What's your float setup?

daniel121

Reaction score
I own maybe 500-600 floats for various situations. I don't have one particular set up mate

sam vimes

Reaction score
Variety is the spice of life. However, I tend to keep shotting patterns fairly simple. There are really only three variations I use, bulk, single droppers and evenly strung out. The three will cover all aspects whether on still or flowing water. The choice of float will vary depending on the conditions, venue, depth and target species.

However, the majority of my float fishing will be on flowing water with a long rod, centrepin reel, Avon type float and bulk shotted to get it down quickly. The flowing water I tend to fish is too swift and broken to be messing about with tiny stick floats and strung out no 6 shot. Agricultural would be a reasonable description of most of my float fishing. Absolute finesse is largely pointless.

jimlad

Reaction score
I've just read billy lanes encyclopaedia of float fishing, and it's got me thinking a bit more. On flowing water though I tend to fish shirt button style on smooth steady water, or bulking it down where the water has more pace. I then vary this simple strategy to suit conditions (such as back shotting in windy weather etc). Float choice again depends on conditions, for instance shallow fast water calls for a bulky float with short wire stem, and bulbous tip, whereas steady flows fishing relatively close in calls for a stick float in various sizes. For far bank fishing in flowing water, I do like using a waggler.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk