Boot sale rod buy

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Twnety odd years ago when I lived on the Cheshire / Shropshire border, our local pub changed hands. There was a locked room which nobody had ever known of a key for.

The new owner was a delightful American, an ex Serviceman and a real Anglophile. He broke the door down with little damage. The room contained first hand evidence that Prince Rupert's chaps had stayed there, probably en route to Chester.

Within were four Cavalier hats, quite a few clay pipes, a broken flintlock pistol and several rat corpses with pistol ball holes in them.

The whole lot went to a museum - top chap. :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What delightful neighbours you have. :D

The same lady recently gave me a lawn mower which she said had stopped working, she'd run the lead over, and a pressure washer which she said was leaking, it had a split in the o ring on the hose connector.
Both items were fixed and offered back but she had already been shopping so I ended up keeping them as both were better than the ones I already had. The lady in question is 86, bright as a button, still does all her own shopping, cooking cleaning and gardening and likes to pop round on a summer evening to watch my fish and share a bottle of wine and a gossip with my Mrs. I hope I last as long as her but somehow I don't think it will happen.

greenie62

Reaction score
Just bought a rod from a boot sale for a fiver. A Browning express match feeder 3300 carbon 10ft. Anyone know anything about these rods ?
Returning to the start of this thread:
Well Ian,
What can you tell us about the rod now? Have you tried it out yet? Was it a good buy or is it a 'goodbye'? - and bound for fleabay/boot sale? ;)
Tight lines!

iain t

Reaction score
Turned into a interesting post in the end. I've tried the rod on two sessions. The rod came with 2 main sections, one that holds quiver tips and the other has a what looks and feels like a "Avon" rod with a spliced tip. In feeder mode it seems to work better with the 2.5oz quiver. The blank seems too stiff for the lighter quivers. With the "Avon" section it seemed to work better hauling in the 2 small Barbel i caught whilst trotting on the Arun. Although could be 3 ft longer. I've got a feeling this is a mix and match rod made from 2 rods but for the money i may use it for a stalking rod with the "Avon" section.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Update on my neibour, 86 year old Jean. She popped her head over the fence to say hello this morning as my wife and I were having brunch by the pond. We were a little surprised to see her as the fence is eight foot high from her side, she was up the ladder painting them. The woman is a marvel.