Drennan Acolyte 13ft Ultra

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea definitely Ian, I agree there about the Drennan,

Yea mate that I suppose is the only down side of two piece rods but in reality it's no different to a std carp rod,

I see what yer saying probably meaning about me traveling on the trains etc but the way that I look at it mate is that me fixed landing net pole is about the same length and I just simply use a couple or three post office rubber bands to hold rod in cloth bag and net handle together,

At one time I used to rove with a small quiver sling but once on the river the sling will now be empty and I've then gotta carry the blimmin thing, so nowadays I never bother with a holdall or quiver sling no more.......simples :D

Speak soon

You've got more faith in your handling skills than me, i'd have to have mine in a tube and hide it on the bank. I'm a bit clumsy and worse still when i'm purposely trying to be careful !
To be honest even my 11ft rods feel a pain in the harris being used to three sectional 13 footers.

My m8 has a Trabaccu rod and he loves it, I forget what model it is but it's a 13footerand super slim and strong. I remember he got it from ebay for about 30 quid and he said it had a very expensive rrp and could only be sourced in Italy. I've waggled it and is does feel class.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
You've got more faith in your handling skills than me, i'd have to have mine in a tube and hide it on the bank. I'm a bit clumsy and worse still when i'm purposely trying to be careful !
To be honest even my 11ft rods feel a pain in the harris being used to three sectional 13 footers.

My m8 has a Trabaccu rod and he loves it, I forget what model it is but it's a 13footerand super slim and strong. I remember he got it from ebay for about 30 quid and he said it had a very expensive rrp and could only be sourced in Italy. I've waggled it and is does feel class.

That's given me an idea Ian, I might decide to use a tube meself and then hide somewhere in the bushes on the bank :D

Sounds like yer mates rod might be the sygnum same as mine, real pucka rods,

Yea they are quite a dear rod but I give me mate who owns me local tackle shop in the town about £50 from memory as I had other stuff aswell and always get big discounts :thumbs:

Richox12

Reaction score
For the life of me I simply can't understand why on erf Drennan has an acolyte rod that is two section plus a stupid little handle bit :eek:
What's that all about....surly it'd be better just to have the three even length section and be done with it, like they've and most other manufacturers have always done instead of faffling around with stupid ideas that don't prove or come to nothing :rolleyes: I really think they need to go back to the drawing board on that one,
It also don't particularly look good for the image of Drennan,
I seriously thought they'd come up with something better than that and considering the price,

Certainly ain't my cuppa tea :rolleyes:

I have a 13' two piece Trabbuco sygnum float rod that is an awsum bit of kit :D

And being honest I'm now starting think that I much prefer the two piece rods ;)

Personally I think the construction is brilliant. I take rods made up and can simply fold once rather than a Z and have to fold twice. It’s easier, quicker and less prone to tangles or making a mess of things either at home setting up or on the bank packing away.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Personally I think the construction is brilliant. I take rods made up and can simply fold once rather than a Z and have to fold twice. It’s easier, quicker and less prone to tangles or making a mess of things either at home setting up or on the bank packing away.

Good for you...but for us simple types that don't want to carry their rods made up its a right royal PITA. I bought an IM8 Classic and its a cracking rod, I don't have a particular issue about the length of the 2 main sections or the detachable screw in butt but I have a major issue with how to transport the damned thing if I don't want to carry it in the stupid bag thing it came in which fits nothing because of the humph where the reel goes. Without a reel attached it doesn't balance [tip heavy] and with/without a reel it wont go in [ or on] any quiver I own other than on its own. I never, ever go out carrying just one rod so that's just peachy thank you so much.... and as I've said before where do the bank sticks & landing net handle go ?

Why doesn't anybody do parallel sleeves or give miserable Old Gits like me the option of buying it in a plain old fit anything cloth rod bag. ?

I really do detest this current fashion of carrying rods already made up. I see no advantage whatsoever in doing so and wont be persuaded otherwise so don't even try.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
My son uses a Drennan 13ft Tench & Specimen Float rod (with a short handle extension) which he folds ready made up in its rod sleeve. When I go with him with my 3 piece Drennan Tench rod (not made up) I am always still farting around ages after he has started fishing.

