Hardy Marksman rods

B

binka

I quite agree with respect to the rods.

Considering the following, from their shop page profile, I wouldn't even consider paying anywhere near rrp prices...

'The Compleat Angler eBay store is operated by Pure Fishing UK. We will be selling ex-demonstration, ex-display and slight second products from the 11 tackle brands owned and distributed in the UK'

I know there's debate about Hardy's pre-sell out business model but I'm afraid it was R.I.P Hardy for me the moment that Pure Fishing got involved.

Shortly afterwards their Hardy Coarse Fishing website disappeared without notice and consideration for their customers along with everyone's accounts and registration details which caused me inconvenience whilst trying to contact them about a warranty issue.

The attitude I received was of a noticeably unhelpful tone too.

As I say, what was... Was.

Make little mistake that under the Pure Fishing banner it's gone as far as what made it so good in the first place and I think what you are referring to in your post is a pretty good example of it.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Go on, I'll bite, why?
Hardy (Pure Fishing) have been selling stuff via ebay for quite some time. Prior to the Pure Fishing takeover, the same sort of stuff would have cleared through tackle shops or their own shop at Alnwick.
Is it them selling through ebay that you've got an issue with or is it the prices?

B

binka

Go on, I'll bite, why?
Hardy (Pure Fishing) have been selling stuff via ebay for quite some time. Prior to the Pure Fishing takeover, the same sort of stuff would have cleared through tackle shops or their own shop at Alnwick.
Is it them selling through ebay that you've got an issue with or is it the prices?

For me it's the whole way that Pure Fishing have handled it and the lack of respect, consideration and support of their existing customers, considering my experience with them and the way they just pulled the website along with all the registration and warranty details.

I do think that knocking out ex-display and slight seconds at rrp is a joke but if someone's daft enough to buy it then good luck to 'em.

Pleased I got in and filled me boots when I did, I wouldn't touch 'em now.

macko

Reaction score
It's the prices I have a problem with, especially ex display rods.

ATB Macko

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Which bit of tackle?

The Marksman coarse rods

ATB Macko

sam vimes

Reaction score
For me it's the whole way that Pure Fishing have handled it and the lack of respect, consideration and support of their existing customers, considering my experience with them and the way they just pulled the website along with all the registration and warranty details.

I can understand the ire on that score. It also affected the Greys and Chub stuff. Between the three brands, that amounted to a fair bit of kit for me too. However, it tends to be what happens when companies go under/get bought out. Couple that with the fact that the Hardy/Greys lifetime guarantee wasn't all it was cracked up to be anyway, means I don't care that much. I never really expected spares to be available after a year or two. Old school Hardy would have had spares forever and a day, but it was a failing company.

I do think that knocking out ex-display and slight seconds at rrp is a joke but if someone's daft enough to buy it then good luck to 'em.

Pleased I got in and filled me boots when I did, I wouldn't touch 'em now.

But there's the rub, people have occasionally been daft enough to pay rrp (and more) for second hand Hardy coarse rods. Anyone would think that they were out of production never to be seen again!;):D
I remember how much they cleared for at the likes of Climax Tackle. I almost wish that I was mercenary enough to have bought a load to store for a few years and sell them at daft prices.

B

binka

I remember the Climax prices Chris, Glasgow Angling Centre were even cheaper on some stuff and I bought a couple of bits of luggage from them at well below half price.

That 12' barbel rod which Pure Fishing are asking £349 for is being knocked out at something like £179 somewhere down south and they had plenty of stock too.

Can't remember exactly where now but I was enquiring on behalf of someone else at the time, I might see if I can find it again and get hold of a few :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember the Climax prices Chris, Glasgow Angling Centre were even cheaper on some stuff and I bought a couple of bits of luggage from them at well below half price.

That 12' barbel rod which Pure Fishing are asking £349 for is being knocked out at something like £179 somewhere down south and they had plenty of stock too.

Can't remember exactly where now but I was enquiring on behalf of someone else at the time, I might see if I can find it again and get hold of a few :)

Jeez...£179 for the barbel rod....that's very cheap!

macko

Reaction score
Yep, it was the Tackle Exchange Walton, that I put S-Kippy onto.

ATB Macko

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

ATB Macko

I got a barbel rod from them at the time but it cost me 200 notes plus post if I remember rightly, still a good price I suppose especially as I love the rod! I think they only had another one or maybe two left after I got mine but they had a few other supero models left.

I did get another barbel rod of ebay fo 200 notes including delivery.

macko

Reaction score
The Hardy Marksman net handle was on eBay and sold today for £68.00
I bought 3 at Walton Tackle Exchange at the beginning of the season for
£28.00 each, love 'em. Perfect with the smuggler rods. I gave one each
to my son and nephew.

ATB Macko

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

ATB Macko

It was indeed and I was very grateful for the tip. Between us me and the Big Feller relieved said emporium of 3 Supero barbel rods. Don't know how much he's got left now but he had a shed load. Small shop, loads of gear and a really nice guy.

Damn ! I feel a trip to Walton coming on :eek:mg:

B

binka

The Hardy Marksman net handle was on eBay and sold today for £68.00
I bought 3 at Walton Tackle Exchange at the beginning of the season for
£28.00 each, love 'em. Perfect with the smuggler rods. I gave one each
to my son and nephew.

ATB Macko

I've had two, Binka'd 'em both I'm afraid :eek:mg:

Completely my fault, I snapped the first on a barbel and trod on the second.

I'm surprised Hardy didn't bring out a one piece 6' handle back at the time, I've now fashioned my own from the original butt section (which was the really nice thing about the whole handle) and what was a separate 6' handle.

It now comes in at around 6' 10" or around 9' with the net added which feels just right to me for an all rounder, nicely painted up and lacquered it looks the part too without the scratches which used to appear with the original telescopic one.

I also replaced the wooden end cap, which was repeatedly coming off and having to be glued back on, on both original handles, with something nicer looking and more substantial which bolted on from the inside of the metal ring.

B

binka

You've talked me out of one now, Steve. I was off to Walton to see if he had any left. Don't think I'll bother now.

Personally and in my (clumsy!) experience I don't blame you Skip.

Without a doubt they're a nice bit of kit but a bit too delicate for my escapades and that wooden end cap used to drive me up the wall.

Like most telescopic things they always look nice when new but after a few bits of grit have done their thing it's a different story after a while which kind of defeats the point of it looking so nice in the first place.

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

The bespoke, one piece version and a big improvement for me...

I was also able to get rid of the writing on it which conveniently used to tell me it's an 8' landing net handle, just in case I looked at it one day and had completely forgotten :rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was also able to get rid of the writing on it which conveniently used to tell me it's an 8' landing net handle, just in case I looked at it one day and had completely forgotten :rolleyes:

That looks suspiciously like a drwer knob stuck on the handle ;).

B

binka

That looks suspiciously like a drwer knob stuck on the handle ;).

It may well be just that :)

I looked at a few things in all fairness and that proved to be just the thing in exactly the right diameter lol, it also came with a threaded metal insert and a strong bolt which was just the right size to go through a hole in the metal collar that it's fastened to with the addition of a metal washer which I already had and one thing's for sure...

Unlike Hardy's best efforts, it ain't coming off for love nor money! :D

If I'm wading and want to take the net I just tie a figure of eight loop around the thin part of the knob and hook the other loop onto an S clip which I put through a belt loop so that it's nice and handy and just hangs in the current without ever getting in the way.

Job's a guddun :)