Open question to our forum members who enjoy 'classic' coarse angling.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you will have come across one of our adverts or newsletters for our Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques business by now, either here on the forums, or on the FM Facebook page perhaps and so know it exists as least.

We have been growing the stock, in particular since John Stephenson joined the team a few months back as Commercial Director, who was formerly the manager of the fishing section at Mullock's Auctions for many years, and as such is a very well known face in those circles. His knowledge of vintage fishing tackle is fascinating, witnessed by the series of blogs he has started to write for the site. Have a look at the 'Antique and Vintage Fishing Tackle Info' section on the site when you get a minute. Very interesting stuff and new short articles being added weekly. We also have our video library now too all about collecting vintage tackle so you can learn about different aspects.

What we would like to know from you is what brands of rods, reels and other accessories you like to collect, and so what we should be looking out for in our buying missions around the country?

We'd love to see some photos posted up by the way of some of your favourite pieces, display cases or collections in this thread!

Our stock has largely been fly fishing oriented just due to the original inventory we took on, but we are working hard to bring in some lovely vintage classic coarse tackle now too for sale, and have had several B James Avons, including the Richard Walker versions, Peter Stone Ledgerstrikes, various Hardy, Farlow and Allcock centrepins, and fixed spool reels like Mitchells and Hardy's plus some very nice Abu gear too. It has been turning over nicely, and we are also now running an ebay store which is being very successful at https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/thomasturnerfishingantiques with even more stock. Most is still very usable which we know is important to some, whereas as others have had a good life and now it is time for them to rest easy and just be admired as display pieces.

But we'd like to focus even more on the finer side of quality classic coarse fishing tackle, hence the question of what items you might be keeping your eyes open for? Please do let us know and we will start to share more items through into this classifieds section for you to see. We also maintain a 'wishlist' of specific items being searched for - just email us at office@thomasturner.com to see if we can help!

Do you have vintage or classic modern fishing tackle to sell?
We are always interested in purchasing high quality vintage or modern tackle items.
If you have a collection or an individual item to sell please get in touch. You can use the form on our website, or email us at john@thomasturner.com
Please include some good clear images, our video on the webpage will help with that. We will get right back to you by phone or email.
Remember, most things are worth something! Brands of particular interest include Hardy, Allcock’s, Foster’s, Abu, Farlows, B James, Sharpe’s, Orvis, Sage, Thomas & Thomas, Abel, Tibor and Loop.
So don’t chuck it out, check it out!

Thanks,

Paul

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peronally I collect vintage rods, reels and associated tackle.

I have a preferrence for Split cane classic rods; Mk IV Avon and Carp rods, Wizards, Aspindales, and the like, but also a more modern" Barder as well.

I also have some quite old poles and landing nets as well as a couple of **** Walker's Keepnets complete with provenance

Reels are mostly centrepins, again from the classic periods Aerials, Fred Crouch and the like.

I have a fair few old fixed spools reels, Mitchells, Abu's and older models of Intrepid.

I have a penchant for old floats, Harcorks and quills etc, and those who hve been to my home have seen my shadow box coffee table with old reels, bait presses and some really old hooks etc., as well as some old fishing licences.

I am always on the look out for new pieces to but in line with the above comments.

I would rather not put photos up, for obvious reasons of security though.

Last edited:
O

O.C.F.Disorder

I feel like its a generational thing, I dont feel sentimental about any item of fishing tackle. That said, I would love to own some vintage hand carved lures.

B

binka

I don't collect vintage tackle but that's simply because I generally can't afford to but I keep my eye out and admire lots of what's about, as an occasional visitor to the Thomas Turner site I think it is well presented with lots of interesting listings and very clear to navigate.

Personally...

Floats and good quality float boxes and collections always grab my attention as do good quality, usable brass spring balances (no surprise there given my post regarding them in another thread), Harcork spring to mind immediately for the floats.

