bigger fish !!

R

RobD

Have you seen the video of him playing that fish?

He had almost no control over it and the fish took round a margin tree, a mate had to go in and swim round the bush to retreive his line so that he could continue the fight...also he had the fish in March when there is no weed in the place and virtually no other anglers (I know that because I've fished there), if he'd hooked that fish at any other time of year it would have been game over, especially now...

A lot offish were landed from a boat anywayso no one was particuly bothered if carp were weeded up....I was even told when I first started not to worry stopping the fish, if they go into the weed we'll get the boat out.

Tackle like that was only used because people still thought that they had to to get runs, it's been proved otherwise for years now...up to you mate but I'd rather give JJ ideas on how to have half a chance myself, up to you JJ /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Ive had 40's on 12lb line so 20's on 6lb line is perfectly ok

I only use 12lb line because Ive a chance of 30+ where I fish

there are places around here where carp go to 38lb and its a hole in the ground with no snags or weed and fishing with 6lb straight through would not worry me

anyone want fish playing lessons ?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

RobD

I've read some rot in my time but this/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

So using 6lb line would not worry you, so do you use it?

A hole in the ground with no snags and no weed, sounds like carp heaven...I'd guess there's never another angler there either so no worries your virtually uncontolled fish running through their lines....nice, very funny too /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
Rob, I think it's upto an anglers integrity, I used 6lb line on a local lake i fish, I had2- 30s and 3 just under last year with 8-10lb mainline,6lb hooklinkso long as there's no snags and you know what your doing i see no reason to go much heavier , unless your having problems with snags, abrasion, etc.

At that time most other anglers were not catching, all the fish came out in 6 daytime trips, so just show's what a difference fishing finer can make.

R

Roto Fryer

i fish the main river in the center of bangkok with six pound line and often bring in 15-20 lb fish. it certainly isnt easy but it is a sure test of your angling and 99% of the time i win. if it was down to 90% i would step it up. most of the locals use sea rods and 30+lb line and laugh at me with my 14ft match rod canterpin and six pound line and laugh even more when they see me trotting on the river. they soon stop laughing when i catch and they do not and almost start crying when what they want for dinner is put back in the water!

C

Cakey

well there is no talking to some people................time to move on

how you going Spiders

Morespiders

Reaction score
I do agree with you Rob, In Jimbo's case not having the experience he should step up.

Hi Cakes yes im going.

F

Frothey

i'd rather people snapped a hooklength than dragged fish in using heavy line..... maybe thats why fish have parrot mouths these days - funny you never saw that years ago.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Better safe than sorry is my learned through experience the hardwaymotto.You should see my chubbing gear. but a soft rod is usedto prevent the above.

dean?o

Reaction score
i think i would switch to a 10lb - 12lb braid if i ws being snapped up like that. it`s interesting reading different views but you have to go with fish safety first. ALL anglers at some point have been snapped off, it happens. interestingly, many waters now have a ruling of a minimum breaking strain. i think it`s as much down to the anglers ability and lets not forget, some carp in some waters seem to fight harder than other lakes so maybe at times as anglers we need to adapt to these different water + fish charecteristics.

C

Cakey

we all agree that in this case Jimbo should step up thats the main thing

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks eveyone, after reading your threads i am going to use heavier line and hooklink, if i was on a relatively snag free lake I thinkI would be ok howI am, but the lakeI am talking about is pretty bad for getting caught up. It isn't fished a lot and a lot of the time i am the only one down there, I reckon because they see so liitle of boilies and pellets and other baits going in that they're just not wary of anything really.

Please remember (maybe i haven't said) over the last two seasons I have been teaching myself and am just beggining to catch carpthat are over 14lbso it is unknown territory for me. Up until now I have either hair rigged a 14mm boilie or giant corn with a size 10 hook, I want to use a bigger boilie, maybe an 18mm or even 20mm, what size hook (I don't like the look of a sz 6) and does it mean a longer hair ?

F

Frothey

you'll still get single figure figure fish on double28mm boilies! as for hook size, check the size of the hook compared to the mouth, a size two would get lost in there.....

R

Roto Fryer

long hairs or short hairs see how you get on /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif you will decide which you prefer over time!