Centre Pin - Barbel / Bigger Fish

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One off the most famous barbel anglers of our time Ford Crouch used nothing but a match aerial for barbel fishing.
If it wast good enought for Fred, us lot should have no problems.:thumbs::)

There ya go.....;).

Keith M

Reaction score
It sounds good Mike, I have thought about one myself but for the amount of time I actually use a closed faced reel these days i've just stuck to the 501. I still have an original 506 but the drag is pretty dire and I have lost fish because of it's poor operation.

I've never used the drag on my Abu 506 anyway, I use it with the anti-reverse pawl removed (which is a very simple operation) and use the backwind for any fish that decides to pull back; which has always been a common mod amongst original 506 users back in the 60's and 70's

I use spools made for the 506M on my 506 which has chenille liners around the backs of them, which prevents finer lines from going behind the spools. The heaviest line that I use on my 506 is usually only around the 4lb mark anyway.

I still occasionally use my 506 if it gets a bit too blustery to use one of my pins and I'm trotting for chub roach and dace; although I don't think I'd be really happy using my 506 if I was trotting after bigger and more powerful fish like Barbel or Carp using heavier line, in which case I will tend to step up to a different reel altogether like one of my stradics or Diawa match reels

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never use the drag on my Abu 506 anyway, I use it with the anti-reverse pawl removed (which is a very simple operation) and use the backwind for any fish that decides to pull back which has always been common mod amongst original 506 users.

I use spools made for the 506M on my 506 which has the chenille around the back of them which prevents finer lines from going behind the spool.
The heaviest line that I use on my 506 is usually only around 4lb or 5lb max anyway.

I still occasionally use my 506 if it gets a bit too blustery to use my pin and when I'm targeting chub roach or dace; although I don't think I'd be really happy using it if I was after Barbel.

Keith

I prefer to keep things original and so chose to leave the anti reverse in place in my 506. If i'm honest I can't see the point of buying a 506 and removing the anti reverse to enable it to be back wound when you can get a 501 that was designed specifically for back winding. The handle of the 501 has a drag built on it to vary the pressure needed to allow it to backwind, this enables you to let the reel backwind on it's own just the same as a drag works on the spool of a normal fixed spool reel.