He has nearly always caught several fish by the time I have setup my 3 piece Tench rod because he is ready to cast in less than a minute, wheras I am still farting around threading my line or setting up my float/shot/hook while trying not to scare every fish near me a the same time Lol.

I'm a great fan of 2 piece made up float rods and even if they do need to have a short handle extension. I have never liked 3 piece made up rods, not least because they don't fit into a rod sleeve (they are too short) Lol.

I fish short opportunistic sessions nowerdays where made up rods are a definate advantage. If I where fishing longish sessions then setting up completely on the bank wouldn't really matter to me.

and as I've said before where do the bank sticks & landing net handle go ?
In the extremely light rod quiver that my rod sleeve is attached to Lol

Keith

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Why doesn't anybody do parallel sleeves ?

Just pass a sketch of what you want to your own personal SWMBO - I'm sure she can knock one off with the sewing machine you thoughtfully bought her all those years ago! :eek: Mind you - it might be cheaper and less hassle - in the long run - to buy one at your local tackle shop!:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My son uses a Drennan 13ft Tench & Specimen Float rod (with a short handle extension) which he folds ready made up in its quiver. When I go with him with my 3 piece Drennan Tench rod (not made up) I am always still farting around ages after he has started fishing.

He has nearly always caught several fish by the time I have setup my 3 piece Tench rod because he is ready to cast in less than a minute, wheras I am still farting around threading my line or setting up my float/shot/hook while trying not to scare every fish near me a the same time Lol.

I'm a great fan of 2 piece made up float rods and even if they do need to have a short handle extension. I have never liked 3 piece made up rods, not least because they don't fit into a rod sleeve (they are too short) Lol.

I fish short opportunistic sessions nowerdays where made up rods are a definate advantage. If I where fishing longish sessions then setting up completely on the bank wouldn't really matter to me.

Keith

Keith, Drennan do sleeves for three piece rods, i've got one ;).

Keith M

Reaction score
Keith, Drennan do sleeves for three piece rods, i've got one ;).

Yes but I hate the mess I occasionally get myself into faffing around trying to unfold two pieces let alone three, however I might get one though Lol

Keith

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

That's fine if that's what you like , yea mate the overall construction and quality of the blank is actually brilliant but the design of the 2 sections and then an the odd bit of a handle don't do it for me, but it's each to their own :D

If one is bothered about leaving rods set up which I'm personally not a fan of then I'd much sooner just use a 13 ft 2 section rod, just one fold and elalasticate with a rubber band at each end and then job done :D......simples

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Good for you...but for us simple types that don't want to carry their rods made up its a right royal PITA. I bought an IM8 Classic and its a cracking rod, I don't have a particular issue about the length of the 2 main sections or the detachable screw in butt but I have a major issue with how to transport the damned thing if I don't want to carry it in the stupid bag thing it came in which fits nothing because of the humph where the reel goes. Without a reel attached it doesn't balance [tip heavy] and with/without a reel it wont go in [ or on] any quiver I own other than on its own. I never, ever go out carrying just one rod so that's just peachy thank you so much.... and as I've said before where do the bank sticks & landing net handle go ?

Why doesn't anybody do parallel sleeves or give miserable Old Gits like me the option of buying it in a plain old fit anything cloth rod bag. ?

I really do detest this current fashion of carrying rods already made up. I see no advantage whatsoever in doing so and wont be persuaded otherwise so don't even try.

I'm fully with you on this one as I also dislike carrying rods already made up,

A ) if the reels are left in direct sunlight it deteriorates the line, B) line becomes kinked when wound tight over the rings when rod is folded for any length of time.

Nowadays I don't ever bother with blimmin rod holdalls or quivers as they serve no purpose what so ever for my kind of fishing,

As mentioned earlier I'd sooner have me rod in a cloth rod bag and use a couple of elastic bands by elasticating me rod to the landing net pole whilst travelling,
This works perfectly well for me when I'm roving because I then don't have to carry an empty rod holdall / quiver around all day,

Admittedly though if one is more static and uses more than one rod and also takes a brollie, net pole and bank sticks etc then a small holdall would probably suit

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
My son uses a Drennan 13ft Tench & Specimen Float rod (with a short handle extension) which he folds ready made up in its quiver. When I go with him with my 3 piece Drennan Tench rod (not made up) I am always still farting around ages after he has started fishing.

