ground bait additives

stripey

Reaction score
are any of you guys using hemp oil [ marketed as good oil in tesco's] in your ground bait, i have been using it for the past year and are finding the results very encouraging, also i use it as a gunk on the hook bait, i have found it is good for skimmers,roach tench and carp, not used it on rivers as yet but would assume it's attractive to chub, would appreciate the views of others who are using it.

john step

Reaction score
I save the water from cooking hemp as a groundbait additive. Can't prove it works but it seems to. Or maybe a confidence booster?
I do use cod liver oil sometimes.Also seems to boost my confidence.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
i like to use Sensas Liquid Aromix Additives sweetcorn 500ml in my groundbait
smells really nice and used it in all my mixes , best results for bream i've found
and Sensas Grilled Hemp 700g mixed into groundbait....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What particular groundbait are you using? If it's commercial stuff like Sensas or Van den Eynd etc I can't see any point in adding anything....
If it's plain crumb try it on its own first... You may be surprised....

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Getting back to Stripeys original question?

Most oils float in water..Basic chemistry? Look at a settled bottle of oil and vinegar...

Even dropping a handful of cooked hemp into the margin or any other oily feed, what happens? Fizz fizz then floating film which doesn't sink again? On flowing water it floats downstream and on still waters it generally blows away in the wind or surface tow....

Too much thinking about baits and additives won't help anyone's fishing, let alone time and expense...

IMO you'll be better off getting on the bank with natural baits ( ie chopped worm which catches any fish that swims and doesn't float) and putting more time into actually 'fishing'.....

Taxi!

nicepix

Reaction score
Peter, while you are waiting for your taxi don't you think that a scent cloud of oil or lighter than water (and vinegar) bait additives rising from the loose feed on the bottom could possibly cause some attraction and cause some fish cruising the upper levels to locate the loose feed on the bottom or stimulate them to take a bait on the drop?

peter crabtree

Reaction score
bait additives rising from the loose feed on the bottom could possibly cause some attraction and cause some fish cruising the upper levels to locate the loose feed on the bottom or stimulate them to take a bait on the drop?

If fish are in the upper layers why bother with groundbait?

cg74

Reaction score
If fish are in the upper layers why bother with groundbait?

There are endless reasons why; because you've only got bottom fishing gear, you're fishing at a distance not attainable with a float.....

Then there's the complete opposite; if you saturate your groundbait it hangs in the upper layers for ages, forming a huge cloud...

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
There are endless reasons why; because you've only got bottom fishing gear, you're fishing at a distance not attainable with a float.....

Then there's the complete opposite; if you saturate your groundbait it hangs in the upper layers for ages, forming a huge cloud...[/QUOTE

Is that in the cloud (cuckoo land) you state as your location?

I'm in the taxi already heading for Iceland......:)

laguna

Reaction score
Hemp oil is a great additive in warmer weather, try adding it at 10% of the liquid used to the mix, base and paste!

Oil does indeed float in water (basic chemistry) however the finer oil droplets tend to rise much slower due to water pressure, also it binds well and soaks into dry particles (it wont stick to dampened particles) and resists rising as easily so its a viable proposition in my opinion.
Also as an active mix (oil is more prevalent in shallow water, added to dampened particles) will be seen at a distance, fish swim in all layers even bottom feeders, active mixes carry scent better than static, active mixes don't all float off to the top - the heavier bits stay down there - others rise and fall.

stripey

Reaction score
What particular groundbait are you using? If it's commercial stuff like Sensas or Van den Eynd etc I can't see any point in adding anything....
If it's plain crumb try it on its own first... You may be surprised....

It is plain crumb i'm using, have tried all other additives as have all other anglers on the local waters i fish, just thought i would try hemp oil to see if it would give me an edge, especially on waters that the owners are still in the dark ages and have banned hemp, i think it works,but then again could be a confidence booster,still very interested if any of you lads have tried it,

David Dalton

Reaction score
On the subject of hemp oil, has anybody else tried cooking hemp with salt? This has the effect of stopping the seeds splitting, so that the oil they contain is retained and does not float to the surface and get washed away.

I first read about this in Tim Lennon's book Barbel - A Logical Approach, but I haven't tried it extensively myself.

laguna

Reaction score
On the subject of hemp oil, has anybody else tried cooking hemp with salt? This has the effect of stopping the seeds splitting, so that the oil they contain is retained and does not float to the surface and get washed away.

I first read about this in Tim Lennon's book Barbel - A Logical Approach, but I haven't tried it extensively myself.
No disrespect, but where is the logic of denying barbel the opportunity to be attracted to the scent of hemp oil?
It would be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike - no different to fishing with a hard-boiled, egg-bound, flavourless boilie!

and why boil it in salt anyway if you don't want it to split? Just soak it and add salt, it doesn't need to be boiled.

David Dalton

Reaction score
No disrespect, but where is the logic of denying barbel the opportunity to be attracted to the scent of hemp oil?
It would be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike - no different to fishing with a hard-boiled, egg-bound, flavourless boilie!

and why boil it in salt anyway if you don't want it to split? Just soak it and add salt, it doesn't need to be boiled.

I would think that boiling the hemp without it splitting would at least soften it. As to the oil, I think there is a certain logic there, as if the seeds split a great deal of the oil is probably lost in the cooking process - it floats to the surface, to be poured away when you strain the hemp, and what remained would probably be quickly washed away by the current if used in a river, or float and form a film on the surface in stillwater.

Apparently he had originally read of the idea in a carp book. The author had simply found that help cooked like this was more attractive to carp, it wasn't the intention to stop it splitting as such. TL's theory was that this made it retain more of the attractive oil that improved it as a bait, but of course it may be the salt itself that is the attractor.

laguna

Reaction score
I would think that boiling the hemp without it splitting would at least soften it. As to the oil, I think there is a certain logic there, as if the seeds split a great deal of the oil is probably lost in the cooking process - it floats to the surface, to be poured away when you strain the hemp, and what remained would probably be quickly washed away by the current if used in a river, or float and form a film on the surface in stillwater.

Apparently he had originally read of the idea in a carp book. The author had simply found that help cooked like this was more attractive to carp, it wasn't the intention to stop it splitting as such. TL's theory was that this made it retain more of the attractive oil that improved it as a bait, but of course it may be the salt itself that is the attractor.

Thanks for your response. Just questioning the logic and actually agree with you from a nutritional standpoint of retaining the oil but as an attractor? the salt will act as an attractant like it would included with any bait at a reasonable level, but a closed kernel isn't anything like as attractive to fish imo. Boiling is a quicker way to soften but it also has the addage of denaturing so you would be far better off soaking for longer (overnight, with salt added afterwards if preferred) allowing it to split and omitting the boiling process. The water that its soaked in should be enough that it all swells inside with any left mixed in with groundbait, that's the way I'd do it.

It goes without saying, that not all particles can be treated this way and DO require boiling to reduce the phytates and anti-nutrients to a safe level.

trotter2

Reaction score
Fancy groundbaits and additives IMO are a total waste of time and money.
I have said this before ,next match you fish ask the winning top 3 which ground bait and additives they use in the match. Continue this over a full season of matches, you will get every answer possible from brown crumb to £5a bag stuff
It makes no difference, if it did all the winners would using the same stuff week in week out.

On the subject of oil floating to the surface and drifting off with the wind
I think that would be detrimental to your fishing, if the scent is attracting the fish when it drifts off the fish would follow down wind?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
It makes no difference, if it did all the winners would using the same stuff week in week out.
Not quite true. But then again there is no best bait only better, better on the day and each day is different. The question is why do we need to keep changing things around? There's your answer.