How an apology can go a long way.

dicky123

Reaction score
Just brought a Korum deluxe chair from an on-line tackle shop. The chair arrived with parts missing. The shop offered to replace the part, but said this happens a lot with Preston, and that it was their responsibility.

So I dropped a short line to Preston, and got a simple, 'Return it to the shop and we'll look at it and replace any missing parts.
''Forget the fact that I'll have to re-pack the bloody thing, get it sorted with the shop for collection, then buy another.''

Nothing about 'Oh were sorry to hear about that, don't worry it will get sorted'.

Last time I ever buy from Preston.

Also brought a rod (Daiwa Waggler) from another shop recently. It was delayed by one day, but the chap from the shop mailed then called me telling me so, and apologising for the days delay. What a difference in customer service.

What Preston seem to forget is, I can spend my money with anyone, I really don't have to touch them again.

They spend countless amounts of money on advertising, sponsorship's, You-Tube stars, when the simple thing of looking after existing customers is forgotten. It's not easy to get people to switch brands once they have found a good one, ( I like Daiwa ) crazy way to treat people.

Glad that's off my chest, sorry about the rant guys.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In that situation I would have told them to send another chair and the courier can pick the other up when they drop it off.
If they wouldn't do that then I would have said that i'd send it back for a full ( including post costs) refund.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Heres a tip I have used to good effect in the past if dissatisfied.

" I belong to 3 of the biggest fishing forums in the UK. I also post a blog on Facebok with over 2000 followers. I intend to post on all of them about the service you are providing"

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
In my opinion this is another example of why it's not best to buy expensive items of tackle online.
If you buy it from your local tackle shop you can check it first, in the case of a chair, even sit on it...In most cases shops will readily match online prices too.
If the item you require isn't in stock and you order it through the shop, then it's delivered to the shop damaged or incomplete it is down to the shop to put right.
And of course it keeps valuable tackle shops open as well...

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree with Simon ( Mr Crabtree ) in that it's always worth trying the tackle shops first off....They don't always respond ( in my experience ) but I have managed to get prices pretty close to those online if one includes postage.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the' bottle ' to ask if prices can be matched and when I've mentioned this to some I know they come out with " I don't like to ask " and I suggest many folk are like this - more than one might realise ?

Personally, I just go to the shop ( NOT on the phone ! ) and say " I'm thinking of buying X " and produce some sort of print - out showing the price offered. I ALWAYS offer to place an order on the spot if they can get close. However, I wouldn't go to a shop that didn't know me................

As Simon says, tackle shops need the business and are well aware they need to be flexible around prices - simple as that really !

Well worth a try, though..

robertroach

Reaction score
Graham is spot on. When I retired I got a part time job with a national company selling products direct to the public. They were scared stiff of adverse comments on social media, so much so they set up a team to deal with it. They would have done almost anything to appease a customer to avoid it.
I am sure you will find if you make a very direct threat to go public you will get a result instantly.

rayner

Reaction score
In my opinion this is another example of why it's not best to buy expensive items of tackle online.
If you buy it from your local tackle shop you can check it first, in the case of a chair, even sit on it...In most cases shops will readily match online prices too.
If the item you require isn't in stock and you order it through the shop, then it's delivered to the shop damaged or incomplete it is down to the shop to put right.
And of course it keeps valuable tackle shops open as well...

There has been some good advice offered above but the advice from peter crabtree is excellent.
I totally agree, it would solve all problems. Is saving a few quid that important.
Of course some folk my have trouble finding a tackle shop close by, in that case I have sympathy.
First choice should always be to buy local, buying local the tackle shop makes a few quid but assumes all the risk.

dicky123

Reaction score
It's a great idea, and many people live close to a tackle shop, fine for them. My nearest is maybe a hours drive, plus doubtful they would have the stock, second price!

Price example . Recent buy Daiwa rod Internet £199 shop £245 with maybe a small discount.

Another Daiwa rod Internet £109 shop £130 or more.

Yesterday. umbrella Internet £28 shop .£45 to £48.

Shimano reel £115 Internet. shop £150.

I've been buying a lot of gear over the last two weeks, replacing some stuff I'd sold on EBay. Had I not used the Internet I could not have brought it all. Most of the above is simply shopping around for last item deals. When a big shop has just one rod left before re-ordering.

I'd love to support a local shop, but it closed in my town, the guy just did not have any people's skills, a bit like Preston.

Thanks for the support.

sagalout

Reaction score
Maybe you are being hard on Preston, they are a wholesaler and sell at a price to retailers so retailers make a profit and do all the customer facing, Preston are not set up to deal with Joe Public that's why they only sell to shops.

It doesn't matter how far away the shop is your contract is with them and if there is a problem they are responsible. The shop you bought from is wrong to say it is Preston's responsibility, it isn't, Preston have not sold you anything, the shop is responsible and is also responsible for postage both ways.