Rare fish

silvers

Reaction score
Burbot were considered extinct in UK when I first read about them in the. 1970s ... I've not seen anything to contradict that.

There were Bitterling in the Lancaster canal when we fished s national in the early 90s. We caught plenty on joker. Very dainty and pretty fish.

There are loads of dace in the Great Ouse, Warks Avon, Severn and Wye. They seem to have a lifecycle of about 5 years in terms of prolific shoals in those rivers. I've seen a couple of proliferations and subsequent droughts where they almost disappear from the river.
I've only ever caught one miller's thumb by angling, and no loach or lamprey.

Proper silver bream anyone? We're the Trent fish of 30 years ago silvers or hybrids? They were certainly prolific .... Don't see them these days.

bracket

Reaction score
Proper silver bream anyone? We're the Trent fish of 30 years ago silvers or hybrids? They were certainly prolific .... Don't see them these days.

Back in the 1970/80's I caught shed loads of "skimmers" from thre Trent. The majority were immature bream, with a sprinkling of roach/bream hybrids. Don't think I have ever had a silver bream. I could be wrong, doubt it though. Pete.

swizzle

Reaction score

There are silver bream in the lower Dorset Stour, not that I have never caught one, but I have been reliably informed of that. I'd love to catch one though.

laguna

Reaction score
Back in the 1970/80's I caught shed loads of "skimmers" from thre Trent. The majority were immature bream, with a sprinkling of roach/bream hybrids. Don't think I have ever had a silver bream. I could be wrong, doubt it though. Pete.

Not in the rivers that I'm aware of, but there are far too many silver bream in our lakes round here - You are more than welcome to take some! :D

They are no less slimy that the common O' garden variety! horrible things each to their own eh?

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Burbot were considered extinct in UK when I first read about them in the. 1970s ... I've not seen anything to contradict that.
Thats as I understand it. There was a thread about them on here last year sometime. It was said they are predators, offer good sport and make good eating. I suppose if they were to be reintroduced - they would no doubt quickly disappear again!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
One summer in the mid-sixties, I used to visit Knebworth, and dip-netted newts and ten-spined sticklebacks at a tiny pond there. Never had any reason to go back, so I've no idea if they're still there. Or even if the pond is still there.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I always laugh when I read about silver bream. Over the years they have been incredibly abundant yet the majority of those catching them seem determined to call them 'hybrids'. Time after time you read a river report on the Thames, Trent, Nene etc and read of catches of hybrids when they are actually silver bream. In recent years I've had silver bream from the Thames and Dorset Stour but in the past I've had plenty from the Nene, Witham, Trent, Bristol Avon and some of the Ringwood pits.

silvers

Reaction score
Mark - Silver Bream is the one that I'm really not confident on.

in the 80s and early 90s some of the Trent locals called them "Gustas" and they definitely weren't skimmers as they had a red tinge to the fins and were broader across the back than any skimmer I've seen. They didn't look like other roach/bream hybrids though and never seemed to grow to any real size (4 to 6 oz tops really).

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark - Silver Bream is the one that I'm really not confident on.

in the 80s and early 90s some of the Trent locals called them "Gustas" and they definitely weren't skimmers as they had a red tinge to the fins and were broader across the back than any skimmer I've seen. They didn't look like other roach/bream hybrids though and never seemed to grow to any real size (4 to 6 oz tops really).

Almost certainly they were silver bream. Just to confuse things very occasionally you do get silver bream hybrids; I've had silver bream x rudd, silver bream x roach and silver bream x bronze bream. For some reason silver bream, unlike bronze bream skimmers, like lots of hemp.