What's your float setup?

sagalout

Reaction score
Being a cretin, according to my teachers anyway, I like to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and so I tend to use the same basic float setup.

2 cheap chinese float stops on the line
a micro link swivel for attaching the float chosen on the day
inline olivette about .25g below the float's capacity, I then fine tune with number 8 or 10 stotz
micro swivel
hooklink

For floats I use either the drennan dayglos or crystal inserts.

When I plumb up I mark the depth on the rod using a chinagraph.

What do you do?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mostly a quill with two or three bbs; one 2 inches from the hook. Not very sophisticated and would probably catch more if became sophisticated but I get lazy in my old age.
Whats a chinagraph Sagalot?

hiho9

Reaction score
there a wax pencil, is probably easiest way to describe

Last edited:
B

binka

I don't really have a standard set up as I do so many varied types of float fishing spread over rivers and lakes but I do try to keep things as simple as possible.

I also mark the depth against the rod blank but generally tend to just count the number of rings to where the float is positioned, I used to dot a blob of tippex on the blank which easily chipped off with finger nail pressure but I get by fine without it nowadays.

john step

Reaction score
Too many to list but I do have a favourite method that I use whenever possible because I enjoy it so much. ( Where the water has a good depth close in on lakes)

Long rod, centre pin, pole float. Fished under or close to the rod top.

B

binka

Yeah, they mark on hard non porous surfaces essentially waterproof but wipe of easy with a cloth. Much easier to clean off than tipex.

True... But our office never stocked wax pencils :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As with others, to many methods of float fishing to use just one.

Trotting is my favourite method.

I like the sliding float on deep still waters, and this method can also be used on deep rivers.

Laying on with a peacock quill a rod length out next to lilly pads.

I am happy to watch a quiver tip, but nothing beats seeing a float slip away.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
The one that fits the needs of the water/weather conditions on the day.

Pointless setting a 6aaa peacock waggler if your fishing 18" of water in the margins.

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

slaphead

Reaction score
Similar to others, Preston or Korum float adapters with the bulk shot round the base and fine tuned down the line. Always use super soft shot.

sagalout

Reaction score
Pointless setting a 6aaa peacock waggler if your fishing 18" of water in the margins
The way I do it the float is chosen on the day because it is attached via the link swivel and I can change the olivette by cutting the line at the bottom micro swivel and re-tying one palomar knot.

Chefster

Reaction score
Being a cretin, according to my teachers anyway, I like to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and so I tend to use the same basic float setup.

a micro link swivel for attaching the float chosen on the day
inline olivette about .25g below the float's capacity, I then fine tune with number 8 or 10 stotz
micro swivel
hooklink

For floats I use either the drennan dayglos or crystal inserts.

When I plumb up I mark the depth on the rod using a chinagraph.

What do you do?
So you use the same set-up for every type of fishing style and venue?i find that hard to believe,Gazza

sagalout

Reaction score
So you use the same set-up for every type of fishing style and venue?i find that hard to believe,Gazza
Basically, yeah. In general I only fish the club pits and by changing the float size it covers all the float fishing I do. I have a seperate pellet waggler rod/setup.

The waters I fish are between 4 and 11ft deep (except for the margins) and since I am only pleasure fishing I haven't found the need different setups. Maybe I am missing out.

I tend to arrive just before first light, fish on the bottom till late morning and go home.

What different setups would you use?

Chefster

Reaction score
Basically, yeah. In general I only fish the club pits and by changing the float size it covers all the float fishing I do. I have a seperate pellet waggler rod/setup.

The waters I fish are between 4 and 11ft deep (except for the margins) and since I am only pleasure fishing I haven't found the need different setups. Maybe I am missing out.

I tend to arrive just before first light, fish on the bottom till late morning and go home.

What different setups would you use?
If you,re fishing the same venue,and same style,then fair enough mate,i thought you meant for a variety of fishing:D

sagalout

Reaction score
It's not always the same pit but the club waters are almost all pits leased from the local extraction company, so it's always still water.

I do the same style because that's what seems to work for me. If I come up in the water I just change the shot placement or if I am really adventurous I might change the float.

Keith M

Reaction score
Most of the stillwaters that I fish are around 4 to 6 feet deep with large beds of lilies and overhanging branches & bushes around the edge of the lakes and on the islands; and the float that I find the most useful in all these situations is the semi-loaded and bodied 'Onion' waggler which can be accurately cast tight up to all of these features while still retaining its superb sensitivity.

It is also a very good float to use when there is a lot of surface drift due to its low down body and fine longish stem and its ability to cast well into a wind.
The Onion is only semi loaded and would lie almost flat if it was not shotted, but it has just enough loading in its base to make it fly further and truer than a normal waggler.

I usually shot this float using around 80% of the shot at the base of the float with one or two no.6 shot at just over half depth and a no. 8 tell-tale shot around 4 to 6 inches from the hook. Although I may move some more shot down into the sub flow if surface drift becomes a problem. I also use a float adapter so that I can easily change over floats when needed.

When I am trotting it is not easy for me to select a specifically useful float as I can be using either a Stick, an Avon or a Balsa and using either strung out shot or bulked shot depending on the stream and its conditions on the day and the type of swims that I am fishing.

When I was a lot younger back in the 70's I used to fish very shallow streams in Cornwall and a float that I used to use a lot then was a small chubber fished in 'Trent Trotter' mode with the line going directly to the hook and the float attached to a loop above the main line.
Does anyone still use the 'Trent trotter' any more?

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
My float adapters are home made from cut-down Korum anti-tangle sleeves, which have a thicker wall than traditional rubbers and they grip the float very tightly. For bigger floats/pellet wagglers I use an adapter from Cralusso that locks on the line. I also incorporate a Cralusso Fine Match Quick Snap Swivel: a tiny device that enables quick change of hooklinks and helps to combat spin-up. They go down to size 14 and have a breaking strength of around 9lbs at that size (about 13lbs for the size 12.) so plenty strong enough for most float fishing jobs.

john step

Reaction score
The subject of shotting has cropped up in this thread.

The last few years I have used ZLT which I have found softer and kinder to lines than other so called soft shot.
The telltales I use stotz in 8 or 10.

The ZLT when re used tend to slip when fixing a waggler so I simply put a 11 stotz or float stop each side to cure that. That way its easy to alter. Works for me.

robtherake

Reaction score
When I was a lot younger back in the 70's I used to fish very shallow streams in Cornwall and a float that I used to use a lot then was a small chubber fished in 'Trent Trotter' mode with the line going directly to the hook and the float attached to a loop above the main line.
Does anyone still use the 'Trent trotter' any more?

Keith

Just the clear Drennan versions, Keith; they're great in shallow water, bottom end only.