Why?

C

Clive Evans

Probably been asked and answered many times, but......
Why is the line on top of the rod in multiplier fishing/casting?
Or am I just being dumb.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If it came from the bottom you would have a bit of a job thumbing the spool when its revolving at a heck of a speed.

I can see some thumbs being lost or squashed.

J

jason fisher

in case you didn't understand what ron meant,
proir to casting you hold the spool still by placing your thumb on top of it, you can also control the rate that line is released and so stop overruns by lightly touching the spool with your thumb during the cast.
so you have the multiplier on top of the rod.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Slightly OT, but if you use the side of the spool rather than the line on the spool to brake your cast or control the cast, you run less risk of damanging your thumb. You can also get small thumb rings that will protect your thumb during casting. This is particularly true when casting with braid which can cut very easily indeed, and whilst inportant when beachcasting the practice of braqking using the spool and not the line really comes into its own when boat fishing for big game fish. Anyone try to slow a shark by thumbing the spool line when the fish is running will learn a lesson they will never forget... and yes that is exactly how I learned to use the spool for braking and control and not the braid main line :)

C

Clive Evans

Oh well, as I thought. I was being dumb, duh.
Thanks all!

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
You will also notice that, because the line runs on top of the rod, you have more but smaller rings on a multiplier rod than on a f/s rod. This is to keep the line away from the blank when you,ve got a bend in it.