What you love about coarse fishing?

mick b

Reaction score
In my life Ive done it all.....well almost.

From the salt Ive caught Marlin (some singlehanded from my own boat) and Sharks of several species, Tunas of all sizes, jigged huge Grouper (to record weights) superb Bass and delicious Bream, snagged Octopus and jigged for Squid and Cuttlefish.

In the fresh Ive caught Black Bass, Salmon (by the dozen a day) White/Sea Trout on fly and lure, Brownies from England finest rivers, big Pike and superb Roach, and enough splendid Chub to please anyman.

But nothing, but nothing, beats being alone on a quite river trotting for Roach........dunno why, but for me (now) it beats all other forms of fishing........hands down!!

Perhaps the attraction of coarse fishing its its sheer variety of fish and methods?

paul1234

Reaction score
Earlie morning on a gravel pit,fag and a cuppa coffee,mist comin off the water, seein a few fish crash and rolling,job done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I have to say my favourite thing is how one bait (maggots of course) can catch literally any of the god-knows-how-many coarse fish species. Its amazing how you can use one bait and method on a water for a full day and never know what you could catch next... carp, roach, barbel, chub, perch, they can all be caught on maggots!

Also I think there's something truly magical about all the different methods, rigs, baits etc that you can use to target coarse fish. I tend to get lost in a notebook jotting down methods (etc etc) to use in different swims after different species.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Not that fly-fishermen are stand-offish, I just don't meet people as often stalking the river with a fly as I do stalking a lake with a lure.

Call me antisocial, but that's why I love fly fishing on small rivers and streams... you hardly ever bump into another human being. I'm hoping that once I get into float fishing I can find similar solitude on some of the less well-trodden (perhaps less productive, but who cares?) beats.

Keith M

Reaction score
Sitting next to a peaceful lilly strewn estate lake at first light on a warm summers morn with Tench bubbles erupting around your float; or on a river at first light trotting for Roach with your float drifting downstream with the surface mist coming off the water and the sounds of wood pidgeons and other wild life all around you; or fishing a small stream in the late evenings after Barbel with your finger across your line feeling for action down by your baited hook, knowing that at any minute the rod could be almost pulled from your hand when a Barbel surges off. These are just a few of the magic moments that you get when your a coarse angler.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Keith I might just take up the sport seriously after that. Trouble is we have several months of cold wet and miserable weather, not to mention blanks, before those idyllic images are likely to come to pass.

rayner

Reaction score
Sorry I can't wax lyrical like above, all I want is fish and as many I can get. Do I love fishing, not now so much. Used to but not now.

Badgerale

Reaction score
Sorry lightdragoon,
I'm not going to answer your question in the way you probably originally intended. :p
- When fly-fishing I could generally just take 1 rod and reel, a folding landing net, a vest with bits in the pockets, a small shoulder bag with butties and a bottle of water, 3-4 boxes of flies, a wallet with tapered leaders, 2 spools of tippet line, a pair of forceps and a small towel.
- Float-fishing - I usually take at least 2 rods, 2 reels + 2 spare spools, telescopic landing net, set of bank sticks plus a pod depending on state of pegs, chair, float box, tackle box, collection of hooks to nylon, hooks, 3 spools of hook-length, disgorgers, swivels, links, shot, hair-rigs + assorted paraphernalia, pellet bands + assorted etc, groundbaits, at least 3 types of hookbaits, forceps, unhooking mat, weigh sling, scales, and a large towel (because of bream) + whatever else I've forgotten :confused: - Usually food and drink! :eek:

There is so much more to buy in float fishing, you can spend hours in the tackle shop just trying to remember what you went in for! :confused:;):eek:mg:
:thumbs:

I think that's actually an attraction to coarse fishing... with a hobby you want something to think about while you're not on the bank.

So many different methods, different species to target, different gear, different bait... so many minute changes you can make to your setup.

I only get to actually go fishing once a fortnight but it keeps the brain ticking over for a lot longer than that.

john step

Reaction score
Keith I might just take up the sport seriously after that. Trouble is we have several months of cold wet and miserable weather, not to mention blanks, before those idyllic images are likely to come to pass.
I have bought a club book recently where the colder it gets the more the roach congregate in the village. Plenty of bites. It will have to be particularly cold to put me off. (That or another lockdown of course)

Reaction score
The variation of methods,species,I love float fishing,preferably with maggot and caster,to sort out feeding,shotting etc and feel your actually sorting it gives me a real buzz,barbel are simply amazing,big,small whatever,but I enjoy catching them all,apart from,sticklebacks,minnows and bleak,catching pongo gudgeon one a bung is something I miss,catching double figures of gudgeon in a match was a really great thing to achieve...

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Sorry I can't wax lyrical like above, all I want is fish and as many I can get. Do I love fishing, not now so much. Used to but not now.

Have you tried visiting a fish market? Sounds like your sort of thing - lots of fish and someone else to do the catching. lol

Philip

Reaction score
Like allot of others its the variety and diversity for me. If I was stuck to one method or fish I would not have kept fishing for as long as I have.

The ironic thing is, I imagine the thing that puts allot of non anglers off the sport is because they do not understand how varied it can be & instead consider it boring. They have the mental image of someone holding a rod like a gnome and contemplating their navel.

I cant remember the last time I was bored when I went fishing and especially when you fish very short sessions like I do the idea of it being relaxing couldn’t be further from reality.

mikench

Reaction score
They have the mental image of someone holding a rod like a gnome and contemplating their navel.

You clearly don't fish a pole then Philip. ;) You are clearly besotted by fishing and why not.

Philip

Reaction score
I own a few whips ( the fishing sort gentlemen..) and sure i have a pole somewhere but i do like a reel to be involved in the equation.

Thing is all the pole fishers would have you belive they are constantly working the swim with heron like poise but i'm not fooled...they are just waiting for something to drag the pole out of their hand then hang on while it bungee jumps itself into the net.

..strewth...and i get jip for using a bolt rig.
??

Molehill

Reaction score
Coarse fishing for the range of species and techniques, been an angler for over 60 years and a fly fisherman all that time as well as coarse, I still do both. Ultimately, the more species and methods to learn and use the longer my interest holds, much of fly fishing now is little more than coarse fishing with artificial lures, migratory species are in serious decline (to the extents I don't bother fishing for them).
I do love river fishing and above all I like a float to float to watch, and I like wandering about.

steve2

Reaction score
Peace and quite and being able to be away from this mad world if only for a few hours. I still get that sometimes from my walks but since lock down the countryside seems much busier. Private fishing places are the one place where you can still get away.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I own a few whips ( the fishing sort gentlemen..) and sure i have a pole somewhere but i do like a reel to be involved in the equation.

Thing is all the pole fishers would have you belive they are constantly working the swim with heron like poise but i'm not fooled...they are just waiting for something to drag the pole out of their hand then hang on while it bungee jumps itself into the net.

..strewth...and i get jip for using a bolt rig.
??
That is like someone saying all people who use bolt rigs also use a 13' 2.75lb tc rod 12lb line with a bolt rig to catch 8lb carp.
There is more to pole fishing than waiting for it to be dragged out of hands .