Lost enthusiasm

swizzle

Reaction score
Have any of you gents ever suffered from a complete loss of enthusiasm from angling before? I am experiencing my first. I am finding it really difficult to summon the drive to go, still or running water, it doesn't matter. I drove up to Throop the other day, got out of the motor, took a wander down to the bank and saw the river up, bringing a load of $hit down with it, last few years it wouldn't have deterred me. I would have found a slack to dangle in, or worst case scenario visit a stillwater. But I just got in the car and buggered off home to Lymington. This is usually my favourite time of the year for angling, normally Tench are the target. I love it. I just seem to find it a pain at the moment. I guess it doesn't help when the last few trips I have had have been a disaster. So have you suffered and how did you get over it?

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes I have felt the same in the past, why it has happened I have no idea unless it was just some kind of burnout associated with fishing for a prolonged period after a particular species/size of fish the way I have got over it was by just fishing somewhere with plenty of fish and being happy with whatever comes along.

As I have got older and it has become more difficult to fish when and where I want I find that once I have decided to go that I look forward to it the same as always.

mikench

Reaction score
As a novice who only resumed fishing 8 months or so ago the only thing which puts me off is the weather. Fishing is a lonely pastime I find with some of the waters I fish being deserted. That suits at the moment because I can mess about, cast into trees or the water 3 feet in front of me( I am improving) create my own rigs trying to remember which goes on the line first, to my hearts content!:)

It is a pastime which should be enjoyed and if you need a break from it , take one. You could always come and watch me and have a laugh!:)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Yes, only recently I packed the car ready to go than thought do I really want to drag all this stuff along the bank. I went back in door made a cup of tea and did some gardening.
I now find I am spending more and more time just lure fish with the minimum of tackle and really enjoying it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm in one of those moods right now. Mostly because I am sick to death of the M25 and there is no local fishing worth a light that interests me sufficiently. I will not go just for the sake of it. How I wish I had access to some decent local fishing.

It passes....eventually.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I think it happens to many and for some it can turn into an extended break from fishing - theres plenty of members on here who introduce themselves by saying they are returning after a break, sometimes a very long one.

I fished on average about three times a week for about 5 years as a teenager, then about once a week for the next five years into my early 20s, but took a ten year break in my thirties when i had a young family.

These days i barely manage one day a month on the bank and i struggle with enthusiasm for an early start, getting out in bad conditions etc.

I remember the intensified expectation and sense of urgency to get out as often as possible during the opening week or when conditions are just right and would still like to get back into fishing at that level of commitment. Unfortunately just too many pressures on time nowadays - i really hope i can make it to retirement and look forward to reconnecting fully then.

rubio

Reaction score
I've been in of a bit of a 'black dog' frame of mind recently and even fishing has failed to get me motivated. I have had a stroll or two without any gear, and managed to enjoy just being somewhere pleasant. Last night I actually took a rod out of the car and caught a couple of crucians quite quickly and went home after an hour. Feel much more like going again now.
Nothing is good everytime and forever. Or is there....

john step

Reaction score
I'm in one of those moods right now. Mostly because I am sick to death of the M25 and there is no local fishing worth a light that interests me sufficiently. I will not go just for the sake of it. How I wish I had access to some decent local fishing.

It passes....eventually.

Move back to Lincolnshire Skippy.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I can understand the feeling a little.Only a little though. I seldom go home thinking that the day couldn't have gone better. I think the answer is to not be too good at it and leave room for improvement....Boy have I got room for improvement!

The other way I feel is not to burn out fishing the same old waters or the same style.
If you are a regular coarse angler why not try pike/sea/fly for trout or even fly for coarse. something new and difficult to go at.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It must be catching as I have really had to force myself to go fishing. I think I need a change of scenery or something to get the juices flowing again.
Fishing the same old places over and over, no matter how productive they are can make you feel a little stale.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes it happens to all of use at some time, many take a year off.
Or do what I do and focus on a different type of angling like fly fishing or sea fishing works wonders.

peterjg

Reaction score
For too long (decades) I mainly fished for big carp. First I wanted a 20, then a 30, then a 40, then a 50 - never did catch a 50 - not yet anyway. Quite frankly, although I was fishing a superb water, I lost my enthusiasm for carp, I had a tried and tested rig and sound baits and lots of time. I even had my own rowing boat and mooring on a carp lake.

