baits that don't work for you

peterjg

Reaction score
What an interesting thread this is. I am really surprised by the results on this thread of sweetcorn, it is a good bait (usually!). I have no faith in chickpeas and have only caught bream on black eyed beans. I had no faith in tiger nuts but a few years ago I started to seriously use them and caught some big carp on them. Until last season I was not a great fan of pellets but I have now caught some reasonable roach on 8 and 10mm carp pellets from a stretch of the river Kennet which is rarely fished so obviously they are not used to them.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'll say this again, as it is worth repeating; Some of my best still water roach have fallen to chick peas, but not the standard jobbies found in supermarkets or indeed those soaked and prepared at home.
No, the best I have found are 'Curried chickpeas' (@45p/tin) from Indian grocer shops of which we have several in south Bucks. Best strained and frozen a couple of times to help soften them a tad and impaled on a fine wire hook through the pointy bit. The juice can be added to crumb....

Apologies to the OP; I got carried away and this should come under a 'Baits that do work for me' thread

peterjg

Reaction score
Tee-Cee: thanks for the info regarding chickpeas. I will follow your advice and try them out for roach. Do you regard them as an all-season bait and are the tinned ones the same size as the chickpeas which are home cooked?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Tend to be a tad smaller, but they do vary (probably don't have the minimum size limit of Waitrose!) so hook sizes can do the same, to suit.

Certainly a warmer weather bait, BUT I have had good fish going into early winter as well. Might I suggest you persevere with them as they can take time to become effective. I usually break up a few as loose feed.........

Hope they work for you..

xenon

Reaction score
I'll say this again, as it is worth repeating; Some of my best still water roach have fallen to chick peas, but not the standard jobbies found in supermarkets or indeed those soaked and prepared at home.
No, the best I have found are 'Curried chickpeas' (@45p/tin) from Indian grocer shops of which we have several in south Bucks. Best strained and frozen a couple of times to help soften them a tad and impaled on a fine wire hook through the pointy bit. The juice can be added to crumb....

Apologies to the OP; I got carried away and this should come under a 'Baits that do work for me' thread

not to worry-I'm all ears for stuff that works!

B

binka

I'm another who doesn't hold much faith in artificial baits despite acknowledging they work.

I will use them if the circumstances dictate but would much prefer live or natural, to me a rubber maggot is an expensive bait stop.

Sweetcorn is another, I've had some really good catches with it and for some unfathomable reason it's something that I just don't like using very often :confused:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Like many others here I've never caught a damned thing on sweetcorn.

My current fave bait is Sonubaits mini semi-buoyant oozing boilies in Pineapple flavour. Fished on a Banjo feeder with some crumb based groundabit they work well for Tench, Carp, Roach and Bream.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
f4l..........As a matter of interest, what size do you use for the roach, are they of any size and how do you fish them? Not something I would think of using, but if you catch roach on them I would give them a whirl.
Is that too many questions (I ask myself....)

mikench

Reaction score
Like many others here I've never caught a damned thing on sweetcorn.

My current fave bait is Sonubaits mini semi-buoyant oozing boilies in Pineapple flavour. Fished on a Banjo feeder with some crumb based groundabit they work well for Tench, Carp, Roach and Bream.

Now don't start giving me ideas!:) You have used that tench word! Oozing boilie sounds unpleasant but I am willing to try anything for a tench:rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
I'm another who doesn't hold much faith in artificial baits despite acknowledging they work.

I will use them if the circumstances dictate but would much prefer live or natural, to me a rubber maggot is an expensive bait stop.

Sweetcorn is another, I've had some really good catches with it and for some unfathomable reason it's something that I just don't like using very often :confused:

Sweetcorn for me is also a puzzler. I have had some good catches on it but a lot of the time it gets ignored. What I have found is that if I put a piece on the hook then snip half of it away it gets more roach bites.
Perhaps size does matter.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
f4l..........As a matter of interest, what size do you use for the roach, are they of any size and how do you fish them? Not something I would think of using, but if you catch roach on them I would give them a whirl.
Is that too many questions (I ask myself....)

They are 8mm if I recall correctly. I normally use them on a Guru bayonet (twisted piece of strong wire) with a size 14. I've never used them on a river mind you. They've been successful for me on 'natural' stillwaters. (One lake in particular is only fished by me as far as I'm aware.) To date they've caught me Roach to 1lb 8oz and Bream to 4lb 6oz. I'll refrain from mentioning any more Tench for Mikes sake.

mikench

Reaction score
Merci beaucoup mon ami! I will try them with those guru hooks as I have a pack as yet unused!

maceo

Reaction score
Sweet corn is brilliant in winter so long as you feed nothing and just use skins.
I never use it any other time it's useless as a bait.
One small tin of corn can last me right through the cold weather, just stick it in the freezer.

That's the exact and complete opposite of my experience. Excellent bait in the summer months and catch plenty of decent roach on it. One after another sometimes.

It's especially good at that time because the bleak leave it alone - a lot of other baits (maggots, bread etc) are unfishable in those months because they just get destroyed by bleak the moment they hit the water.

By contrast, once the first frost has hit, I can't get so much as a nibble on it.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Same for me, on the Thames in the summer corns a must for the roach as the bleak muller the tares

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have found sweetcorn works both summer and winter however, I have also found it is a very hit and miss bait at any time. It just does not work on quite a few occasions. The people I have found do best with it are those that will chuck in a whole tin and just sit on it all day, they use nothing else and just are very patient, invariably something turns up and often very good fish. But you do need to be prepared to wait for long spells of nothing happening; something I am not good at.
I think many anglers just try it and get fed up without a bite for an hour or two and think it is useless but fished that way and wait could reward in one or two or maybe more very good fish. I have seen this particularly happen with tench on some I have observed. Apologies Mike, the "tench" word just slipped in.

https://fishingweathergb.yolasite.com/