Bait Boat Musings

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not a follower of football as such my father was and he used to take me when I was a nipper he even took me to a cup final once and I left at half time to buy bait for the club trip the next day he was not happy. Anyway I can remember goal keepers wearing gloves then perhaps they have all ways wore them just like wicket keepers in cricket or anglers in the winter to keep their hands warm . I do not see the connection with a blind goal keeper unless he also had cold hands.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I am not a follower of football as such my father was and he used to take me when I was a nipper he even took me to a cup final once and I left at half time to buy bait for the club trip the next day he was not happy. Anyway I can remember goal keepers wearing gloves then perhaps they have all ways wore them just like wicket keepers in cricket or anglers in the winter to keep their hands warm . I do not see the connection with a blind goal keeper unless he also had cold hands.

??????????

cg74

Reaction score
Tiinker at his finest; doesn't respond to the main parts of a post, just tries to pick holes in the smallest details....

I wrote: "Going with" - When I should've written: 'Following on from' :eek:mg:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
To The Blanker:That's just it! How does a passing mini-ship NOT disturb a nearby angler? Merely the sight of such an alien craft would constitute massive disturbance for many.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
:)

It depends what they are used for and where and to what ends !!

I wanted to fish a Weirpool, which was behind a private house, the house did not have access to this Weirpool but a 70 yard fenced off Garden with over hanging tree's prevented me from fishing this pool.

What do you do ?

The answer was simple-- a Bait Boat ;)

Bob

richiekelly

Reaction score
To The Blanker:That's just it! How does a passing mini-ship NOT disturb a nearby angler? Merely the sight of such an alien craft would constitute massive disturbance for many.

No more than a flock of geese paddling about above them, I have had takes off carp when the boat I had was above my rig so that would suggest that it does not disturb them,

I used to fish a water where the majority of the carp were at range, I couldn't reach them with the rods/reels I had at the time other anglers could and caught, I never thought they had an unfair advantage over me only that they had the equipment suitable for that water and I didn't, bait boats can be misused and I have seen it happen the last instance resulted in the angler being expelled from the syndicate but that wasn't the fault of the boat but the angler and the way he used it. as far as I am concerned if it isn't interfering with me or putting fish in danger then carry on.

This thread is a prime example of why the AT will never have the amount of members it should, anglers spending to much time criticising other anglers instead of getting on with their own fishing and all pulling together as a sport.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

:)

It depends what they are used for and where and to what ends !!

I wanted to fish a Weirpool, which was behind a private house, the house did not have access to this Weirpool but a 70 yard fenced off Garden with over hanging tree's prevented me from fishing this pool.

What do you do ?

The answer was simple-- a Bait Boat ;)

Bob

Did you catch Bob?

pidgergj

Reaction score
each to their own i say. i worry about my own fishing, not bothered what anybody else does.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tiinker at his finest; doesn't respond to the main parts of a post, just tries to pick holes in the smallest details....

I wrote: "Going with" - When I should've written: 'Following on from' :eek:mg:

Attention to detail is all important if you are looking for the right answer. If you do not make yourself clear and understood you will not get the right answer. Answering questions on forums can be more like a fencing match than the real thing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've yet to see any coherent reasoning for the intense dislike for baitboats. I can well understand people not wishing to use them, I don't either. I can understand people being irritated by them if eedjits using them put fish in danger or cross lines and poach swims. However, inconsiderate eejits can do both without using a bait boat. If it happens, it's not the fault of the bait boat.

Seems to me that it comes down to this vague and irrational notion of the use of a bit boat somehow being cheating. Who exactly is being cheated escapes me completely. If not that, then, as Geoff hinted at, it's a case of the green eyed monster. I find either quite bemusing.

Don't use one, if that is your want. I fail to see why not wanting to use one should preclude allowing those that don't share that view from using one. It looks to be little more than spite.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I've yet to see any coherent reasoning for the intense dislike for baitboats. I can well understand people not wishing to use them, I don't either. I can understand people being irritated by them if eedjits using them put fish in danger or cross lines and poach swims. However, inconsiderate eejits can do both without using a bait boat. If it happens, it's not the fault of the bait boat.

Seems to me that it comes down to this vague and irrational notion of the use of a bit boat somehow being cheating. Who exactly is being cheated escapes me completely. If not that, then, as Geoff hinted at, it's a case of the green eyed monster. I find either quite bemusing.

Don't use one, if that is your want. I fail to see why not wanting to use one should preclude allowing those that don't share that view from using one. It looks to be little more than spite.

I think a lot of what you say is very true but I know some think a bait boat or a fish finder devalues a catch and that besides having the know how about where to put your bait you must also be able to put the bait there yourself too.

Not my view at all but you can see why some traditionalists hold these views , commercials are bad , don't fish the close season etc etc

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think a lot of what you say is very true but I know some think a bait boat or a fish finder devalues a catch and that besides having the know how about where to put your bait you must also be able to put the bait there yourself too.

Not my view at all but you can see why some traditionalists hold these views , commercials are bad , don't fish the close season etc etc

That's fine, if folks believe that, they don't have to use them. It certainly doesn't mean their views should be imposed on others. The desire to do so smacks of sour grapes.