Woolworth's floats, branded under the Winfield logo... Not sure the 80's will class as 'vintage' but I've a soft spot for them, even if they did chip so easily, they were lovely floats in every other respect.

I've noticed that a good deal of Efgeeco branded gear seems to fetch good prices on that well known auction site but if money was no object then I'd be looking at Hardy, Bruce & Walker, Alcock etc.

If I ever get around to having a room inside the house dedicated to fishing (and I will!) then I'd be looking for an old, three or four hoop knotted keepnet to adorn it along with a similar landing net and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they're a fairly common fascination.

I've had the occasional flirt with the idea of buying a good split cane rod or two but I don't want to press my nose against the window of a showroom I can't afford to shop in so that will have to wait, for now at least but i'll continue to pick up the odd small item here and there where the cost isn't so great.

Oh...

And wooden float winders, the kind with the sliding 'Caps' compartment/s.

:)

Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing more and more Coarse related listings and I think you'll do well...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a Richard Carter Bernard venables centrepin reel....if you ever get one in stock please give me a shout!
Infact if you get any RC centrepins in stock i'd be interested to hear what models they are as I am on the look out for some of them.
Same goes for Any Paul Witcher reels.
I've no idea if you deal in art work but i'm interested in John Searl prints.

B

binka

How could I forget?

Good quality wicker and willow baskets...

And it gets used with fair frequency...

B

binka

Angling related breweriana?

IIRC I salvaged this from a builder's skip whilst on holiday in Torquay around twenty five years ago and it then sat in a sorry state ever since so I restored it myself a couple of years ago.

I think the back of it had been used as a plasterer's mixing board :eek:mg:

picture share

I don't think it was ever anything more than decorative thing but it's a nice thing in it's own right and I reckon there could be a keen market out there for the genuine articles.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Angling related breweriana?

IIRC I salvaged this from a builder's skip whilst on holiday in Torquay around twenty five years ago and it then sat in a sorry state ever since so I restored it myself a couple of years ago.

I think the back of it had been used as a plasterer's mixing board :eek:mg:

picture share

I don't think it was ever anything more than decorative thing but it's a nice thing in it's own right and I reckon there could be a keen market out there for the genuine articles.

I like that a lot, if your ever daft enough to let it go give me first dibbs on it Ste :).

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the comments so far - very useful and interesting too. Love the photos and especially that old wicker basket out on the bank - fantastic!

Tigger - I will pass your want list along to John Stephenson so he can keep his eyes open for you.

If anyone else wants to share please keep the comments coming about what you enjoy collecting, or would like to collect.

For those on a budget (including me!), it's always worth a look in the clearance section and also the Accessories (and the Misc sub-section in there too) section as there are all manner of objects in those starting at all levels of pricing and fine for some nice shelf pieces to start you off.

Thanks,

Paul

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
John Stephenson was extremely helpful and passed on excellent advice when I was "cataloguing" my late Uncles' fishing gear. It helped me add further identity and information particularly on several fly fishing reels and rods.

I reckon I'm not a collector but do like my centrepins! I had a fair few before my uncles passed away last year and have inherited "a few more".

I like to use all my gear as much as possible rather than display it. That will probably prove impossible in my lifetime but it will be fun trying.

IMG_7591.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've donated some of my late Uncles' gear, particularly some of their salmon fly & spinning bits and pieces, to The Royalty Rod Museum. Tony Timms and the supporters have done a remarkable job there and the museum holds a range of stunning antique and historical items.

Whilst I was searching through some of my inheritance I found this box in the garage. I truly thought this was one of Micks' famed float boxes (he was a Master Joiner). I wasn't too disappointed when I opened it. The selection of salmon and seatrout flies, many tied by Ron and Mick, was simply stunning. It now sits in a corner of the museum.

IMG_6239 (600 x 450).jpg

RonMick1965.jpg

Last edited:

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to break the news Neil, but you're definitely a collector! :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. Those flies look really nice and what a fish that was!

