Your dad

bracket

Reaction score
My Dad and I were as close as Siamese twins on all things except fishing. He could not understand my interest in it and I did not have the words to explain it. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. What I know of fishing I learnt from my Grandfather. He was your typical old style match angler. Never missed a weekend and with me along as a Goofer and guardian of the tackle whilst he and the rest were in the pub. I was outside with a bag of crisps and a bottle of tizer. Pete

Andydj

Reaction score
How was it or still is, my Dad taught me and to a large extent I still fish like it, maybe that's why I don't catch much same as I did then. I am still more or less using float only and bread, never got on with feeders and all the paraphernalia, not knocking it just the way I am. Dad was a funny old bloke, very fussy about bait, bread paste especially but he had no technique as such. As long as he had his pipe on the go and a float in the water he was happy. His career was in the bank , later a manager which offered him access to some customers with water, I am sure he bribed some of them, you want a loan, well let me look into it; by the way don't you have a bit of the Kennet!!? That's how it was done in those days! With 5 daughters and Mum I think it was the only peace he got, he would take me every other Sunday as a rule and would tut tut all day as I tried to be flash and cast all over the place. He had this rule, don't put the landing net together until we caught a fish, bad luck it was, how superstitious that generation were. He caught a massive bream once and he said get the landing net, I decided it would take too long to put the net together and tried to lift up with my hands and then dropped it and it got away, "and away". he never forgave me, wouldn't talk about it again, apart from saying I was cut out of the will. Still think of him when I fish, always some little thing reminds of fishing with him.
My Dad took me out a few times in a small boat Sea fishing until once when the wind blew up and Mum banned him from ever doing it again! It got rough. I was about 5 at the time.
He once took me lake fishing but ended up going mad because the split shot had been forgotten! I got the blame for some reason! I was just a little kid and no idea why I got the blame! I still have no idea!
Anyway, it set the seed and by the age of 8 I was off down the local stream and don't recall ever going with Dad again.
I guess I was pretty much self taught as Dad was never a real fisherman.