Where do they go in flood?

tommos16

Reaction score
I saw the Ribble has burst it's banks today, I tried my spot on The Douglas but there were no back eddys to be found, very unfishable regardless if they're there or not haha

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
This is my local river this morning. The road bridge over the river is actually behind the photographer. If I get out in the next few days, it might have to be a stillwater.

123254520_10158559717516070_8753947323333935021_o.jpg

theartist

Reaction score
It's interesting as well to note a lot of people catch on a rising river when it's tidal, but not for flood water. Which gives credit to the theory its a "dirty" river in flood. I don't know if anyone fishes a tidal river, but out of curiosity - does the water rush in and out like a short flood/fine? Or is it a steady flow with just a bigger head of water?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Most tidal rivers if they have unrestricted access to the sea bomb in, it is usually a heavy flow too, hard to explain but there's a lot of water and it's relentless and often carrying a lot of muck and debris prior to when the clean water arrives, having said that the ebb is often faster but there isn't the weight of water. The main difference with floods is the fish are used to the tides, they know where to go as it's coming in twice a day (four times if near Isle of Wight) and they know when as the water backs up first. Tidal fish are tough cookies though as they are used to it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it is the small fry that can get decimated in floods, they get washed right out to sea, I suppose they do not have the strength or power to resist. Perhaps, if so; this is one of the reasons a river can decline dramatically, a few bad flood years can result in a vastly reduced population of mature fish.

spenbeck

Reaction score
I've just seen on the news that the river Wharfe is over it's banks and closed Weatherby Golf Course. I remember many, many years ago when the same happened, after the water level went back down the golfers discovered a very large pike (30lb) marooned in one of the flooded bunkers!

Reaction score
What I cannot understand is the opinions stating barbel struggling to survive prolonged periods of high water,the reasons I say this is Tigger/Ian fishes a spate river,that often reaches levels of 6/7m over normal level and after last years prolonged flooding in the N.West Ian still has had some nice catches of barbel,just a week or so ago he clocked one up on hdygo,so fish are still present,without doubt some losses occur,old,sickly fish will perish,but in the main,fish find somewhere to make do....