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Message from John Stephenson - The Venables connection!

John Stephenson passed along this little anecdote which he thought you might all enjoy here on Fishing Magic.

The Venables connection

Hi! I was lucky enough to meet with Bernard Venables many years ago when he came to my house and we talked vintage tackle late into the night in my tackle, room accompanied by a wee dram.

He was the most gentlemenly of all anglers, very knowledgeable and humble at the same time.

We talked of the 1940’s-70s era, he recognised many of my reels and was passionate about the history of the older models, many going back and beyond to 1800.

Who could resist wanting to go perch fishing the very next day with cane rod, wood framed landing net and centre pin reel, halcyon days!

The picture here is from the back cover on one of my tackle books, Understanding Threadlines, when I was just a lad back in 1992.

venables pic.jpg

If you are interested in vintage tackle, please do go to our Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques website and look for my regular short blog articles on rare and interesting reels and ephemera. Here is the link for you - [url]https://www.thomasturner.com/vintage-tackle-blog/[/URL]

Thanks,

John.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You might be right! Not that I need another one but just acquired a JW Youngs Trudex, well worn exterior, but spins like a dream. Cost me 999p

;) :eek:mg: ;) :eek:mg:

That's the problem with centrepin reels, they really are appealing to some and the urge to keep aquiring them can become obsessive!
I have had a fair few myself and still have about 30 or more today :eek:mg:.
I think i've managed to control my addiction and although I would still buy more pins i'm a lot more selective and it will have to be particular ones to make me purchase them.

steve2

Reaction score
I do have a few vintage items of tackle all of which apart from two I have used and some I still use.
Rapidex and Trudex I still use for trotting or close in float fishing. A Royal Avon centerpin I used for many years before selling it to a collector in Australia.

I must have had loads of what is now classed as classic tackle pass through my hands when updating for new tackle. Having at one time or another owned cane Ledgerstrikes, MKIV Carprods and Avons, Wallis Avons and various others. Allocks Aerial reels etc.

Rod wise I have Allcocks Light Caster, an unnamed rod that I think is a converted fly rod to float rod.
Two unused classic Splitcane fly rods, a Pezon et Michel, parabolic normale, CC De France in new condition and a Henry Aiken Superflex with the original sales label attached. This one as never been used. Did try to sell these but no one wanted cane fly rods only carbon.

When does tackle become classic I have ABU multipliers 40 plus years old and lures of the same age? Is it age related or manufacturer? Can old carbon or fibreglass rods be classed as classic I have a few of those?

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve2,

As you know antique usually means 100 years and older, vintage though is less defined. To us at Thomas Turner I guess it means anything more than around 20-30 years old that you couldn't really say was 'new' or 'modern' any more, even though it is probably still very functional. So yes the Abu multipliers would qualify as vintage or even the other term we use, which is 'modern classic' - i.e. a design that either has been around a while or even still is and can be desirable, or something truly modern that is likely to become collectible in the future due to its heritage, design and materials. Fibre glass rods have had a resurgence and we do sell quite a few of the older classics and yes even some of the original carbon fibre rods like Hardy's sell for us as well. I think usually it is for anglers who remember an old favourite and want another one to relive the memories and action of those older rods.

We certainly would be interested in hearing from you about any of the tackle you mention that you might wish to sell. Please drop an email to my colleague John Stephenson at john@thomasturner.com in the first instance perhaps with a list of items, and then he can ask you for photos and details of the items he might be interested in checking out further with you.

Thanks

Paul

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The market and the prices for vintage tackle has grown over the past decade or two, and for many the entry level prices are just too high and can be quite off-putting.

There is a case then for maybe stocking a range of the cheaper “entry level centrepins such as Rapidex, Trudex and Avon Royal Supreme as a “taster”.

In fact many of those models are perfectly useable today and my Trudex and Rapidex get an airing every now and then.