Centre pins and line

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, do you treat the line at all to make it float?

I recently spooled up a centrepin with 8lb sensor in the vain hope that I was going to connect with some barbel. Never managed to hook anything with it but it was really hard going - partly because it seemed like the line wanted to sink all the time which messed things up a bit at any distance, but also because the line itself seemed to behave really badly on the reel, lots of bedding in and small tangles. I took it off and put 5lb bayer perlon on and it's now behaving much better....

Incidentally, I'm a massive fan of daiwa sensor, it's the line I use for all my waggler and bottom fishing.

Jim, I never put anything on my line to make it float as it floats just fine straight off the spool. People say it floats when new but starts to sink easier after a couple of sessions, I wouldn't know to be honest as I change it after each outing. Although after saying that I do leave my line on my fixed spool reels that I use for still water float fishing and even after twenty outings it sill floats and I have to sink it after casting out unless i's perfectly still with no tow or wind.
One problem you might have with sensor is that it's not easily visible on the surface so quite often it's possible that it is floating but you can't see it and so assume it's sunk...maybe?
You say you used 8lb Jim, I very rarely go above 6lb, maybe the 8lb doesn't float quite so well?...I really can't remember. If the river hasn't got too many snags so allowing you to let the fish run a little I would advise you to try 6lb or even 4lb as you might find it floats better for you.

I'm curious what make of reel your using?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Reel is a TF Gear Classic with the line guard - so not the very top end by any means but not the bottom either.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reel is a TF Gear Classic with the line guard - so not the very top end by any means but not the bottom either.

The reason I asked was because of your line dig problem, I was expecting you to say a match aerial or a similar reel with line lay pillars.
Strange how you got line dig on a solid drum, sounds like you'd wound it on to slackly/loosely. If you had wound it on to loosely it can go under itself and cause all kinds of aggro. If that happens you can trott it all off and wind it back through your finger and thumb or you can nick your hook into something and walk it of, keep it tight to the hook and wind it back on s you walk back to your hook.

mikench

Reaction score
Is a line guard necessary either for the novice or experienced ? If you wanted to buy just one centre pin to potentially last you a lifetime and had never done it before, which would you buy?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is a line guard necessary either for the novice or experienced ? If you wanted to buy just one centre pin to potentially last you a lifetime and had never done it before, which would you buy?

double post

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

A line guard isn't a necessity but I'd recommend a reel with a removable bickerdyke line guard which gives you the option of either to suite conditions. In really windy conditions I often use a reel with a guard as it helps to stop the line being blown round the back of the spool.

trotter2

Reaction score
Lots of quality centrepins will last a lifetime if you look after it. Unlike fixed spool reels there is very few moving parts to wear out.
Regarding a line guard its more difficult to say if you will need one, only time will tell.
A reel with a removable one could be your best option if your concerned.
Most of times I never use one unless its very windy. But some use them all the time.
Difficult to say mate.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that many long term users of centrepins forget their first forays into pin use. They are entirely correct when they suggest that line guards aren't essential, but forget just how many tangles they may have had in less than ideal conditions, or before they had a certain level of competence. I'd suggest that a line guard is a benefit for a beginner, especially a beginner that's going to learn on their own. I have pins with them and pins without. Those that have them are removable and pretty unobtrusive in use. In less than ideal conditions they are much more likely to be my reel of choice on the day.

I'd suggest that, to a learner, a line guard can make life just that little bit easier. When they've learned enough, or are looking to expand on basic use and techniques, they may become a hinderance. A reel with a removable guard can be no bad thing.

As far as line goes, it's no different to the choices we make for any other reel. The precise use and personal preference are the prime drivers. I'd choose different lines for different methods based on my own preferences.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Do all pins give you the option of having the line spooling off from either the top or the bottom and what difference does it make? Is one preferable to the other?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do all pins give you the option of having the line spooling off from either the top or the bottom and what difference does it make? Is one preferable to the other?

Pretty much all pins can be used either way, though I can think of one discontinued model that can't.

Top or bottom is a matter of preference. The claimed positive for off the top is that it is less prone to tangles. The downside is that you'll be winding the wrong way on the retrieve. Depending on the design of the ratchet, you may also find that it's a little weaker with the spool going the "wrong" way.

I tried off the top. I didn't have any issues bar it feeling totally unnatural to backwind to retrieve. The benefits weren't enough for me to get over that downside.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As stated, top or bottom is a matter of preference. However, if you wish to 'Wally' cast at a later date you'll find that 'off the bottom' and no line guard will be the best way to go.............

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'd echo exactly what Sam said re top vs bottom. Using a pin has enough intricacies of it's own to learn about without the need to make it more difficult on yourself at the start.

My advice would be to get a cheapish one with a removable line guard and spool it so the line comes off the bottom to begin with. And then when you start using it, try to select swims where a gentle swing off the rod top will be all the cast you need to put you in to the run you want to fish.

And then just try to enjoy it. It's brilliant fun!!

old school

Reaction score
On an old post someone suggests removing line from a centre pin after every session! Is this common practice and necessary! This could be the one thing that would really put me off! I never like putting line on a reel in the first place!

Dont be put of using a centrepin mate,when you catch your first decent fish on a pin you will know what i mean,happy days