Lost enthusiasm

thecrow

Reaction score
ps I'm absolutely convinced being on FM ( where nobody knows me ) helps a lot. Always good to bounce things off fellow anglers.......' we are not alone ' type of thing

Got to be right, its almost like chatting to others on the bank and even though I have never met some of the members I feel as if they are friends.

devon stalker

Reaction score
for me " ive fished for the last 49 years since i was 6 years old" i have found that i have moved to different disciplines over the years as moods have changed, starting with plain old pleasure fishing to match,carp ,general specimen hunting sea beach,trout (stockie) trout (wild),salmon (spinning),salmon(fly ) ,seatrout ,sea beach,sea boat,big game ?(ish),back to salmon and seatrout and now due to life and health changes im going back to doing a bit of casual carp,tench and pike fishing ,i think its perfectly normal we all want change over time ,what i have found though is once the angling bug has got a hold it never full goes away ,it may take a while but it comes back ;) and when it does its like starting again with a shed load of enthusiasm ,just enjoy what you do when you do it and if the enjoyment is not there dont force it try something else. so all that waffle to say yup normal :D:thumbs:

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words. I don't know what has brought it on. I'm hoping it passes soon, because I have a load of plans that I want to come to fruition thus year. Perhaps now would be the best time to teach myself to trot!

Hey if it doesn't can have first call on any gear you are giving away:wh:eek:mg::D

rayner

Reaction score
Yes like most but it has never lasted too long.
Last autumn was a case in point, I didn't fish from October right through till the beginning of February but I got back into it like I had never stopped.

peterjg

Reaction score
I did on one occasion lose my enthusiasm for fishing - luckily it didn't last longer than a minute or two .....

john step

Reaction score
Got to be right, its almost like chatting to others on the bank and even though I have never met some of the members I feel as if they are friends.

Exactly right. Its very disappointing when a regular on FM just ups and goes. You wonder what happened.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
for me " ive fished for the last 49 years since i was 6 years old" i have found that i have moved to different disciplines over the years as moods have changed, starting with plain old pleasure fishing to match,carp ,general specimen hunting sea beach,trout (stockie) trout (wild),salmon (spinning),salmon(fly ) ,seatrout ,sea beach,sea boat,big game ?(ish),back to salmon and seatrout and now due to life and health changes im going back to doing a bit of casual carp,tench and pike fishing ,i think its perfectly normal we all want change over time ,what i have found though is once the angling bug has got a hold it never full goes away ,it may take a while but it comes back ;) and when it does its like starting again with a shed load of enthusiasm ,just enjoy what you do when you do it and if the enjoyment is not there dont force it try something else. so all that waffle to say yup normal :D:thumbs:

Well pointed out gjc, there are so many ways to vary it up if you get jaded, in fact I am thinking of a bit of beach at present and missing the coarse for a while. Dover Soles are turning up on my bit of local beach and you cant beat Dover Sole with a baked bean sauce or a nice fruity dab of HP brown.. If that doesn't wet the appetite there's no hope.:)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Fishing-what's that, I have been twice in 5 months ?

The reason, I had a really big heart attack at the end of January and we moved two days later.

So lots of hospital appointments, was told not to drive twice for 6 weeks each time and now I don't feel like going fishing.

But it will pass and come the Autumn and Perch Fishing, I'll be back.

Bob

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
It's perfectly natural for things to go a bit stale after such a long relationship with one hobby, Swizzle. Have you thought of spicing things up a bit on the river-bank? You're probably at a time of life when you can relax and safely experiment with new ideas and methods and there are some really novel items available nowadays to put that sparkle back into your fishing life.... :) :) :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One way too maintain an interest in angling is angling paraphernalia. Browsing a junk book shop today came across "An Artists Sporting Year" by Rodger McPhail. £2 and in excellent condition, what an artist, not far off Thornburn who in my opinion was one of the best Victorian wildlife/bird artists.
This book has some delightful fishing pictures as well.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Fishing-what's that, I have been twice in 5 months ?

The reason, I had a really big heart attack at the end of January and we moved two days later.

So lots of hospital appointments, was told not to drive twice for 6 weeks each time and now I don't feel like going fishing.

But it will pass and come the Autumn and Perch Fishing, I'll be back.

Bob

This one for you Bob from the above book :-

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your health issue Bob. Glad you are mending.
No"LIKE" on the post cos that wouldn't be quite right.

terry m

Reaction score
My winter fishing is pretty intensive, so by the time mid March comes along I am ready for the break.

I know we are all different, but the self imposed adherence to the 'old' closed season allows me to focus on other interests, and by June I am re-invigorated and ready to go.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, life is what it is and you just have to deal with the hand you are dealt.

Nice find Mark, that Perch on the cover is the reason I'm so fond of the species, roll on the autumn !!

Bob

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, life is what it is and you just have to deal with the hand you are dealt.

Nice find Mark, that Perch on the cover is the reason I'm so fond of the species, roll on the autumn !!

Bob
Lovely picture that Bob, shame I cannot give ti a larger view, here is another one to wet your appetite if you like Pike as well:-

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I must say I have never had the problem that i dont want to go fishing, but they have been a few times that something has come along and i haven't been able to go.

A few years ago my son Tom had paid for me to join him and friends on a week long fishing trip to France, it wasn't a Birthday or Christmas present, just a thanks Dad for everything. I do a few carp weekends with the boys now and then, but going to France was never on my radar, so it was a great surprise.

I didn't get to go, as we found out my Wife had Cancer, and the trip was right in the middle of her treatment.

Another of Toms friends went in my place. Treatment over and the Wife has been given the all clear for the third time :D

There are something's in life that are far more important at times.

Dennis Martin

Reaction score
Have any of you gents ever suffered from a complete loss of enthusiasm from angling before? I am experiencing my first. I am finding it really difficult to summon the drive to go, still or running water, it doesn't matter. I drove up to Throop the other day, got out of the motor, took a wander down to the bank and saw the river up, bringing a load of $hit down with it, last few years it wouldn't have deterred me. I would have found a slack to dangle in, or worst case scenario visit a stillwater. But I just got in the car and buggered off home to Lymington. This is usually my favourite time of the year for angling, normally Tench are the target. I love it. I just seem to find it a pain at the moment. I guess it doesn't help when the last few trips I have had have been a disaster. So have you suffered and how did you get over it?

I've got four grand kids I can lend you for a day, they'll sort you out, you would be glad to have a days fishing afterwards.