Wychwood foldable specimen landing nets.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well,up until yesterday I was reasonably happy with these,I had two,the medium and large,they had the quite clever idea of a small magnet sewn into the bottom of the net and a piece of plastic coated steel on the spreader block which kept the reasonably deep nets tidy until you had a fish in them,well I noticed in the large one a piece of plastic on the end of the removable arm had gone walkies,but yesterday,after I had finished fishing for the day and shook the excess water before hanging it up to dry that the permanently fixed metal part of of the arm had snapped inside the spreader,thus totally shot,now years ago,we used to buy a net and it be the netting getting damaged beyond repair that signalled it was time for the bin,by the frame would last forever,I've had both these nets for just over a year,my advice to anyone looking for a net,DO NOT BUY A WYCHWOOD....

john step

Reaction score
I find nothing lasts nowadays. Nets, net handles, chairs. The lot. I suppose it depends on how often things are used.

nottskev

Reaction score
It isn't just fishing gear. When CD players came out, the first one I bought, a Technics, lasted 12 years The next, 2 years. The amplifier I bought with the first CD player - Denon, respectable mid-range - lasted 15 years. It's replacement, another Denon, failed after 3 years. In both cases the original items weighed way more than the replacements which felt like they were made of plastic or something lighter. It's not for nothing that, even though I could buy anything on the market, I'm still using 90's Shimano rods, reels and poles.

ian g

Reaction score
built in obsolescence , my korum folding net broke after I caught a mid single pike and lifted it breaking the block

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I have three one piece korum landing nets,2 26in,one 24in,the frames are sound,the nets gave out,after countless repairs,I still have them,they use pins to hold everything together,I have a korum folding net although it has never let me down I don't like the way the hinged bit doesn't sit flat,I reckon you need to take two nets in the car in case one let's you down,what sort of endorsement is that,load of rubbish,the thickness of the metal tube on the Wychwood is a bloody disgrace and they should be ashamed,I would say by eye 0.7mm,another 0.2mm and it would last forever,but that's not what they want is it...

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Not necessarily Ian,it depends what net model of Korums you have,the Korum build quality has gone downhill in the last few years,with the use of plastic covering a multitude of sins,I just look at the old round nets we used to use,the one with solid 6mm aluminium bar inside a clear green plastic tubing,the bar didn't go the complete diameter of the net,but it took a right beating,sometimes bending a little out of shape,but you careful eased them back,but they rarely broke,this garbage today is unfair on the angler,imagine if the net would have given out on a long awaited trip out where you had done loads of miles to fish,I'd be bloody gutted...

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I have recently bought another Korum 30" folding spoon net as my first was slightly bent on the frame. No complaint about the first as it was my friends fault - he has a habit of trying to lift 40 lb carp with the net handle almost horizontal.....and with the telescopic handle at full length!

Imagine lifting 42lbs on the wrong end of a 10' lever! :eek:

After he did that with the first I thought he would have remembered for the 2nd but I still had to remind him "draw the fish towards you, shorten the handle to minimum length, then use both hands supporting the frame to lift the fish "

Anyway, the new folding spoon is slightly stronger built, the old one still useable is kept for back-up.

So far my Korum tackle has been OK.

Oh, the Gardner telescopic net handle is proving up to the job as well - despite abuse!

@Clive

Reaction score
I don't trust the plastic parts of my Korum folding net. Given that a lot of my carp and barbel fishing is from 5 feet above the water level I fasten some para' cord around the mesh at the head of the net and use that to take the weight when lifting vertically. I trust the Drennan 3 metre landing net pole to do its job, but it isn't designed for vertical lifting.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I'm afraid many of the swims,or venues I used to fish for big barbel had high,bramble covered banks,so fish had to be lifted and picking 13lb plus barbel up would have destroyed these Wychwood nets,so how and earth can they be a 'specimen' net,absurd,both in description and build quality,the korum one piece landing nets were absolutely 100% reliable and light,but,storage and transportation can be awkward...I've ordered a Gardner foldable net now,so get ready for more cursing if it is poor,I really don't mind paying the price for a quality item,but Wychwood are taking the pee....I've also noticed the Korum foldable nets have changed their design since I bought mine,are they still hinged in the middle if the lip like the used to be???

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
The funny thing is that before coming out here 11 years ago I bought a second hand Bob Church folding reservoir net. I was spinning for perch and chub one evening and hooked a 25lb catfish. The net coped admirably and has since been used for fish up to 35lb. But a modern Korum net designed for barbel isn't up to the job.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The one I have leaves me with concerns,even though it didn't let me down I looked for something more favourable...and didn't find it,lol,very worrying for the tackle trade to fob us of with sub standard poop...

chevin4

Reaction score
Alan if you want quality have a look at Chris Brown's site. I believe they are top notch made in the UK

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Thanks Hugh,even though I've ordered a Gardner I can see me on a holy grail for a decent one...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
My Gardner folding net arrived today,the depth looks better on this net,now it is a matter of how easy it is to destroy......

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Used said net yesterday,had lots of nice fish,at first sight it looks good,net seems very strong,yet light in weight,net material dries quickly,only time will tell if it has longevity...