Otters again...

lutra

Reaction score
So if your fishery has no fence you are powerless.
Sounds all wrong to me.

Yes but its largely only over stocked and/or waters that have recruitment problems that are having problems with the return of otters. The vast majority of rivers and natural still waters are doing just fine and even great and better than ever in many cases.

Angling's modern desire for over stocked waters with out fences and a small hand full of rivers that have very poor recruitment are the problems that need addressing not otters.

I've spent most of my life hunting shooting and fishing, but talk of shooting and trapping one of the UK's most loved, protected and just making a come back from years of serious decline species, says it all about where modern anglers are at for me. Its not with protecting our natural environment, its with the selfish greed to fill its own desire at any cost to anything else.

Keith M

Reaction score
Humans are past masters in messing things up when they try dabbling in the recolonisation of species. They always think they know best instead of letting nature get on with it in its own way naturally.

The country has changed quite a bit since otters inhabited most of our rivers and now some of our rivers run through towns and villages and under motorways and other built up areas some of which were not there before so the otters can't always spread out along a river as easily as they did before, so they often get limited to isolated pockets of countryside and rivers, so what do they do in these situations? they certainly will still continue to breed.

I'm not against otters, but I'm certainly against us humans trying to interfere with the ways we try to speed things up by re-introducing them.

If we turned our attention to repairing the damage we do to the environment then nature has a way of resetting the balance of species that will inhabit it.

Keith

Last edited:

lutra

Reaction score
Humans are past masters in messing things up when they try dabbling in the recolonisation of species. They always think they know best instead of letting nature get on with it in its own way naturally.

The country has changed quite a bit since otters inhabited most of our rivers and now some of our rivers run through towns and villages and under motorways and other built up areas some of which were not there before so the otters can't always spread out along a river as easily as they did before, so they often get limited to isolated pockets of countryside and rivers, so what do they do in these situations? they certainly will still continue to breed.

I'm not against otters, but I'm certainly against us humans trying to interfere with the ways we try to speed things up by re-introducing them.

If we turned our attention to repairing the damage we do to the environment then nature has a way of resetting the balance of species that will inhabit it.

Keith

Total agree Keith, I don't think there was any real need to help them. It won't make any difference in the long run.

There aren't many barriers to an otter. They've been know to steal goldfish from many an urban pond. If the water runs through it, there's not a lot stopping an otter from going through as well. It may even get run over trying.

trotter2

Reaction score
3 years ago there was 2 otters on a mile and a half of my local river.
Now there is 8, one adult eats 3lb of fish per day and considering they sometime only eat the head that's one hell off a lot of fish open to otter predation.
Unfortunately large fish have almost disappeared from this water being older and slow moving I think it would leave them very venerable to attack. The ones your lucky to find often carry bite and claw marks to verify the problem.

That's rivers now apply this to ponds and stillwaters it dose not take a genius to work out the cost to a small fishing club at carp costing £7 per pound.
Fences cannot always be fitted because of finances or topography of the land or unwilling land owner who just wont comply.
The whole predation situation is ridicules to say the least and needs serious rethinking IMO .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
3 years ago there was 2 otters on a mile and a half of my local river.
Now there is 8, one adult eats 3lb of fish per day and considering they sometime only eat the head that's one hell off a lot of fish open to otter predation.
Unfortunately large fish have almost disappeared from this water being older and slow moving I think it would leave them very venerable to attack. The ones your lucky to find often carry bite and claw marks to verify the problem.

That really is bullshine, no way is there 8 otters on a mile and a half of river, they're highly territorial and tolerate no other otters in their patch.
Even if there was 8 otters (which there isn't) and they ate as much food as you say they do and have caused this section of river to have low numbers of fish why the hell would the otters stay there and struggle to catch a fish (they wouldn't) they'd just move up or down river where there was a better supply of fish and other food.

By the way, man has been on the moon lol.

trotter2

Reaction score
That really is bullshine, no way is there 8 otters on a mile and a half of river, they're highly territorial and tolerate no other otters in their patch.
Even if there was 8 otters (which there isn't) and they ate as much food as you say they do and have caused this section of river to have low numbers of fish why the hell would the otters stay there and struggle to catch a fish (they wouldn't) they'd just move up or down river where there was a better supply of fish and other food.

