Angling Trust Angry at ‘Shambolic’ EA

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
This makes me f........ angry! Not much does, but this is mad. Consulting non-paying canoeists about flow but not license paying anglers. WTF!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Should be re-named The Environment Destruction Agency, do they really know what they are doing, makes you wonder.

Cant see the people of Abingdon letting them f..k up The Abbey Stream, where are the listed buildings people?

Oh and the turbines will enhance the natural environment, ohh right, thats ok then, I love looking at turbines, suppose they will be painted pink?

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
They're Government run and will do whatever they see fit to make money.

They think that by introducing water turbines they are helping the environment, this may well be true, but at what cost to the rest of the environment.

It's about time that anglers took a stand, stop paying for a rod license for 1 year until they change their attitude and start to listen more to what anglers have to say.

You can still fish without a rod license in Scotland oh and you can go see fishing too.

For as long as we keep paying them they still hold all the cards ... it's really that simple.

Now let me make myself totally clear, i am not saying that people should fish illegally (without a Rod License) but, they should stop paying for one and look for alternatives.

The EA would sh1t themselves if no one bought a Rod license in 2013 and submitted a big petition as to why. I bet the Big Named boys won't back that idea (what no fishing for a year) but hey it would open some eyes i think.

Reaction score
If. hypothetically, none of us bought a license next year then what could the EA do? They could not afford to take us all to court - they need the revenue from our licenses to prosecute the 'few' that they do now.

Won't happen though will it. Unfortunatley, the majority of anglers havn't a clue that this thing is going on.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I would like to have seen some balance in the article like a full statement from the EA.

tabloid journalism for me.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The EA do a lot of good work and have a lot of committed staff, but they always go soft in the face of any business interests. Maybe the Chief Executive is looking for some company directorships in his retirement or a place in the Lords. Nothing new there. Look at how the water companies were allowed to achieve excessive levels of authorised abstraction and the softly softly approach to bring rivers back from it. They are an arm of government and government also sides with business - whatever the party involved.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have sent the following to who I think is spokeperson for the project

Paul

Do you realise your Abingdon project is getting a lot of flak in the fishing media about the impact of the project on the environment.

Is there a statement or some web site that gives your views on that concern ?

For myself I don't know enough about the proposed project to comment.

Many thanks

and best of luck

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Has angling got a plan in place to tackle (excuse pun) this concern head on?

What are ATr and others doing to make sure that we get heard?

What would we as anglers be prepared to do to ensure we get heard?

I know that their a plenty more intellectual, influential and better connected anglers out there than me, so truly what can be done?
If they can't do nothing, then what chance do we have of influencing what happens to our Sport / Hobby / Pastime.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Well I had a very nice reply from a guy named Paul who is part of the project

Hi Benny,

At present we don’t have a blog but it is something we are looking into. Could you forward some links to the fishing media you mention and I will endeavour to take a look and answer any questions that I can, in the meantime we do have a web site, Home - Abingdon Hydro

Which I will do.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Well I had a very nice reply from a guy named Paul who is part of the project

Hi Benny,

At present we don’t have a blog but it is something we are looking into. Could you forward some links to the fishing media you mention and I will endeavour to take a look and answer any questions that I can, in the meantime we do have a web site, Home - Abingdon Hydro

Which I will do.

and my reply was

Many thanks for your reply Paul

The original article was from here Angling Trust Angry at ‘Shambolic’ EA and the resultant thread I contributed to was here http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/fm-news-feature-comments/307116-angling-trust-angry-shambolica-ea.html but really its a current hot topic on a few fishing forums.

My online name is BennyGesserit - I would warn about fishing forums they are pretty opinionated places.

Once again thanks for your time.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Well I have very little knowledge of river ecology but more info on the link I gave details how at least some of the angling concerns have been addressed.

What do you think ?

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
What more can we expect from an organisation (the EA) with the Chair it has. Smith - I know nothing about angling and have no intentions of finding out!
Just one of many from the pool of the merry-go-round of professional chairpersons.

Whilst I note the ATr Chair post will be voluntary.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I take it, it's a private venture then, they have to get permission from the EA to go ahead?

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
aint abingdon the one that has a patron, who is also a minister, and looks after angling in the house of commons, I think his name is benyon

one of the problems with all this hydropower, is that the local communities that are pushing for it, are only hearing the proposers views, if you want them to hear anglers views, you gotta do it yourself, letters to local papers, go to their meetings with your own printed info to hand out, and put signs up where the turbines are to be sited

if it truly is a no brainer, then anglers views will win the argument easily, it amazes me how local groups are so unwilling to agree to an enviromental assessment study, surely you need to know what lives somewhere, before you change it

bennygesserit

Reaction score
aint abingdon the one that has a patron, who is also a minister, and looks after angling in the house of commons, I think his name is benyon

one of the problems with all this hydropower, is that the local communities that are pushing for it, are only hearing the proposers views, if you want them to hear anglers views, you gotta do it yourself, letters to local papers, go to their meetings with your own printed info to hand out, and put signs up where the turbines are to be sited

if it truly is a no brainer, then anglers views will win the argument easily, it amazes me how local groups are so unwilling to agree to an enviromental assessment study, surely you need to know what lives somewhere, before you change it

You can email the people behind the scheme .

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
No mention then about the 100's of fish each of these screws are legally allowed to kill?? On rivers such as the Tyne this equates to an awful amount of lost income to the local economy. That alone will probably out-way any 'benefit' they might have.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
No mention then about the 100's of fish each of these screws are legally allowed to kill?? On rivers such as the Tyne this equates to an awful amount of lost income to the local economy. That alone will probably out-way any 'benefit' they might have.

I thought they were of sufficient size to allow fish to swim through it

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
if you want them to hear anglers views, you gotta do it yourself, letters to local papers, go to their meetings with your own printed info to hand out,
That Jim, is the problem. No organisation, one place for the Govt to consult, means we would get ignored. They won't deal with individuals or a load of fragmented groups, we'd get slaughtered. The ATr is our only hope of getting heard and it needs more support. Still only a very small minority of us are members. We get what we deserve. Ignored.

The EA IS the Government, it is a Govt dept of which angling is a very small part. It puts Govt policy into action. Build Hydro boys, they will do it. Wind farms, let's get going. It's part of the statistical game to reduce our carbon foot print. The calculation is that a few fish is a small political price to pay. After all these starnge people who spend their spare time sitting in the rain by rivers can't even the ar*ed to cough up £25 to defend themselves.

To give the fisheries people more clout, they need a strong Angling body to lobby them. and create political pressure. I'm afraid that is modern Britain.

Stu

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The organisation behind this is anxious to hear anglers views , in fact Paul emailed me back within an hour.

I am not sure what people are actually objecting to.