Do you dislike any of your gear?

daniel121

Reaction score
I used to drool over that rod when I saw it in the Shakespere catalogue but could not afford it and got the 14 Alpha match instead...which I liked allot ...orange blank that the light shone through ! ....I still have it in the shed somewhere....sounds like I got a lucky break there !:D

Yes mate, it was not a cheap rod. Certainly was not my best buy let's put it that way.

Funny thing is it was a droolable rod, I clearly remember buying it. It's still in almost mint condition today - shame really I cannot put my finger on why I didn't like it but.....I didn't:(

Philip

Reaction score
Wasnt the Boron the one indorsed by Tom Pickering ? ...they made a 14 foot version of it too. I always remember thinking "Oooo Boron" sounded so space age and left "Carbon" miles behind ! ...and there was me stuck with the Alpha and fibre glass ! ...I felt distinctly 3rd rate ! :D

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
An early Daiwa reel (the early Datsun of it's day c1963ish) that was so bad I even went back to the 300’s..............:wh

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Another vote for the Reuben Heaton flyweight scales - the zeroing issue. I have ended up buying various old Avons instead which are superb - my favourite being the 8Ib set by 1/4 oz for targeting monster Roach or Chub (in my dreams).

Other disappointment was Sundridge G1 bite alarms. Not very sensitive and the light-up bobbins were too heavy (rather they were too light so i could add weight as needed). They also came unplugged from the unit every time you struck - so had to be careful not to lose them into the lake or a nearby bush. Fortunately I am rarely a bite alarm user so i haven't missed them since they entered long term storage somewhere in the shed.

robtherake

Reaction score
I loved my Shakey Boron, though the tips were fragile and I was on the 3rd one by the time it was sold on. The long handle was the only thing I didn't like about it.