By the way, man has been on the moon lol.

In all probability adult otters have no specific breeding time so the youngsters could have moved on . My point was 3 otters had offspring and became 8
Regarding what the otters are feeding now will be the crayfish population and the dace and grayling numbers. My point I was trying to put was the decline of larger fish notably chub and barbel which is most worrying.

Adult otters weigh from 13lb for a female to over 20 lb for a male and consume up to 20% of there body weight daily Google it. That's according to the web.
I don't bullshit Ian never have done mate. It looks to me some of you are disregarding negative remarks because you are not directly effected by this problem which is a shame.

Anyway before world war three breaks out that's me finished on this one.

lutra

Reaction score
It looks to me some of you are disregarding negative remarks because you are not directly effected by this problem which is a shame.
Yes we have been trying to tell you we are not directly effected.

Maybe all the other otters in the country are veggies and its just yours that eat fish.

Or maybe the river with no name has many problems and your barking up the wrong tree.

39 barbel ‘doubles’! — Angling Times

River Wye barbel record smashed — Angling Times

Big bream weights at ‘natural’ matches — Angling Times

B

binka

If ww3 broke out and there was a food shortage would it be ok to eat otters :D

Tarka vindaloo...

It's a bit like a madras but a little otter! :eek:mg:

C'mon someone had to say it!! :D

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes we have been trying to tell you we are not directly effected.

Maybe all the other otters in the country are veggies and its just yours that eat fish.

Or maybe the river with no name has many problems and your barking up the wrong tree.

39 barbel ‘doubles’! — Angling Times

River Wye barbel record smashed — Angling Times

Big bream weights at ‘natural’ matches — Angling Times

Sorry but those 3 links you posted only goes to show that the problem with otters may not be affecting all rivers equally

The first is from the Trent and is from a madhouse place where I doubt any otters would dare show their faces its that populated and noisy.

The second from another big river that has always had an indigenous otter population that would not put up with new blood otters moving into their territory. because of having that original population both the river and the otters are able to coexist

The third only shows a reasonable net of bream, hardly showing that otters are not a problem just that even otters will turn their noses up at bream.

I believe that anglers views on otters vary according to where they fish and whether the rivers they fish have always had an indigenous population because on those rivers very little has changed but on others.................

lutra

Reaction score
Sorry but those 3 links you posted only goes to show that the problem with otters may not be affecting all rivers equally

The first is from the Trent and is from a madhouse place where I doubt any otters would dare show their faces its that populated and noisy.

The second from another big river that has always had an indigenous otter population that would not put up with new blood otters moving into their territory. because of having that original population both the river and the otters are able to coexist

The third only shows a reasonable net of bream, hardly showing that otters are not a problem just that even otters will turn their noses up at bream.

I believe that anglers views on otters vary according to where they fish and whether the rivers they fish have always had an indigenous population because on those rivers very little has changed but on others.................
It was just the river stories from one angling mag this week. I can dig deeper and come up with a happy smiling angler from most corners of the UK if you like.

There are very few if any rivers that haven't seen a dramatic rise in otter numbers in resent years, even them that were lucky enough to hold on to one or two.

thecrow

Reaction score
It was just the river stories from one angling mag this week. I can dig deeper and come up with a happy smiling angler from most corners of the UK if you like.
was just the river stories from one angling mag this week. I can dig deeper and come up with a happy smiling angler from most corners of the UK if you like.

And I could give you a list of rivers that used to have matches held on them and no longer do so, it would mean nothing as would your cherry picking from a magazine, by the way your 3rd link was from a Stillwater. time for you to go back on the ignore list, bye now.

lutra

Reaction score
And I could give you a list of rivers that used to have matches held on them and no longer do so, it would mean nothing as would your cherry picking from a magazine, by the way your 3rd link was from a Stillwater. time for you to go back on the ignore list, bye now.

"Meanwhile, the latest RiverFest qualifier visited a legendary, but now little-used match haunt, the Warwickshire Avon around Stratford, where Martin Ward booked his place in the final with 49-14-0 of chub on waggler and maggot tactics."

Bye, I'll miss you.