Whipping Rods in Hawaii Are Steelhead/SST Rods!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Also Olympus Srl's Accord 40S, Kratos 4K, & Chroma 40 Spinning Reels!

In Hawaii we have 2 main categories for fishing rods. Dunking & Whipping. Dunking is casting to sliding live to dead baits, otherwise known as surf casting. Whipping is casting lures to jigs. But mainly grubs on lead weighted leader lines. For whipping the types of rods popularly used are spinning rods from 5'6" to 11'. They're popularly sold as Steelhead or SST type of rods. The preferred whipping rods are light weight sensitive high modulus blanks with smaller multiple braid guides.

Some anglers are attracted to PE ratings while others are into name brands. For myself i no longer "whip" using grubs. I'm more into shore jigging slow-pitch asymmetrical jigs from the shorelines. I call it jigging but to some locals it's still whipping as it's a broader term. For what i do i use popular PNW Steelhead Rods. My preferred center is a 9'9" medium rod. I've come to rely heavily on Guide Select Pro rods & recently SST Rods as well. I have them in 2pc & in travel rods from 9' to 10'6".

In this segment i'm showing 3 new Olympus Srl spinner releases for 2023. The Accord 40S, Kratos 4K & Chroma 40. All 4000 sized spinning reels. These are Italian reels that i've been using so far. I find the Accord casts freely & the best, the Kratos is insanely powerful & the Chroma is a good all around unit.

For these type of rods i use 3K spinners for light to medium-light & 4K for medium to medium-heavy applications. I mostly use braid but when i do use clear line it's always on the 3K reels. I prefer 15-20g jigs on my 3K & 30g for the 4K. Again these are my preferences & yours may differ. When i do use clear i've found using fluorocarbon didn't fit my game but monofilament did.

So now when you hear of "whipping the reefs" or "dunking the flats" now you know what it means.

Attachments

• Cover-Whipping Stealheads:SST.jpg
    Cover-Whipping Stealheads:SST.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14