The closest argument to this one I've seen in fishing is that over long poles. Some would like to see a maximum length limit imposed. It is a little different in match circles where a level playing field may be desireable. However, outside of match fishing, the argument holds little water. If those arguing for such an imposition are not match anglers, it usually comes down to them not being able to either handle or afford a long pole.

Full on carp matches don't allow the use of bait boats, they are attemping to level the playing field, fair enough. However, how far should they go to level this playing field? Should they ban expensive rods and reels that allow for much longer casting to appease those that can't afford or use such kit?

cg74

Reaction score
Attention to detail is all important if you are looking for the right answer. If you do not make yourself clear and understood you will not get the right answer. Answering questions on forums can be more like a fencing match than the real thing.

As I said earlier: "Tiinker at his finest; doesn't respond to the main parts of a post, just tries to pick holes in the smallest details...."

And you've just proved my point!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nothing I can do about how other people fish no more than they can about the way I fish. They cannot fish the waters that I chose to fish because bait boats are not allowed that is why I fish them. So at the end of the day they do what they like and so do I and neither of us interfere with each other. Having what I think is a mischievous dream seems to annoy people who want to make a big issue of it. Are people not allowed to voice a opinion without a inquisition and getting hot under the collar:eek:mg:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Nothing I can do about how other people fish no more than they can about the way I fish. They cannot fish the waters that I chose to fish because bait boats are not allowed that is why I fish them. So at the end of the day they do what they like and so do I and neither of us interfere with each other. Having what I think is a mischievous dream seems to annoy people who want to make a big issue of it. Are people not allowed to voice a opinion without a inquisition and getting hot under the collar:eek:mg:

I havent seen anyone getting hot under the collar or an inquisition on this thread, all I have seen is anglers that are prepared to allow other anglers to fish as they wish to posting their opinions on something you posted, like it or not fishing tackle moves on it seems some anglers do not which is fine if they want to handicap themselves for some reason but please don't seek to handicap others who wish to move with the times.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you need to read my last post again and think about it and then look at your own post and read that and think why you wrote it.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
See there you go again telling people to do what you think they should do.

I said I think . I did not tell you to do anything get it right not up tight. It makes no difference to me how you fish. You are the one who is making a issue of it not me. I have a opinion about bait boats is that not allowed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bait Boats, these must be one of the most emotive subjects on a fishing site.

Now, most people who know me will already know that in many things I am a real traditionalist inasmuch as i love to use split cane rods and old centre pin reels.

That said, I am just as happy sat behind a trio of Carp rod with bite alarms sat on a rod pod, or for that matter with 14m of long pole fishing a short line.

So, my view on bait boats is really quite simple, and that is that they are nothing more than a "tool" in the armory of the modern day carp angler.
To me they are no better or worse than a bite alarm or a big pit reel, just another accessory.

Mine is a Viper Mk3 with an echo sounder and I use it mainly because I simply cannot afford to spend days and days on a lake with my marker rod and spod rod, and on some venues it can get me into those tight spots in a swim where casting to could be problematical or worse still could leave a broken line and baited rig in the trees.

I don't use it on all venues as on some they are not allowed, and I try not to cause any distrubance to others either, in fact you get a lot less disturbance with a bait boat than you would be continually casting a marker rod and then spodding.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I said I think . I did not tell you to do anything get it right not up tight. It makes no difference to me how you fish. You are the one who is making a issue of it not me. I have a opinion about bait boats is that not allowed.

No if we are to be pedantic you actually said "I think you need" think all you like but I do what I want not what you think I need to do.

Can I ask you why you are so against bait boats?

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Bait Boats, these must be one of the most emotive subjects on a fishing site.

Now, most people who know me will already know that in many things I am a real traditionalist inasmuch as i love to use split cane rods and old centre pin reels.

That said, I am just as happy sat behind a trio of Carp rod with bite alarms sat on a rod pod, or for that matter with 14m of long pole fishing a short line.

So, my view on bait boats is really quite simple, and that is that they are nothing more than a "tool" in the armory of the modern day carp angler.
To me they are no better or worse than a bite alarm or a big pit reel, just another accessory.

Mine is a Viper Mk3 with an echo sounder and I use it mainly because I simply cannot afford to spend days and days on a lake with my marker rod and spod rod, and on some venues it can get me into those tight spots in a swim where casting to could be problematical or worse still could leave a broken line and baited rig in the trees.

I don't use it on all venues as on some they are not allowed, and I try not to cause any distrubance to others either, in fact you get a lot less disturbance with a bait boat than you would be continually casting a marker rod and then spodding.

A very sensible post.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I can well visualise when a bait boat would be useful - essential even - and to get a bait "where no bait has been before" as Captain Kirk might say, would pay a big dividend in many situations.

So i did a quick search of the Viper - looks great. Then i saw the price tag!! (£650+ excluding solar panels or wind turbine). For that money i would be looking for a fine scale model of the HMS Bounty, with a WW2 Rocket launcher thrown in.

I think I may need to use a bit of ply wood on a length of string.