Blanking

denzinho

Reaction score
Ok decided to completely go against the dead bait as it just smells and I dont like the smell of "dead" fish. going to pop to the local tackle shop and pick up a couple of lures and spinners.... will post results if still interested.

Went for 2 hours as that's all the spare time I had and It wasn't bad... I caught a Perch first cast on a size 5 spinner yet the perch was around 7oz greedy fella. I moved every 20 minutes and found a nice little area where I could see lots of fish activity. I Tried everything but nothing was happening for the 20 minutes I was there on spinners.

I decided to give it another 10 minutes with my trusty SG dirty roach jelly lure, I didnt catch any pike but one of around 4-5lb took my lure right as I was going to lift it from the water. I was buzzing after that because I'd at least seen one!. Going again Friday but this time!!! I will be using deadbaits and maggots. I'm feeling confident this will work, and maybe should of been less naive and just went with deads in the first place :eek:

rubio

Reaction score
Went for couple of hours myself with the company of my nephew. He'd never caught a pike and wanted to. He managed to get one twice the size of mine at around 1lb. My own specimen was a 'killer from the egg'. Barely a palm full of death.
Magic bait? Livies deads and lures all failed but the tiniest of redworms meant for dace were gobbled up. They never read the right info fish!

denzinho

Reaction score
Ok managed to get out today for around 4 hours. Maybe get out again tomorrow hopefully.

I bought some sprats as there cheap and so am I :p and also bought 1/2 a pint of maggots as advised.

It went well I guess, the last swim where I had a take on a lure in a previous session was the one that saw my float go under. I fished all the previous swims but nothing which was unfortunate. What a fight! really enjoyed it, I was using a 3/0 single hook as I cannot deal with trebles there a nightmare and can get messy.

okppvq.jpg

The hook fell out in the net which simplified unhooking but I checked the guy over anyhow for rigs etc

2qizafo.jpg

I reckon around 3-4lb, no big girl by any means but being relatively new to pike fishing I'm a happy chappy.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and wisdom, I have learnt so much in the time I have been posting on here. What can I say.....Your awesome! :thumbs:

rubio

Reaction score
Small for sure but nicely marked and every inch a killer.