Several years ago I reverted and restarted my early enthusiasm for roach fishing. I love trying to catch the big ones. Roach fishing is so varied, so interesting, trying to figure out methods and baits to catch decent roach and avoid other species. I've had a few twos from both lake and rivers, never even seen a three let alone caught one.

So my advice is to get out of the rut, try for something different that is not too easy.

bracket

Reaction score
I have never contracted that particular malaise myself. I think I was unknowingly vaccinated against it as a child, you know, like being circumcised. My weakness is quite the reverse. With me the "Well just one more run through, then that's it" tend to last another hour. I do heartily sympathise with anyone who does suffer from a lose of enthusiasm. Pete.

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I love my fishing but the almost constant rain is starting to get a bit of a chore .

I am supposed to be fishing a club comp tomorow evening but if the forcast is right thinking i will stay at home in the dry , you can only take so much rain then the s*d it switch get hit ..

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
I quite often have troughs that have little to do with angling, but affect the enthusiasm for it, all the same: a real sense of ennui that's hard to shake off. Even the prospect of a fishing trip isn't enough to rekindle the flame, but once I get there it's rare that a few hours watching a float doesn't turn the trough into the crest of a wave so it's usually worth fighting through the lethargy and forcing myself to get it together. Right now I haven't had the opportunity to fish for several weeks, but the (internal) motor's still runnin' so it's all good.:)

swizzle

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words. I don't know what has brought it on. I'm hoping it passes soon, because I have a load of plans that I want to come to fruition thus year. Perhaps now would be the best time to teach myself to trot!

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I think most of us feel like that at some stage. It will pass, just give it time and don't force yourself to go out when you don't want to. When I feel like that, I don't go fishing or even think about it for weeks/months, then I see or hear something that gets me fired up again. Angling media, magazines, TV etc are often the thing that get me going. Even if it lasts a long time, DON"T sell any tackle as you will probably regret it :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I am in the same boat at the moment and have been since the end of April - the last time I held a rod. From being out 3 /5 times a week all through winter and so looking forward to a lovely Spring and Summer sitting by water, I have failed to get past my current mental state that stops me from even looking at my tackle. Even the float making gear has be packed away..

It's a long standing thing with me and I won't bore you with the details ( again ) but at the moment I still cannot see a time when I will go again, and TBH I have given up trying......................

Later this week we are going to see our son and his young family in Bordeaux for some days ( he's coming from New Zealand ) and I'm really hoping this will act as a catalyst to get me back on the bank again - a total change and away from the house and all that goes with it, just for a while at least..

Personally, I suggest it is best to just take a break and have done with it - just do something completely different until the mo-jo returns. No point in giving yourself a hard time and thinking you MUST be there, because it's just not the case..........

I've even considered meeting up with a pal for a chat and a bite to eat, just to get back into, well, at least thinking about going, and hope this goes the trick....I've even thought of actually going fishing with someone to ' lighten up ' the occasion rather than the ' head on ' style of fishing I usually do alone.

I really do sympathise with all those in a similar situation..

ps I'm absolutely convinced being on FM ( where nobody knows me ) helps a lot. Always good to bounce things off fellow anglers.......' we are not alone ' type of thing

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Same here, regular periods of apathy. However, I never sell the gear, that morning always comes round again when I wake up and think-fancy a bit of fishing today. It may take a month or 12 months but it always comes back.

mikench

Reaction score
Nobody needs to be alone and sometimes it is instructive and enjoyable to just turn up at a venue without your tackle and to chat to other fisherman!

We all have our problems and a trouble shared is a trouble halved!