What weight for light sea fishing.

Tree123

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fairly light rod for using in the sea will be casting from the pier would like to use it for a pier bit of float fishing too

Would a bass rod be too powerful for this or would a lighter carp rod do the job. I don't expect it to be used in any large swells.

theartist

Reaction score
You don't need a heavy rod on flat seas, I use my five piece coarse rod, same one I use for chub and barbel but then again I'm mad, You only need the strength of the rod to lift fish out if fishing from a pier so bear that in mind, or for casting weights from the beach. If you can land fish then you can go as light as you dare when float fishing. A spare carp rod would be fine or an old avon, something you don't mind getting a bit salty.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use a carp rod for pier and beach, a properly loaded fixed spool will cast a fair way with a weight of about 1-2 oz. Keep the rig simple, a single hook paternoster or two hooks sometimes and it fishes satisfactorily in my mind. It can change to a float as well. I think if a carp rod can handle 20lb+ carp then can handle much of what I might catch in the sea however, hauling a big fish up a jetty or pier wall can be difficult as theartist said, possibly better to hand line it but have gloves handy otherwise the line will cut in too much, still not an easy thing to do though. But, what am I likely to catch , nothing much over 5lb. Flatfish, mackerel and the odd bass but, it would be rare to get one over 10lb but it would give you a bit too much to do on a carp rod from a pier but most are sort of 2lb -6lb.
For a strong current and heavy seas you need heavier though, stiffer rod and more weight, a lot depends on where your fishing. I bought one of those cheapish combos for a beginner friend of mine last year, £35, the rod was not bad and the reel came fully loaded, I fished with it myself and I thought it was pretty good for general beach and pier work, casts a 4oz weight pretty good.
It mostly comes down to what weight you need to use to hold the bottom, once you know that -that should guide you as to what rod would be best.
It is difficult to advise without knowing what the currents are like and the general size of fish you expect to catch but I hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

Tree123

Reaction score
Yeah I've been out of the sea fishing scene for a long time. Infact my fishing has been very limited gernally as I'm been doing a lot of endurance running..but now I'm stopping that and it will free up a lot more time for me. I'll be buying a new carp rod or two for piking so as long as I go with 3.25tc or higher they should handle a 3oz lead which I'm sure should handle a heavy float or fishing down the edge

Last edited: