wand,

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
My view slightly differs.

I generally like to use a heavier feeder when fishing method style in Summer, as this enhances the bolt rig effect, so my general go to is 28/30g. Added to this, is that often I’ll be casting to shallow water, far bank or island which is often on a slope. I find a heavier feeder is harder to dislodge and holds better on a slope. Conversely I don’t see any advantage to using a light feeder in these circumstances when fish are feeding freely.

Except: if I’m fishing on silt, I’ll use as light a feeder as possible but also as big a feeder as suitable as the increased footprint of the feeder will sit better on top of the silt without sinking.

In my mind these advantages outweigh the disadvantages, always open to new thinking however!