Casters

laguna

Reaction score
Sorry Chris,
:)Had to chuckle at this one! - preserve a live bait for 3 years by killing it :eek: - s'pose it depends on what you mean by preserving - my initial reaction was that if you want to preserve its status as living, then to kill it off seems a bit counter-productive!

I guess you maybe should think about a reword along the lines of:
To preserve a bait in as good a condition as if it were alive - then use "Kill with Krill™" from LAGUNA​

Good Luck :thumbs:

Erm no not really, to preserve is the correct terminology. Preserve life is what you mean (I think)? preserve by prolonging usefulness, preserve food by freezing, preserve a dead specimen in formaldehyde etc. has the same meaning in this context. As any maggot will tell you.... drowning in liquid krill is the best way to go! ;)

There was an old guy, now passed away. He used to preserver casters in isinglass said they would keep for over 6 months or more like eggs. He had chickens and preserved eggs the same way during the 2nd world war.
Otherwise known as liquid glass (silica gel), and yes for eggs also useful for refractory materials and as a starter chemical for silicone, strong glue etc very good stuff.

robtherake

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've used isinglass for fining wines in the past. I thought silica gel was called water glass; are they one and the same? Also pretty sure that isinglass is from fish skins, or similar, whereas silica gel is man-made, is it not?

You've bloody confused me now!:confused:

laguna

Reaction score
Yes your right! different stuff, both used as finings for wine and beers, either together or interchangeably. My Brother is in Belfast as it happens for a stag do this weekend and has already sampled several glasses of the dark stuff - currently fined with Sturgeon isinglass (lucky boy) but not for long. Apparently Guinness are looking to make the switch to appease vegans.

trotter2

Reaction score
The method with the pellet pump works well, I have managed to keep them for a couple of weeks and still catch fish on them. Don't think I would do it for a big match but pleasure fishing no problem.

rayner

Reaction score
I use quite a lot of casters when puller fishing, if I were to discard them after every session it would become too costly for a Yorkshireman as it's my statutory right to be tight fisted.
Both pellet pump or freezing works a dream for me. I think lots of anglers believe fresh bait is best, I'm not saying they're wrong. I do believe however the fish couldn't care less. I've even caught fish on sour bait especially dirty Carp in the margin.

laguna

Reaction score
for a Yorkshireman as it's my statutory right to be tight fisted.
Too right!

The trouble with maggots and casters is metamorphosis. They chrysalis and change rapidly so time is of the essence.
Freezing will keep them but causes cellular damage and the shells rupture.

Fresh is not necessarily best as far as most food baits are concerned. My first choice is normally slightly off, musty mouldy, smelly (safe identifiable moulds that grow on cheese, bread, Continental sausages) followed by predigested with enzymes.. over ripe bait. Fresh does not have the same appeal.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
So the question is Luguna does washing your casters make them less effective
or putting maggots in fresh bran reduce there effectiveness ?

laguna

Reaction score
So the question is Luguna does washing your casters make them less effective
or putting maggots in fresh bran reduce there effectiveness ?

Quite the opposite, on both counts.
Washing casters removes any stuck on maize/bran and separates the floaters out. Adding maize/bran keeps maggots dry and absorbs ammonia which would otherwise repel fish.

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi Luguna

I thought you would say that, I was just interested if your answer would differ to the commonly excepted practice.

I have sometimes gone to great lengths to ensure my pints of maggots is as clean as can be. Regularly sieving and applying fresh sawdust before a match.

I even used to wash them under a tap in a stocking and applying fresh bran to dry them. In the belief it would remove all the ammonia smell.

But I cannot say with any confidence it has made any difference? I have caught match winning bags of fish with clean and dirty maggots.

But I do think if it gives you confidence what ever it is, you should do it.

Just out of interest Luguna what would you apply as an additive to maggots
and can you honesty say it will work?

laguna

Reaction score
Hi Luguna

I thought you would say that, I was just interested if your answer would differ to the commonly excepted practice.

I have sometimes gone to great lengths to ensure my pints of maggots is as clean as can be. Regularly sieving and applying fresh sawdust before a match.

I even used to wash them under a tap in a stocking and applying fresh bran to dry them. In the belief it would remove all the ammonia smell.

But I cannot say with any confidence it has made any difference? I have caught match winning bags of fish with clean and dirty maggots.

But I do think if it gives you confidence what ever it is, you should do it.

Just out of interest Luguna what would you apply as an additive to maggots
and can you honesty say it will work?

Good tip that with the stocking yours or the wife's? :D Let you into a little secret... I've worn tights when I was in the army , definitely keeps the nethers warm!!!! :wh

For Maggots I would recommend two products that I know works extremely well and will put a lot more fish on the bank. I don't often use maggots but when I do I use both of these;

1. Krill powder or concentrated liquid Krill as mentioned before (Kill with Krill)
2. L-amino React (for maggot and worm)

The liquid is thick as treacle and will kill and keep any left over maggots by drowning em without the associated cellular damage from freezing. Krilled dead maggots are deadly imo.
The Krill powder is very fine and high quality predigested (KPH) and is hygroscopic so will stick to your fingers if you touch it. It won't kill the maggots like a liquid, it simply sticks to em so, depending how much you add (50g is more than enough per pint), you could use it as stickymag for example? or use in a pole cup as a slow steady feed release?
One of the easiest ways is to put some of the powder into a small bag using a teaspoon and drop a handful of maggots in. Let em wriggle around in it for a while and they will coat themselves and you can test which they prefer on the day.

Adding L-amino REACT to maggots coats them in the first-limiting amino acid and is designed to keep fish occupied for longer periods. But be careful, the sods crawl up the sides of the bait box when wet without a lid on! :D
I'm just a general all-rounder but I know a lot of match anglers love the stuff, Mark Brewster match and Suffolk County coach especially has had some excellent results over the past couple of years. Personally rarely use maggots myself these days but I wouldn't dream of fishing without this additive now as its proven to work. REACT is a liquid supplied in 10ml dropper bottles. It coats the maggots (or worms, there's also a version for corn too), and absorbs into their skin, we've observed them up close drinking it too. :eek: Significantly maggots like it, so unlikely to excrete ammonia when coated with it. :thumbs:

Both available on our website mate.
L-amino REACT™, LAGUNA Fishing Products
PURE SAC™ (Straight Fishmeal & Protein) powders, LAGUNA Fishing Products

dannyboy1

Reaction score
Largly in agreement with Sam and others above I don't like freezing cadtors as a whole. however i have to say I have won matches on frozern Castors! So they can work and work well.

The trick I find with freezing castors is

1) freeze them fresh, in other words don't wait about if you have a pint left over and you won't be fishing for a couple of weeks freeze them ASAP

2) freeze them in water, I find this is the best way cover them in freash water in abait tub and freeze them

3) change the water as soon as it thaws out, or they start to smell and turn black

4) don't refreeze them

5) use them on still water, this maybe just me?? but I would never use frozern castors on a river. I'm just not confident and if your not confident your f####d confidence is key in all fishing

That's my advice anyway