Centrepins suitable for a leftie?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Like yourself I prefer a bush and pin to a bearing reel but I use both as much as one another. I honestly can't say which is my favourite "reel" though as it constantly changes back and forth .
Some days when i'm in "good form" I can cast well and everything goes smoothly, I just can't get in a tangle etc...the reel used on those days goes straight to the top of my favourites list..."crackin' reel that".
Other days, "off days", I get over runs on casts, line round the reel foot and handles, when i'm putting bait on the hook my line gets wrapped round the bloody rod tip and so the reel I use on those "bad form" days will go down my list of favourites "sh!te that reel", rods sh!te n'all lol.

That post has just made me feel so much better about my inept attempts at fishing with a pin Ian, many thanks :)

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
thanks @RobtheRake for that info. Very useful. Are the TFG reels only available online I wonder or do some tackle shops hold them? I might have a jaunt out to ringwood tackle/avon tackle this weekend for a look.

robtherake

Reaction score
thanks @RobtheRake for that info. Very useful. Are the TFG reels only available online I wonder or do some tackle shops hold them? I might have a jaunt out to ringwood tackle/avon tackle this weekend for a look.

Shame you're not local to me or you'd have been welcome to borrow mine for a week or three. If you end up having to buy online it's hard to imagine that you'll be at all disappointed: it's a lot of reel for the money and far better in all respects than the usual budget pins, IMHO. Buy with confidence, as they say :)

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Had a browse round ringwood tackle and avon angling, very helpful guy/gal behind the counter in both shops. Ringwood tackle didnt have the tfg but showed me the okuma sheffield. Lovely bit of kit that worked as well L/H as R/H. Unfortunately was £225, bit less with a bit of a haggle probably, but way too much for me to consider just to try out a 'pin.

Avon had a "TFG" ad in the window so I was hopeful they might have the TFG pin in stock but alas not. A Young's John Wilson heritage looked perfect but that was £325 so, er, no.
So I think online is the way to go with the TFG classic.
Of course, soon as I decided that and went back to amazon the price had somehow gone from £42 to £50. Bah.

@RobtheRake (thanks for the offer shame Im not local! :) ) One or two of the reviews of the TFG mention the "spring" breaking on the reel. Have you noticed a weakness? I assume this spring is something to do with the ratchet.

Cheers all!

robtherake

Reaction score
Had a browse round ringwood tackle and avon angling, very helpful guy/gal behind the counter in both shops. Ringwood tackle didnt have the tfg but showed me the okuma sheffield. Lovely bit of kit that worked as well L/H as R/H. Unfortunately was £225, bit less with a bit of a haggle probably, but way too much for me to consider just to try out a 'pin.

Avon had a "TFG" ad in the window so I was hopeful they might have the TFG pin in stock but alas not. A Young's John Wilson heritage looked perfect but that was £325 so, er, no.
So I think online is the way to go with the TFG classic.
Of course, soon as I decided that and went back to amazon the price had somehow gone from £42 to £50. Bah.

@RobtheRake (thanks for the offer shame Im not local! :) ) One or two of the reviews of the TFG mention the "spring" breaking on the reel. Have you noticed a weakness? I assume this spring is something to do with the ratchet.

Cheers all!

I've been hammering it all summer long with double-figure margin carp without any issues at all. Not sure about the spares situation with these reels, but the spring has to be the cheapest part to replace anyway, if it went.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Without trying too hard - climaxtackle.com: Okuma Sheffield Centre Pin Reel

However, the Aventa Pro is the same reel in different clothing. It's also a fair chunk cheaper.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Okuma-Aventa-VT-1002-Centre-pin-reel-/151828559061?hash=item2359aff4d5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Okuma-Aventa-VT1002-Centre-Pin-Reel-/400989437215?hash=item5d5cd53d1f

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree the Aventa pro has the same bearings as the Sheffield it works just as well.
In fact out of the two I prefer the Aventa pro the handles are set in more towards the centre of the reel.
With the Sheffield the handles are nearer the edge of the spool and if you shoot a big wallis cast and wallop your thumb you will know why the Aventa is better Lol :)

Those prices are too heavy mate shop around a bit :thumbs: