Braided lines for trotting

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I came across a thread on Maggotdrowners where a fella's measured and strength-tested a goodly selection of the current "best" lines. Match Team came in quite a bit lower than the stated breaking strains and was worst on test by a mile.

I like it and have found it to be the best low diameter line i've ever used.

I'd be interested to see how maggotdrowner man tested it...he may be telling porkies.

robtherake

Reaction score
I like it and have found it to be the best low diameter line i've ever used.

I'd be interested to see how maggotdrowner man tested it...he may be telling porkies.

Typically, I can't find the bloody thread, I was searching for info on various lines and came across it by accident. He measured both diameter (micrometer) and breaking strain in what looked to be an exhaustive comparative test - real "man on a mission" stuff.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Typically, I can't find the bloody thread, I was searching for info on various lines and came across it by accident. He measured both diameter (micrometer) and breaking strain in what looked to be an exhaustive comparative test - real "man on a mission" stuff.:D

One thing I have learned Rob, "don't believe everything you hear". I'd rather make up my own mind unless i'm getting info from someone I know/think I can rely on, and in reality there are very few of them ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should the sensor for my anticipated pin be clear?:)

That would depend on the B/S your after using. I think you might struggle to get sensor in clear below 8lb. Normal coloured sensor is fine Mike....for me at least. If you want a clear line then silstar match or prestons power are both clear so can be added as hooklengths. In all honesty the colour of bog standard sensor hasn't stopped me catching fish.

Last edited:

lutra

Reaction score
The cons out weighed the pros for me.

Its unforgiving on fine hooklengths, bumps more fish and you'll need a softer rod which makes netting good fish a nightmare in a flow. Also the ones i tried sat on the surface, not in it and just straightened the mend out of my line when i tried to hold back when fishing beyond the rod tip.

Tried it and went back to mono.

mikench

Reaction score
I was thinking 6lb Ian! If i get a pin i will attempt trotting over the holiday!

trotter2

Reaction score
Tried braid I don't like it, grates through the guides and you don't get a smooth trott with light floats.
Pick up was good but you bump more fish due to the low stretch.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking 6lb Ian! If i get a pin i will attempt trotting over the holiday!

I use 6lb and 4lb and if I think it's needed I use a low diameter bottom of either of the two I mentioned earlier. I prefer to fish straight through though and even 6lb doesn't usually deter the fish from biting.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Like what, Jerry ? Carp dominate everything nowadays. I can get a 14 to 7lb line no bother but you try findingsmall hooks to fine line......or a fine line to tie your own. Not so easy.

I mainly use DrennanFF 3.2 (2lb or 3lb hooklink) Skip if trotting for anything other than barbel (then double it with a different rod). I've taken plenty of chub to over 6lb without any problems...............Preston Reflo for hook links or more often now pre-tied Kamasan/Drennan hooks in the 18s or smaller sizes.

kenpm

Reaction score
I have 2 "pins" with braid on and one with nylon and use the one that suits the day.
The original braid loaded was 2lb Fireline crystal which was horrible the first few times I used it but its settled down now and trots fine. It is stronger than 2lb BS but weakens when you knot it so I use about 5 foot of flourocarbon as a leader tied so the braid is in a loop with the flourocarbon whipped around it which maintains the strength of the braid
Used with nylon or sometimes flourocarbon hook lengths from 0.10 to 0.14 sometimes 0.16 I have yet to break anything other than a hooklength on a snag.
As I found the Fireline quite good I thought I would try a low diameter true braid such as those used mostly for feeder fishing so I loaded some Daiwa J Braid 8 strand that is supposed to be 0.10 diameter but I only got to use it twice so far although it seemed fine with the same terminal set up as the Fireline.
I can trot a float as far as I can see it maybe 50 yards,and hook fish with a lift of the rod giving instant contact so I think its well worth a trial but some people never get on with braid as they dont like the direct feel it gives but I have been using it off and on for 20 odd years so I understand its a case of horses for courses and not always right for every situation.