Center pin line guide

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was going to use it for trotting. Loaded some line on it put a 3 SSG shot on it, stood on my garage roof and dropped to the line. Even with the shot on the floor, it was still letting out line with the momentum. A very scientific test you would agree

iain, i'm not running your reel down bud....the reason I said it won't make a very good trotting reel is because it'll take you an age to wind back in due to the spool being small'ish and the line lay pillars being low set in it so it will be very slow on line retrieval if you get my meaning.
I hope it works for you but if it doesn't you haven't lost 'ewt and you could use it for margin fishing on stillwaters :).

peterjg

Reaction score
Tigger: I take exception to your earlier post - doubtless you will deny it but I don't suppose that you have even tried having the line coming from the top of the spool, the done thing or traditional way is not always the best. Tigger, of course, is our very own self appointed pin expert?

Ostriches and heads in sand come to mind .....

trotter2

Reaction score
I much prefir line of the top ,made the change years ago when I realised you get less tangles around the reel foot of the reel.
Agree you have to wind backwards but after a couple of trips out you don't even have to think about it .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger: I take exception to your earlier post - doubtless you will deny it but I don't suppose that you have even tried having the line coming from the top of the spool, the done thing or traditional way is not always the best. Tigger, of course, is our very own self appointed pin expert?

Ostriches and heads in sand come to mind .....

How can you take exception to my post, it was a joke and I made it obvious it was!

By the way I have tried the line off the top and off the bottom works best for me...are you gonn'a take exception at that n'all ffs.

flightliner

Reaction score
I much prefir line of the top ,made the change years ago when I realised you get less tangles around the reel foot of the reel.
Agree you have to wind backwards but after a couple of trips out you don't even have to think about it .

Its like bbb said, personal choice, but like yourself I have always fished with my line coming off the top.
It makes more sense to me as this way the line is running in a dead straight direction towards and thro the guides/runners.
Coming from the bottom of the reel produces an angle therefore more friction at the point where it meets the butt ring that tho fairly miniscule will still slow down to a degree.
Learning my angling in a match angling mad city at a time when most used the pin in fenland and the trent speed was a vital factor in line and fish retrieve to achieve some success, it was fairly standard for many if not most of the best of these guys to have line off the top."batting back" helped enormously here and watching an angler doing this with line off the bottom always looks less efficiant (note I dont say it is, just looks) to my eyes but each to their own I guess.
just a thought, I sometimes think its a bit of a north south thing???.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Line off the top or bottom? And which end do you eat your boiled egg from? I'm not really qualified to say - I only use pins for stillwater fish that fight a bit, like tench, with a long rod in the margins - but I like the off-the-top-reel-in-backwards set up. Because a running fish is pulling the drum away from my thumb and it feels much better to smoothly brake it that way than by pressing your thumb on a drum that's pushing towards you, where it tend to judder and jump a bit. Hope that makes sense.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I’ve mentioned, I don’t believe there is a right way of line coming off a pin and my personal preference is from the bottom. However, for those who dabble in the dark art of line from the top;), if you get an over run with line coming from the top of the pin won’t the line hit the bottom of the cork handle and drop to entangle the reel? From the bottom of the pin over runs will usually just fall downwards towards the ground.

Not that I’ve ever had an over run of course.................:wh

peterjg

Reaction score
Tigger: you rose to the bait like a newly stocked rainbow. Sorry I couldn't resist it so I do apologise. "Tigger", I wouldn't want you to think I was taking the "Poo" .....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger: you rose to the bait like a newly stocked rainbow. Sorry I couldn't resist it so I do apologise. "Tigger", I wouldn't want you to think I was taking the "Poo" .....

I take exception at that ! :w

iain t

Reaction score
Grateful for all your input on my reel. Come to the conclusion there is no right or wrong way to have the line running to the first ring. I saw an old video on YouTube about a chap showing how to do the Nottingham cast. He had the line coming from the top but another video showed the line coming from the bottom. I decided to give it a try with the line guard facing me i.e back to front left handed. If i feel happy with it this way i will just remove the guard and leave the clicker lever at the front. Hopefully, the line won't get wrapped around it. I may even file this down so it just protrudes a few millimetres. For £2.50 i don't mind if i ****** it up.