Why do you ask

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
People seem to ask for advice etc, get dozens of replies the ends thread by saying they are going to try some thing completely different???? Why?

Last edited:

Reaction score
They do it to amass as much info as possible to make an educated guess as to what is right,lets be honest,if any one of us posted 'a certain tactic',people would be jumping in saying black was white,poo-hooing said post,shit happens...

nottskev

Reaction score
I've met that a few times - there used to be a poster on here a few years back who sowed questions, ignored answers and then blithely changed the subject. A classic was their request for chub tactics on small streams. After FM members shared their best tips, the poster told us they were planning to fish the Wye. But my impression is that most posters acknowledge answers. After all, no-one is obliged to take up others' suggestions.

mikench

Reaction score
Sadly there are too many who join the forum with the sole purpose of selling something, finding some rare rod or section thereof or to ask which rod or reel to buy. They get an answer by omission or direct response and are never heard of again.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Someone asked me a question yesterday, "are you going fishing" as I was carrying a fishing rod and tackle bag I said no, I am going to play tennis. To be fair he did reply you will be better at that than you are f-------- fishing you twat but, it is amazing how some people cannot put the simplest of two and two together.

Reaction score
Yes,but there are often so many answers or options to questions that the OP wishes they hadnt started the thread in the first place,they often lead to minor spats and disagreements(what forums are for),ie what reel,what rod,what hooks,all down to personal preferences and budgets,...

Reaction score
Someone asked me a question yesterday, "are you going fishing" as I was carrying a fishing rod and tackle bag I said no, I am going to play tennis. To be fair he did reply you will be better at that than you are f-------- fishing you twat but, it is amazing how some people cannot put the simplest of two and two together.

5????

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I will give information /advice either on venues or tackle/tactics on my own experiences not what I have read about.Two things that can be annoying are One,, no acknowledgement or thanks. Two,, when the question is what rod/pole/reel should they buy without stating a budget or type of fishing they want to use it for.

steve2

Reaction score
Trouble is that with most of the questions about tackle there is no answer. It is all down to finding what right for you and 50 different answers to the same question doesn't help. You only have to look at the what is the best rod, reel,line etc to see that any new angler asking that question must be totally confused. I know I am.
But a quick thank you from them is all that is needed.

bracket

Reaction score
I am somewhat sympathetic. I think these posters have a vague concept of what they require but don't have the confidence to act. They then ask for help and get a wealth of advice and options, none of which match their original thoughts, so they go their own way. As my Mother used to say "If your not sure do what you think is best". All is not lost though. The original poster will have his horizons broadened and the information supplied taken in by another reader, as I have on numerous occasions. Pete

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to run a junior section all abilities, we showed those who had never fished before on what to do. Sometimes we would get them to buddy up with the juniors who were more competent to show them.
I took a group of young carers to Partridge Lakes , my friend and I supplied all the tackle, we had some donated. A. Young girl who had never fished before, wouldn't touch the maggots or the fish was brilliant as the day went on. We showed her how to unhook the fish, bait the hook, strike , she ended up showing some of the others.