Keith

With the greatest possible respect, Keith I do not believe that anybody can catch several fish while somebody else sets up . And even if they do....So what ? This is the same attitude that sees people hurtle past me on the road only to end up 1 car length in front at the lights.

I'm pleased that your son is so desperately keen that he needs to have his hook in the water a couple of minutes before you and extend his day by maybe 10 minutes. Me....I really don't think its worth it . I'm neither that desperate nor that competitive.

And I've yet to see any quiver/holdall that will take one of these stupid Freshman sleeves. I'm not talking ordinary sleeves here.... these ones plastered with logos with a stupid little boys handle. Utter rubbish IMO and I simply will not have it

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Keith

With the greatest possible respect, Keith I do not believe that anybody can catch several fish while somebody else sets up . And even if they do....So what ? This is the same attitude that sees people hurtle past me on the road only to end up 1 car length in front at the lights.

I'm pleased that your son is so desperately keen that he needs to have his hook in the water a couple of minutes before you and extend his day by maybe 10 minutes. Me....I really don't think its worth it . I'm neither that desperate nor that competitive.

And I've yet to see any quiver/holdall that will take one of these stupid Drennan ready rod sleeves. I'm not talking ordinary sleeves here.... these ones plastered with logos with a stupid little boys handle. Utter rubbish IMO and I simply will not have it

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Yes but I hate the mess I occasionally get myself into faffing around trying to unfold two pieces let alone three, however I might get one though Lol

Keith

I rest my case. I often get in a mess but not unfolding ready rigged rods. I tried it once and once only. Never again.

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Mind you - it might be cheaper and less hassle - in the long run - to buy one at your local tackle shop!:D

What ? Rod bag or rod sleeves ? I'd be lucky to find either.

Keith M

Reaction score
Skippy, my son is not rushing around desperately trying to catch fish before I setup, like in the picture you paint of him, he is very casually unzipping his rod sleeve, unfolding his rod, baiting his hook, and casually casting. The whole thing takes him (and anyone else that I know) less than around 60 seconds including a quick plumb up.

Meanwhile I am taking my rod sections out of my rod bag fitting them together, then searching in my bag for my reel, then fitting it to the rod then threading the line through all 12 rod rings one by one while trying not to get the line caught up around the reel, then looking for a float in my float box, and some shot and my hook and after fitting my float, tying my hooklength and then plumbing up and fine tuning my shot I am at last ready to bait my hook and cast.

If after all that palava I havent scared everything in front of me I can start catching fish. Meanwhile Stuart is sitting quietly casually playing his second or third fish Lol.

This isn't an exaggeration I promise you, especially as I'm not getting any younger, I can often take 10 to 15 minutes or more faffing around before I can finally cast if I am setting up from scratch Lol. :)

I usually fish short opportunistic one to four hour sessions max nowerdays and so faffing around on the bank with a chance of scaring every fish in front of me is not what I really want to be doing :)

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Each to their own, Keith. Personally I enjoy the setting up ( or faffing about as you call it) and I'm much happier knowing that my rig, hook, knots etc are newly done and not last time outs leftovers. I don't think the time saving is significant taken against the session as a whole.

What I really object to is being virtually forced to do this because of this stupid sleeve gimmick. I simply will not do it.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Rod sleeves have got to be the future. You see them all the time on the TV progs on Discovery Shed. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, rod out, sections mated - fish on! :)

Now back in the real world and its a plastic rod tube that protects my gear. Just need to remember my readers for when I'm threading the line through the rings.

edsurf

Reaction score
Each to their own, Keith. Personally I enjoy the setting up ( or faffing about as you call it) and I'm much happier knowing that my rig, hook, knots etc are newly done and not last time outs leftovers. I don't think the time saving is significant taken against the session as a whole.

What I really object to is being virtually forced to do this because of this stupid sleeve gimmick. I simply will not do it.

I too do not mind setting up on the bank, feeding the swim, checking out the river , choosing the rig set up to match what I see in front of me, not what I set up at home. I am never in that much of a rush to get my rig in the water, and if trotting its nice to set a rhythm before I start.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Rod sleeves have got to be the future. You see them all the time on the TV progs on Discovery Shed. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, rod out, sections mated - fish on! :)

Now back in the real world and its a plastic rod tube that protects my gear. Just need to remember my readers for when I'm threading the line through the rings.

