Help with Crabtree landing net frame.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have just completed making the landing net frame in the picture.
Laminated sycamore strips and a Burmese teak spreader block all protected with several coats of finishing oil.
My problem now is a suitable mesh net to go with it before moving it on to someone who likes the more traditional approach to their angling-- any suggestions please ?
Ps-- the frame is on a traditional flame scorched handle and totals 5'-6" in length and the frame is 18" long and 13 1/2" wide.7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice piece of craftsmanship there Flight.

I can’t answer your question, if you get stuck I can put you in touch with someone who’s all about this stuff.

flightliner

Reaction score
Many thanks S63! Appreciated.
You would have liked seeing the boat I made back in the eighties.
Sadly I had to sell it on account of moving a little nearer to the Trent -- a move where a lot of work was involved, cut me up that one !

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you're using it for snotties Mick it's best left like it is............................

Keith M

Reaction score
If it is going to be used for landing fish in the UK then you will need to keep away from the more authentic knotted mesh, as knotted mesh is illegal but if it’s going to just spend its life on show then it shouldn’t really matter.

Keith

flightliner

Reaction score
Keith, thank you, a point that I'd overlooked!!
You also raise the point of it being "a show piece", maybe sat in someone's angling study, I would hope that that would be any buyers intention as these old style landing nets really do enhance such places!

flightliner

Reaction score
Very kind of you to say so John!
The hardest part was making the template!
I still miss my boat tho lol.