Circle hooks for pike fishing

aebitim

Reaction score
LOL...the hook is deffo barbless, infact I still have it in my waistcoat pocket. Why on earth would I cover up the barb ?
No machine marks either by the way :eek:mg:.

And barb's hold fast they don't go deeper unless forced.

Fair enough, just an unfortunate photo and maybe I should have gone to specsavers. If a barbed hook doesnt penetrate under pressure you wouldnt hook many fish methinks, and even if you did you wouldnt land many without applying force. The issue of barbs is devisive, on a heavily fished barbel water I know it is not unusual to remove more than 1 hook from a fish, sometimes 3 or 4, 1 in 20 or so of the removed hooks is barbless the rest are barbed, the situation you show is not that uncommon, though yours is a bad case, the bent hooks [barbed or barbless] which are designed to turn under the slightest pressure to increase hookups seem to be most damaging when left in fish

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fair enough, just an unfortunate photo and maybe I should have gone to specsavers. If a barbed hook doesnt penetrate under pressure you wouldnt hook many fish methinks, and even if you did you wouldnt land many without applying force. The issue of barbs is devisive, on a heavily fished barbel water I know it is not unusual to remove more than 1 hook from a fish, sometimes 3 or 4, 1 in 20 or so of the removed hooks is barbless the rest are barbed, the situation you show is not that uncommon, though yours is a bad case, the bent hooks [barbed or barbless] which are designed to turn under the slightest pressure to increase hookups seem to be most damaging when left in fish

What beats me is how these numptys keep being broken off in the first place !

They need to learn how to tie a knot or better still keep off the bank :w :w;).

mick b

Reaction score
tigger;1314461They need to learn how to tie a knot[/QUOTE said:
It has always amazed me how many anglers cannot tie more than one or two very basic angling knots.

How many times is a loop knot used when a grinner or uni would be neater and far stronger?

Just try getting more than one or two anglers to demonstrate their knot tying skills in public is nigh on impossible Ive found.

Its the single most neglected angling skill by a million miles :eek:mg:

cg74

Reaction score
It has always amazed me how many anglers cannot tie more than one or two very basic angling knots.

How many times is a loop knot used when a grinner or uni would be neater and far stronger?

Just try getting more than one or two anglers to demonstrate their knot tying skills in public is nigh on impossible Ive found.

Its the single most neglected angling skill by a million miles :eek:mg:

It must be the fisheries you frequent, as I don't see much knot tying ineptitude where I fish.

PS, What are grinner and uni knots used for?

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
It must be the fisheries you frequent, as I don't see much knot tying ineptitude where I fish.

PS, What are grinner and uni knots used for?

Good question, happy to contribute to [yet another] knot thread should I start it or will you?

As a sea, coarse and game fisher I use knots that suit the application, happy to discuss line properties and ways to get the best out of line etc etc.

My experience tells me that no matter how hard one tries one is going to lose the odd fish, this is a learning curve and at the end of the day there is only one knot to use and that is the one that your experience tells you is the best one to use, with the the lines that you are using in a specific situation with specific tackle with a specific bait presentation etc etc