I'm glad that you've decided to stay in the real world Andy as be honest mate there's absolutely no such thing as got to be the future.

Yea you do see all these bags on TV, YouTube and DVDs etc but to me half the time this is just all down to opportunistic fishing and perhaps a little laziness :rolleyes:

There would never be a cat in hells chance in me using these ready made up rod bags,
I like to personally set up on the bank, I like to decide whilst at the water side in how I want to specifically fish on any particular day, I also like to make sure that me line is 100% OK and not chaffted aswell as tying and checking me knots at the start of me session.

No good in having a waggler rod set up in the rod bag only to find that when you get to the river and swim to find that you'd be far better off using a stick float.

If this was the case one would have to break the rig down and change over which defeats in having the rod set up in the first place which is why I'd much rather set up on the bank in me own time,

I don't care if it takes me casually upto 10-15 minutes to set up because in between this I'd feeding and building the swim up anyway before I decide to cast out :thumbs:

End of the day though it's each to there own I suppose and I do actually respect anyone who decides to use em

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
I really don’t get all of this negativity towards made up rods in sleeves. It’s illogical. You buy and use what’s best for you. If you want 2pc rods or 2pc with detachable cork sections so you can fold the made-up rod just once then there are models for you. If you want 3pc float rods in cloth bags then there are rods for you. It makes no sense to buy/choose one format and to absolutely slate the other variety – which you would never choose to use anyway !!!! The 13’ ‘2pc’ rods are very popular in my area so they do appeal to a lot. I doubt if Drennan would keep making them if they didn’t have a customer base and sell so well. And I see padded sleeves and Hardcase type sleeves EVERYWHERE. So the MAJORITY of people I see are taking rods made up. Others don’t and it’s their choice.

I take ALL of my rods made up in sleeves. Float rods & Feeder/bomb rods. I make them up at home ‘fresh’ which I quite enjoy and even then it can take a good 15 minutes to make up a waggler rod and even longer for a FRESH stick float rig. If I need to set up 2, 3 or 4 rods on the bank I really don’t have time for all of this. As I am fishing the river each weekend and drive over it every day I know the conditions – pretty much - and know what I will need. I cannot ever think of a session where I’ve made up the ‘wrong’ kit (especially as I have multiple choice). However, if I have waggler and stick float rods made up and I get there and discover I need an Avon rig then the rod is already assembled and already threaded. I can bite off above the waggler and then attach a READY MADE Avon rig – in seconds (as, together with stick float rigs, these are made up and stored on pole winders). It is so, so simple. And VERY quick.

The other thing about having rods made up and ready to go is I can completely change tactics because the rod is ready to go. I can take it out of its sleeve and be fishing with it in 60 seconds. If I had to make up a rod from scratch I can see myself being lazy, especially it its cold and wet, and making do and that could limit what I catch.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I really don’t get all of this negativity towards made up rods in sleeves. It’s illogical. You buy and use what’s best for you. If you want 2pc rods or 2pc with detachable cork sections so you can fold the made-up rod just once then there are models for you. If you want 3pc float rods in cloth bags then there are rods for you. It makes no sense to buy/choose one format and to absolutely slate the other variety – which you would never choose to use anyway !!!! The 13’ ‘2pc’ rods are very popular in my area so they do appeal to a lot. I doubt if Drennan would keep making them if they didn’t have a customer base and sell so well. And I see padded sleeves and Hardcase type sleeves EVERYWHERE. So the MAJORITY of people I see are taking rods made up. Others don’t and it’s their choice.

I take ALL of my rods made up in sleeves. Float rods & Feeder/bomb rods. I make them up at home ‘fresh’ which I quite enjoy and even then it can take a good 15 minutes to make up a waggler rod and even longer for a FRESH stick float rig. If I need to set up 2, 3 or 4 rods on the bank I really don’t have time for all of this. As I am fishing the river each weekend and drive over it every day I know the conditions – pretty much - and know what I will need. I cannot ever think of a session where I’ve made up the ‘wrong’ kit (especially as I have multiple choice). However, if I have waggler and stick float rods made up and I get there and discover I need an Avon rig then the rod is already assembled and already threaded. I can bite off above the waggler and then attach a READY MADE Avon rig – in seconds (as, together with stick float rigs, these are made up and stored on pole winders). It is so, so simple. And VERY quick.

The other thing about having rods made up and ready to go is I can completely change tactics because the rod is ready to go. I can take it out of its sleeve and be fishing with it in 60 seconds. If I had to make up a rod from scratch I can see myself being lazy, especially it its cold and wet, and making do and that could limit what I catch.

Whilst I honestly do respect yerself and others who prefer to fish with a variety of rods all in hard cases to me this type of fishing is perhaps more suited to statistic peg fishing and maybe in a match situation.

I personally wouldn't really wanna have to lug 2-3 rods in hard cases around with me all day long If I'm covering considerable distances on any river whilst roving being the whole emphasis is to travel light :D

But like I say I respect everyone's views :thumbs:

Keith M

Reaction score

At last a bit of sanity Lol.

I have a tiny one rod quiver which only holds one rod sleeve and madeup rod for the times when I want to do a couple of hours roving, the tiny quiver rolls up and goes in my waist coats rear pocket, and when I move, my fold away rod sleeve goes into my landing net. Simples, far more convenient than having a bulky rod hold-all with me.

If I am going to fish a venue all day and I don't know how I am going to fish it untill I arrive, and choose a swim, then I simply take a quiver with me that takes more rods and rod sleeves, and I will setup rods for different methods at home in comfort before I leave.
Any longer rods or 3 piece rods will be carried inside my quiver in their rod bag inside a plastic tube unmade up; although I might have a look at the rod sleeves designed for 3 piece rods that tigger told me about Lol.

NB: I never use end tackle left over from a previous session and always use freshly tied end tackle.

But most of the time if I am not intending to rove I will just take one or two rod sleeves in a matching 2 rod quiver. (I have 1,2,3 and 5 rod quivers), as I rarely fish more than a few hours and I know the streams rivers and stillwaters that I fish very well and it's very rare for me to not know where or what I'm going to be fishing for and I just take rods to cover the different methods that I may use.

I can't see why there is so much negativity against quivers and rod sleeves, I fully understand why there is a need for standard rod holdhalls especially if you are going to fish all day long on waters where the swims can be very varied and I too will occasionally will take my hold-all if I've no idea as to how I'm going to tackle a new venue and need to take a lot of different rods but these days this is extremely rare.

I understand now how frustrating it must have been when people tried to convince the masses that the world was not flat.:)

If Quivers and rod sleeves are not your thing I can fully understand that, no one is saying that you should use a quiver with rod sleeves, but for thousands of other anglers out there they are just what the doctor ordered :)

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have several of the drennan made up sleeves and a drennan quiver. I got the padded sleeves to offer protection for made up barbel rods when attached to the quiver. When I say made up, I only thread the line through anyhow so hardly worth bothering.
I've only used them once or twice (I forget) and I really don't like them. I know the rods have padding around them but even with the lengths velcro'ed together I feel the guides can get damaged....I have gone back to the cloth rod bags and tubes.
When I go out trotting I do usually make my rod up at home and carefully strap it together with four velcro bands evenly spaced in a way that keeps all the sections separate. I put the rod in the passenger seat, I don't need the seat belt round it as I lower the back of the seat so it lays down on an angle LOL.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Look......my beef is about not being given the option to " buy and use what's best for me" . I have 3 or 4 rods that came in these stupid sleeves. Was I given the option of having them in a plain old rod bag ? No. Will they even fit ? Not the compact ones....No. Can I buy a sleeve that doesn't come with a reel hump so it fits in my quiver ? No.

So......either I have to follow the fashion or be branded a bad angler because I don't . The hell with that....I am forced to carry the damned thing as well as a quiver because it won't fit or attach to anything. That is what I object too. The sleeves are great for storing rods when not in use at home but for me an absolute PITA as soon as I want to use that rod.

And I object to the suggestion that I'm in a minority of one because I'm clearly not. You can have every damned one of my ready rod sleeves with my compliments. I'll carry my rods in a bag/tube and tackle up fresh each time, thanks.

A pox on all rod sleeves.

Last edited: