Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

peterjg

Reaction score
Markg is pulling our legs, it's a wind-up job! He can't be serious, can he?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
Out of curiosity. When all the houses near you have lots of snow on the roof, is your roof devoid of snow ?
What do you mean, are you trying to say I am bald and should superglue a syrup on made out of old fishing line, I hadn't thought of it but it might have possibilities.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
bb

What do you mean, are you trying to say I am bald and should superglue a syrup on made out of old fishing line, I hadn't thought of it but it might have possibilities.
If thats what floats your boat ,go for it. You could always ask for line recomendations on here, some may say Sensor, others Pro Gold for example,and best superglue to use.
I actually meant do you have a wacky baccy farm on the go in your loft, and if so how many spliffs a day are you on .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If thats what floats your boat ,go for it. You could always ask for line recomendations on here, some may say Sensor, others Pro Gold for example,and best superglue to use.
I actually meant do you have a wacky baccy farm on the go in your loft, and if so how many spliffs a day are you on .
Ah, got it. nah nothing like that, fishing is waccy enough for me; its full of lunatics. And after watching a bit of the inauguration I am not so sure it is only fishing. I think the leaders of the free world are looking a bit touched right now. Lady GaGa is about the best they can do at the moment.

Last edited:

Steve King

Reaction score
I’ve done plenty of bodge. jobs in my time, but mainly with DIY and get-you-home type fixes on cars!

One fishing related bodge I do remember is when the entire lining came out of a ring. I purchased two replacements from the tackle shop because I wanted to try something before removing the ring and whipping on a replacement. I filled down one of the replacements and carefully removed the lining. I enlarged the middle of the broken ring with a needle file. The lining was glued in place and it worked until I gave the rod to my nephew!

I’ve replaced missing R clips on trolley or barrow wheels with nylon ratchet ties too and they work well!

johnbaz

Reaction score
Many years ago I had a Sunbeam Alpine coupe, Me and the wife used to fish Aston ponds, We'd fish until it was dark then tackle down in front of the headlights!

One such night I started the car and revved ridiculously high so I had to switch it off, Turned out the throttle return spring had snapped, I didn't have a spare so had to improvise, There was a heavy elastic band around my maggot box, I used that as a return spring, It worked so well that I forgot about it for a week!!

I replaced it then as it would have perished with the heat and dropped off eventually!!

John :LOL:

john step

Reaction score
Many years ago I had a Sunbeam Alpine coupe, Me and the wife used to fish Aston ponds, We'd fish until it was dark then tackle down in front of the headlights!

One such night I started the car and revved ridiculously high so I had to switch it off, Turned out the throttle return spring had snapped, I didn't have a spare so had to improvise, There was a heavy elastic band around my maggot box, I used that as a return spring, It worked so well that I forgot about it for a week!!

I replaced it then as it would have perished with the heat and dropped off eventually!!

John :LOL:

I had one of those little Renault 4 cars about 1974. Everything was designed around it being fixed by French peasants on the farm.
The gear knob was poked through the dashboard. When the return spring broke I simply replaced it with a bungee strap and used it thus until it rusted away. The car not the strap.

Steve King

Reaction score
I managed to step on a landing net pole and crack it. A few weeks later I found a telescopic pole left out free for the taking in a front garden.

I sawed off the end of the cracked pole and glued it in the third section of the telescopic pole. Result is an 11’ landing net pole that is perfect for steep and undercut banks!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I can’t remember if I’ve posted this on here before, but a couple of years ago my wife called me into our living room to tell me there was some kind of creature behind the curtain. I being the brave and manly type (Ha Ha) armed myself with a trainer for splatting purposes and a tea towel for grabbing purposes. I could see it’s legs poking out over the top of the curtain. I eased the curtain back to reveal two cable ties that I used to hold the pole to the bracket when the screw was lost and I’d been too lazy to trim back.
b3e244c75a7c5cd9c50a601c1e2268d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My prototype fluted and booted range, limited edition, needs a bit more work but I think I am on the right track, those wooden chip shop forks make the flutes, they cut with scissors, dead easy. I might have to line them up though but a work in progress. £7.99 on ebay and who needs a lathe! No sniggering please at the back of the room
100_0725.JPG

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
My prototype fluted and booted range, limited edition, needs a bit more work but I think I am on the right track, those wooden chip shop forks make the flutes, they cut with scissors, dead easy. I might have to line them up though but a work in progress. £7.99 on ebay and who needs a lathe! No sniggering please at the back of the room
View attachment 13455
Sniggering ????
This is taking a long time to compose due to my sides aching with laughing, ??
It looks like part of a float shoved into a skinny banana. ???

rayner

Reaction score
Have you any plans to form smaller flights on other floats. Looks more than a little bulky and cumbrous for a fishing float. Robin Hood would split his tights. It's not that I'm a disbeliever I am a little struck dumb by your clunky? ?design.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Have you any plans to form smaller flights on other floats. Looks more than a little bulky and cumbrous for a fishing float. Robin Hood would split his tights. It's not that I'm a disbeliever I am a little struck dumb by your clunky? ?design.
Are you thinking pretty and conventual, I am thinking functionality. I can cut and sand the planes to any desired width, however, I sort of like the chunky bits. They will serve the real purpose of the float and provide a good hold against the water pressure when I mend the line and not move the bait. Hopefully without too much resistance going downwards on a bite; I am not so sure those proper lathed ones are actually doing that much, I have used them in the past and I think they they were more designed as a novelty and to catch the anglers eye. The planes are thin enough I think but using wood will make the float more buoyant which I don't necessarily want but it wont do much harm. I want to attach the planes a bit better as well, maybe cut some grooves in the float and cement them in a lot better. When its all varnished and painted it still wont look pretty or conventual but mine will work better; I will get the desired effect but see how it goes.
I fish slow moving rivers with small floats and mending the line often ends up moving the float 2ft and then the bait and hook; this must put off a lot of fish. If I can mend the line without doing that with a float designed not to move as much but still function as a float and bite indicator then that will suit me especially when I am Mullet fishing, they are easily spooked.

Last edited: